Last name

  • Sarah L. Wokurka
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
      I am looking for information on my last name (i.e., the origin, its meaning, our family crest, etc.).

      The Name is: WOKURKA

      I know that the first Wokurka (his name was Wenzel) arrived in 1910 from Bohemia. He was born in 1861 in Prague and worked as a Tailor in St. Louis. He married a woman named Anna and they had five children. If you have information regarding their history before they moved to America, please let me know. (The rest has been recorded)

      Thanks.

      "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life." John 3:16
      Sarah L. Wokurka
      FOCUS Missionary
      Carroll College
      406-447-4365

    • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
        Dear Sarah
        Okurka means cucumber in Czech, but in slang it is sometimes pronounced vokurka. Some similarity there. I hope it helps.

        Best regards

        Sylvia

        "Sarah L. Wokurka" wrote:
        I am looking for information on my last name (i.e., the origin, its meaning, our family crest, etc.).

        The Name is: WOKURKA

        I know that the first Wokurka (his name was Wenzel) arrived in 1910 from Bohemia. He was born in 1861 in Prague and worked as a Tailor in St. Louis. He married a woman named Anna and they had five children. If you have information regarding their history before they moved to America, please let me know. (The rest has been recorded)

        Thanks.

        "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life." John 3:16
        Sarah L. Wokurka
        FOCUS Missionary
        Carroll College
        406-447-4365