Re: [S-R] Kolina, Boldizar, John Bolga and Julia Gala

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
      Dear June,
      are you refering to not finding your maiden name anywhere in Europe? there
      are 49 people with the name Kolina in the United States.
      Noreen
    • McKee June
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
        I find them in the united states but when I look at
        the list of hungarian surnames kolina never comes up.
        I was wondering if anyone knew if it is common in
        europe or if it has been changed what it would have
        been. I was also always told that my grandmothers
        maiden name was boldizar but on her death certificate
        her fathers name is bolga. why would that be?

        I have just really started to get into my search and
        havent got very far.

        thanks
        june

        I also havent found anything in ellis island so am
        trying to obtain records at this point from the INS.

        http://faith.yahoo.com
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
          At 07:21 AM 10/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
          >I find them in the united states but when I look at
          >the list of hungarian surnames kolina never comes up.
          >I was wondering if anyone knew if it is common in
          >europe or if it has been changed what it would have
          >been. I was also always told that my grandmothers
          >maiden name was boldizar but on her death certificate
          >her fathers name is bolga. why would that be?
          >
          >I have just really started to get into my search and
          >havent got very far.
          >
          >thanks
          >june

          I believe Kolina in Slovak or Rusyn could be translated as knee (koleno) or
          knees ( kolina ? ).

          John
        • McKee June
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
            thanks John for the info. do you know if there are
            very many Kolinas in slovak?

            http://faith.yahoo.com
          • John M,
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
              At 01:51 PM 10/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
              >thanks John for the info. do you know if there are
              >very many Kolinas in slovak?

              Try Kolena using the Slovakia white
              pages http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html . I didn't have any luck
              with Kolina but there were Kolena, Kolenova, and Koleno in Bratislava and a
              few other towns. There are 30 Kolina and 27 Kolena in the Ellis Island
              database (EIDB). There are 12 Boldiz^ar (pronounced Boldizhar) listed in
              the Kosice online directory and 2 in Bratislava. There are 10 Boldizar
              listed in the EIDB. There are several Bolgac^ (pronounced Bolgach) in
              Bratislava but I didn't find Bolga in the few towns I looked at. There are
              6 Bolga in the EIDB. I found a few Gal'a (pronounced Galya) in
              Kosice. There are 323 Gala in the EIDB. Most are from Slovakia or Italy.

              John
            • McKee June
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 11, 2002
                thanks John I appreciate it. I have checked out in the
                past Kolina in the ellis island but none of which
                would be my family. Do you think there are records
                other than what can be acessed on-line? I know there
                have to be records somewhere but how to obtain them I
                am not too sure. I am trying to get my grandmothers
                naturalization papers but will see if anything becomes
                of it. I have an old picture of her with a number at
                the bottom of it and ends in a "c" reading I found
                that in 1929 they started taking pictures of the new
                citizens so I am hoping that It is that picture and
                maybe they will come back with papers! My grandfather
                is another story because I dont know if he came in at
                ellis island or not, could have been another port in
                new york, but pretty sure it was ny.

                thanks again
                june

                http://faith.yahoo.com
              • Konekta
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 12, 2002
                  Dear June,
                  I have a Bolga surname in my data base.Please, write me directly to konekta@...,sk
                  Vladimir
                  www.konekta.sk

                  I find them in the united states but when I look at
                  the list of hungarian surnames kolina never comes up.
                  I was wondering if anyone knew if it is common in
                  europe or if it has been changed what it would have
                  been. I was also always told that my grandmothers
                  maiden name was boldizar but on her death certificate
                  her fathers name is bolga. why would that be?

                  I have just really started to get into my search and
                  havent got very far.

                  thanks
                  june

                  I also havent found anything in ellis island so am
                  trying to obtain records at this point from the INS.

                  http://faith.yahoo.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor