Re: [S-R] Jakubec Family help

  • alice
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 9, 2002
      Dear Bonnie;

      I was very interested to read your email, since my father was also born in Oresany, his name was Maximilian Roth, he had a twin brother Samuel and a sister Rozsi (Rose )

      Regards

      Alice Hodan
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 9, 2002
        Aloha Alice,

        I just joined Slovak Roots but am wondering about the message you sent. Is
        Oresany the name of the county in the Republic of Slovakia? that was once
        Zemplen in Hungary? My gggrandmother was from Szilvas-Ujfalu, the Benyak
        family and her mothers parents were Kalinyak. I don't know the birthplace
        for Maria Kalinyak before she married Janos Benyak. But I do know that they
        lived in Szilvas in their later years and their daughter married an Ivanco
        and were there in 1912 when my grandmother visited them. Please let me know
        if I wrote something that confused you in my last post.

        Regards from Hawaii,
        Valerie (Bonnie)

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • alice
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 13, 2002
          Hi Bonnie;

          Oresany, is or was a village in Slovakia. It was nowhere near to the places you write about. Unless there was another one by the same name.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 15, 2002
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Bonnie Richards" <richardsi001@h...> wrote:
            > Aloha Alice,
            >
            > I just joined Slovak Roots but am wondering about the message you
            sent. Is
            > Oresany the name of the county in the Republic of Slovakia? that was
            once
            > Zemplen in Hungary? My gggrandmother was from Szilvas-Ujfalu, the
            Benyak
            > family and her mothers parents were Kalinyak. I don't know the
            birthplace
            > for Maria Kalinyak before she married Janos Benyak. But I do know
            that they
            > lived in Szilvas in their later years and their daughter married an
            Ivanco
            > and were there in 1912 when my grandmother visited them. Please let
            me know
            > if I wrote something that confused you in my last post.
            >
            > Regards from Hawaii,
            > Valerie (Bonnie)

            Szilvasújfalu means Silvester's new village in Hungarian.
            It is now called Slivník in Slovak and is located 205 miles
            east of Bratislava and SW of Trebis^ov.
            The LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1744-1919)

            Kolbas (Brezina) is located 206 miles east of Bratislava.
            The LDS-Mormons have filmed the G.C. parish church records (1826-1897)
            for Brezina, Slovakia, formerly Kolbászó, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
            Text in Hungarian, Latin and Ruthenian.

            film #
            1920841
            1920842

            >> We believe that the family are Rusyn-Hungarians from
            the
            > > Sub-Carpathian region. I am still learning about the former
            Hungarian
            > > districts and their history and struggling as well with the
            language,
            > let
            > > alone the confusion of the Ukranian language and now Slovakian.
            I have
            > > cousins in Bratislava, and they consider themselves Czech of
            course.
            > One of
            > > my cousins here thinks we are Czechoslovakian because after the
            war,
            > some
            > > ended up in that region. How easy to forget our heritage.
            > Nevertheless, I
            > > have hit a dead end because myggggrandparents from the 1840's
            appear to
            > have
            > > emmigrated in from somewhere else. We might not even be
            Hungarians
            > after
            > > all!
            > >
            > > Regarding your comments on the name change. Insight in the case
            of my
            > > family may shed some light. In order to Hungarianize the family
            name,
            > my
            > > ggrandfather from Ung who was a Village official and Educator
            changed
            > from
            > > Szuchar to Halasz (a very common Hungarian name) in order to be
            > considered
            > > more Hungarian and politically acceptable. One can have
            allegiance to
            > their
            > > country and be a devoted national, but carry the ethnic heritage
            from
            > > another region or country. The same was so with the
            ggrandparents on my
            > > mother's grandfather's side from Tes, Veszprem.
            > > We found the record of a name altered on a parish recording of
            birth.
            > The
            > > German name Hohenberger in 1860 was crossed out and the
            Hungarian
            > equivalent
            > > Magashegyi (of the high mountain) was replaced. Needless to
            say, we are
            > > having quite a time tracing our roots!
            > >
            > > I hope your searching goes steadily and successfully forward.
            Thanks
            > for
            > > your interest and comments
            > >
            > > Aloha,
            > > Valerie

            Service.

            email to
            > > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...
            > > >
            > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            email to
            > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...

