Fw: [Galicia]... VIRUS ALERT!!!!!

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
      I received this message below today, please follow the instructions to
      delete this virus.

      Peggy
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
        At 06:23 PM 10/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:

        This is a hoax:
        http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

        John

        >I received this message below today, please follow the instructions to
        >delete this virus.
        >

        >Peggy

      • Michele and Bryan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
          http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file
          hoax.html
          For more info..read on at this site.

          Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax
          Reported on: April 12, 2002
          Last Updated on: July 16, 2002 07:22:47 AM PDT

          Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding
          this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern.

          Type: Hoax

          This is a hoax that, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning hoax, tries to persuade
          you to delete a legitimate Windows file from your computer. The file that
          the hoax refers to, Jdbgmgr.exe, is a Java Debugger Manager. It is a
          Microsoft file that is installed when you install Windows.

          It has a teddy bear icon as described in the hoax:

          CAUTION: Jdbgmgr.exe, like any file, can become infected by a virus. One
          virus in particular, W32.Efortune.31384@mm, targets this file. Norton
          AntiVirus has provided protection against W32.Efortune.31384@mm since May 11
          2001.

          NOTE: If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe file, some Java applets
          may not run correctly. This is not a critical system file. The file version
          may vary with your operating system and version of Internet Explorer. If you
          want to restore the file, read the instructions in the How to restore the
          Jdbgmgr.exefile section at the end of this document.

          From: galicia@...
          Date: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 17:55:17
          To: Deena; galicia@...; hans@...; Hillary; James Pula;
          Jess; Jim McDonnel; Katherine; Krissy; Marnie; Martin Meiss; Peter Crissey;
          Ron Bagliere; RootsWeb Review; TIMOTHY A RAYMOND; Tom Kalbus; Torin Crissey;
          waynebeavers@...

          > Hi all -
          > I just got this from one of my friends, please do the steps it calls
          > for.
          It
          > was on my drive, so I assume you got it too!
          > -----------------
          >
          > I just received this alert and found my computer infected and
          > unknowingly sending it to every body in my address list without
          > actually sending any messages. Please use the instructions below to
          > remove the virus and alert all in your own address book.
          >
          > Virus Alert.
          > A collegue's Address Book has been infected by a virus and it was
          > passed on to my computer. My Address Book, in turn, has been infected.
          > The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee
          > anti-virus systems. The virus sits dormant for 14 days before damaging
          > the system. It's sent automatically by messenger and by the address
          > book, whether or not
          > you sent e-mails to your contacts.
          > Here is how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.
          > 1. Go to Start, click on Find or Search option.
          > 2. In the Files/Folders option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
          > 3. Be sure you search your C: drive and any other drives you may have.
          > 4. Click "Find now "
          > 5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
          > IT
          > 6. Go to edit; choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening
          > it
          > 7. Now go to file and select "delete". It will then go to the Recycle Bin
          > 8. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.
          > IF YOU FIND THIS VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
          > BOOK
          > SO THAT THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
          > SORRY ABOUT THIS. I'M SURE THAT AS I HAVE FOUND IT EVERYONE IN MY ADDRESS
          > BOOK WILL HAVE IT AS WELL.
          > To do this open new e-mail message
          > Click the photo of address book next to "To"
          > Click every name and add it to BCC
          > Copy this message, enter Subject, paste to e-mail,
          > Sorry all.
          Tom
          ==^==^=============================================================
          This email was sent to: mleva@...

          http://www.topica
          com/partner/tag02/register==^==^=============================================

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Cindy
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
            THIS IS A HOAX

            http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html
            go here and it will show you how to reintall it if you've already deleted it.

            Jess; Jim McDonnel; Katherine; Krissy; Marnie; Martin Meiss; Peter Crissey;
            Ron Bagliere; RootsWeb Review; TIMOTHY A RAYMOND; Tom Kalbus; Torin Crissey;
            waynebeavers@...

            > Hi all -
            > I just got this from one of my friends, please do the steps it calls
            > for.
            It
            > was on my drive, so I assume you got it too!
            > -----------------
            >
            > I just received this alert and found my computer infected and
            > unknowingly sending it to every body in my address list without
            > actually sending any messages. Please use the instructions below to
            > remove the virus and alert all in your own address book.
            >
            > Virus Alert.
            > A collegue's Address Book has been infected by a virus and it was
            > passed on to my computer. My Address Book, in turn, has been infected.
            > The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee
            > anti-virus systems. The virus sits dormant for 14 days before damaging
            > the system. It's sent automatically by messenger and by the address
            > book, whether or not
            > you sent e-mails to your contacts.
            > Here is how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.
            > 1. Go to Start, click on Find or Search option.
            > 2. In the Files/Folders option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
            > 3. Be sure you search your C: drive and any other drives you may have.
            > 4. Click "Find now "
            > 5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
            > IT
            > 6. Go to edit; choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening
            > it
            > 7. Now go to file and select "delete". It will then go to the Recycle Bin
            > 8. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.
            > IF YOU FIND THIS VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
            > BOOK
            > SO THAT THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
            > SORRY ABOUT THIS. I'M SURE THAT AS I HAVE FOUND IT EVERYONE IN MY ADDRESS
            > BOOK WILL HAVE IT AS WELL.
            > To do this open new e-mail message
            > Click the photo of address book next to "To"
            > Click every name and add it to BCC
            > Copy this message, enter Subject, paste to e-mail,
            > Sorry all.
            Tom
            ==^==^=============================================================
            This email was sent to: mleva@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Ron Matviyak
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
              This was just written up in our Sunday paper as a hoax. It is a rather
              harmless hoax, as the teddy bear is used for people who program in computer
              language (java perhaps?) but it is not necessary for operating your computer
              properly.

              If you are unsure, do a web search on computer hoaxes and you should find a
              thorough story...