            Service.

            email to
            > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...
            > >
            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Bonnie Richards
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 15, 2002
              Frank,

              Thank-you for the update. My Granny said that Szilvas-Ujfalu meant plums,
              new village or sometning like a common garden snake. Does any of this sound
              right?

              Aloha,
              Bonnie
              > I just joined Slovak Roots but am wondering about the message you
              sent. Is
              > Oresany the name of the county in the Republic of Slovakia? that was
              once
              > Zemplen in Hungary? My gggrandmother was from Szilvas-Ujfalu, the
              Benyak
              > family and her mothers parents were Kalinyak. I don't know the
              birthplace
              > for Maria Kalinyak before she married Janos Benyak. But I do know
              that they
              > lived in Szilvas in their later years and their daughter married an
              Ivanco
              > and were there in 1912 when my grandmother visited them. Please let
              me know
              > if I wrote something that confused you in my last post.
              >
              > Regards from Hawaii,
              > Valerie (Bonnie)

              Szilvasújfalu means Silvester's new village in Hungarian.
              It is now called Slivník in Slovak and is located 205 miles
              east of Bratislava and SW of Trebis^ov.
              The LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1744-1919)

              Service.

              email to
              > > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...
              > > >
              > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              > > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              email to
              > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...

              Service.

              email to
              > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...
              > >
              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 16, 2002
                At 07:15 PM 10/15/2002 -1000, you wrote:
                >Frank,
                >
                >Thank-you for the update. My Granny said that Szilvas-Ujfalu meant plums,
                >new village or sometning like a common garden snake. Does any of this sound
                >right?
                >
                >Aloha,
                >Bonnie

                Slivka or sliva is the word for plum in Slovak and szilva is Hungarian for
                plum. I believe Frank meant that "uj (new)falu (village)" is
                Hungarian. Siklo is a Hungarian word for chicken snake and visisiklo for
                common snake.

                John
              • Frank
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 16, 2002
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Bonnie Richards" <richardsi001@h...> wrote:
                  > Frank,
                  >
                  > Thank-you for the update. My Granny said that Szilvas-Ujfalu meant
                  plums,
                  > new village or sometning like a common garden snake. Does any of
                  this sound
                  > right?
                  >
                  > Aloha,
                  > Bonnie

                  Thought I had replied to the above but I don't see my message.
                  Will try again.

                  Before WW I villages in Slovakia and elsewhere in Hungary had
                  Hungarian places names.

                  A common place name ending was új meaning 'new' and falu/falva
                  meaning 'village'.
                  Equivalent to 'new town' in English.
                  After WW I the Magyar place names in Slovakia were converted to Slovak
                  names.
                  Some in a word for word conversion and some with new place names.

                  Many villages used Hungarian given names as identifiers.
                  For example, Jakabujfalu (Jacob's new village)
                  I just selected the closest first name to word the Szlivas (i.e.,
                  Szilvi,Szilvike)

                  In Hungarian 'szilva' means plum.
                  Slivka (damson plum) and sliva (plum) in Slovak and slíva in Czech.
                  Expect your GM was correct.
                  Szilvásújfalu meant new village (which probably grew) plums.
                  Hence Slivník in Slovak.

                  Slivovitz/slivovic is a colorless but potent Eastern European brandy
                  made from plums derived from the word s^ljiva (plum)
                  In Slovak 'slivovica' means slivovitz.
                  The languages change but the ethnic tastes remain the same.

                  Incidentally , while its church was R.C., in 1806 Slivník was a
                  Carpatho-Rusyn village (G.C.)
                • Konekta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 17, 2002
                    I just like to add, that both, personal names and place names, in use among ordinary people, were slovak.
                    Only for the official use, these names were in hungarian.
                    I see no good reason to continue with magyarisation now, so I always use the slovak spelling for slovak names.
                    Only when researching Ellis Island records, one has to take account of this.
                    If a person named Stefan Krajci was coming from the Austrian part of the empire, his name was Stefan or Stephan Krajci. But, if he was coming from the hungarian part, he was Istvan Krajcsi.
                    Of course, in the Church Records, we find names in all variations; slovak, latin, hungarian and german.
                    But, Slovaks were always Slovaks.
                    Although, this term is a very wide one.
                    The current population of Slovakia are descendants of;
                    ancient Slovaks or Slavs, Germans, Czech,Poles, Jews,Russians, Rusyns,Ukrainians, Romanians, Hungarians,Gipsies, Croats, Serbs,Swiss,British, Italian, French,(and one Slovene) to name just the most important ones.
                    I have seen records of all those ethnics in the old Church Records.
                    The common denominator for most of them (not all), that found themselves on the territory of present Slovakia (there was a lot of migration in all directions in all times), was the slovak language, that was adopted by those, who came from other places.Although, they were living in a hungarian state.
                    This was the base for the Slovak Nation. The language.
                    Now, to tell, who is an ethnic Slovak, and who not....., I haven't seen this yet.
                    So, Slovakia is as multi ethnic as US, in a way. What can we learn from US in this respect?

                    Well, sorry, it wasn't meant this way, but it turned out this way.
                    I find this quite a fascinating challenge.

                    Regards,
                    Vladimir

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 17, 2002
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
                      > I just like to add, that both, personal names and place names, in
                      use among ordinary people, were slovak.
                      > Only for the official use, these names were in hungarian.
                      > I see no good reason to continue with magyarisation now, so I always
                      use the slovak spelling for slovak names.
                      > Only when researching Ellis Island records, one has to take account
                      of this.
                      > If a person named Stefan Krajci was coming from the Austrian part of
                      the empire, his name was Stefan or Stephan Krajci. But, if he was
                      coming from the hungarian part, he was Istvan Krajcsi.
                      > Of course, in the Church Records, we find names in all variations;
                      slovak, latin, hungarian and german.
                      > But, Slovaks were always Slovaks.
                      > Although, this term is a very wide one.
                      > The current population of Slovakia are descendants of;
                      > ancient Slovaks or Slavs, Germans, Czech,Poles, Jews,Russians,
                      Rusyns,Ukrainians, Romanians, Hungarians,Gipsies, Croats,
                      Serbs,Swiss,British, Italian, French,(and one Slovene) to name just
                      the most important ones.
                      > I have seen records of all those ethnics in the old Church Records.
                      > The common denominator for most of them (not all), that found
                      themselves on the territory of present Slovakia (there was a lot of
                      migration in all directions in all times), was the slovak language,
                      that was adopted by those, who came from other places.Although, they
                      were living in a hungarian state.
                      > This was the base for the Slovak Nation. The language.
                      > Now, to tell, who is an ethnic Slovak, and who not....., I haven't
                      seen this yet.
                      > So, Slovakia is as multi ethnic as US, in a way. What can we learn
                      from US in this respect?

                      > Well, sorry, it wasn't meant this way, but it turned out this way.
                      > I find this quite a fascinating challenge.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Vladimir

                      You make a number of good points.
                      But, it depends in which country the researcher is a resident.

                      The Slovaks were the first nation to establish an independent state
                      in Central Europe about 624 A.D.

                      The territory of Slovakia was once ruled by Slovak Kings.
                      The Czechs were under the rule of the Slovaks from about 889 A.D.
                      to 894 A.D.
                      In the 10th c the Slovak Kingdom was destroyed by an alliance of
                      Magyars, Czechs and Germans.
                      (The Czechs and the Magyars both deny that there were ever any Slovak
                      kings or Slovak nation)
                      Nevertheless, the Magyars ruled Slovakia from 906 A.D. to 1918 A.D.,
                      nearly a thousand years !

                      Most Americans use the LDS-Mormons microfilms of the parish church
                      records to research their surnames.
                      These were written in Latin and Hungarian.
                      Sometimes in German or Ruthenian.
                      (Usually only the film headers are written in Slovak)

                      So regardless of the social reality, the place names and personal
                      names tend to be in Hungarian.
                      And in the emigrant ship manifests many Slovak first names/ surnames
                      are listed under their Hungarian spellings rather than the Slovak
                      versions (even after the introduction of diacritic letters to the
                      Slovak language in the mid 1800s)

                      Service.