Jakubec Family help

  • xgusto
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
      Dear all there,

      Allow me to use the opposite service.
      I know, that this forum is for the people looking ancestors
      in previous Austrian-Hungarian Empire. But the amount
      of information in this Discussion is much greater as
      I can obtain in Slovakia.
      I am looking for my family relatives already 2 years.
      My grandmother was born in small village Dolne Oresany
      in West Slovakia. Her maidem surname was JAKUBEC
      (exactly) She had 3 brothers. Pavel (Paul),
      Stefan (Steven ?? Stephen) and Ignac (????).
      They have emigrated in USA.in 1910-1915.
      I was looking in SSI, in Federal Census 1930,
      in Nationalization Register, but always the information
      was not correct enough.
      Now I found in the St. Michael Archangel Church data
      in Lansfort the correct information of the uncles of my mam.
      I believe there are more informations about the JAKUBECs
      from Dolne Oresany in Slovakia. Maybe there are some
      persons with the surname Jakubec, or daugters or sons
      of these persons.
      All what I know is that all of these persons were born prior 1890.
      They should live in Ohio, but this is not sure.
      What I found is information about the naturalization, but again
      I am not 100% sure that this Paul Jakubec is the same Jakubec
      as the in the St. Michael Church.

      Jakubec Paul
      Address: 2379 W. 7th St., Cleveland, Ohio
      1849079-Vol. 70, pg. 61 Court of Common Pleas, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland, Ohio
      Born: Czechoslovakia Apr. 11, 1888
      Date and Port: Mar. 21, 1914, Baltimore, Md.
      Naturalized: Mar. 15, 1923
      Witnesses: Andrew Loska, 3382 W. 44th St. John Lavdis, 2189 Professor Ave.
      Notes: Soundex: J212
      ???? Death:Jan. 1965

      Many thanks for any info or contact.

      Augustin Straka
      Bratislava
      Slovakia.

    • Sharon Hronsky

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
          Dear Sharon,

          Thanks for your contact. It seems that my family is all over the map.
          First let me tell you a little about us. I'm a third generation Hungarian.
          My Granny was from Ung county in Hungary which is now in the Ukraine. Her
          grandparents were from Zemplen county (Szilvas-Ujfalu) and worshipped in the
          Greek Catholic church in Kolbasa. Hence, their village is now in the Slovak
          Republic. We believe that the family are Rusyn-Hungarians from the
          Sub-Carpathian region. I am still learning about the former Hungarian
          districts and their history and struggling as well with the language, let
          alone the confusion of the Ukranian language and now Slovakian. I have
          cousins in Bratislava, and they consider themselves Czech of course. One of
          my cousins here thinks we are Czechoslovakian because after the war, some
          ended up in that region. How easy to forget our heritage. Nevertheless, I
          have hit a dead end because myggggrandparents from the 1840's appear to have
          emmigrated in from somewhere else. We might not even be Hungarians after
          all!

          Regarding your comments on the name change. Insight in the case of my
          family may shed some light. In order to Hungarianize the family name, my
          ggrandfather from Ung who was a Village official and Educator changed from
          Szuchar to Halasz (a very common Hungarian name) in order to be considered
          more Hungarian and politically acceptable. One can have allegiance to their
          country and be a devoted national, but carry the ethnic heritage from
          another region or country. The same was so with the ggrandparents on my
          mother's grandfather's side from Tes, Veszprem.
          We found the record of a name altered on a parish recording of birth. The
          German name Hohenberger in 1860 was crossed out and the Hungarian equivalent
          Magashegyi (of the high mountain) was replaced. Needless to say, we are
          having quite a time tracing our roots!

          I hope your searching goes steadily and successfully forward. Thanks for
          your interest and comments

          Aloha,
          Valerie
          > Hi I am not related to you but was pleased to see a person from Slovak
          Republic on the mailing list. My husbands family are from Zavadka and
          Pohorela and we hope to go to Slovak Republic one day soon. Best of luck
          with your inquiry Sharon Hronsky PS. Our name was changed from GUTTMANN to
          HRONSKY in 1941. Quite often when we ask other HRONSKY people if they are
          related to us we find out that their name was changed also. Do you know the
          reason for this and why people choose the name HRONSKY? I know the name
          HRONSKY translates to 'from Hron', Hron being the main river in Slovak
          Republic.
          > xgusto wrote:Dear all there,
          >
          > Allow me to use the opposite service.
          > I know, that this forum is for the people looking ancestors
          > in previous Austrian-Hungarian Empire. But the amount
          > of information in this Discussion is much greater as
          > I can obtain in Slovakia.
          > I am looking for my family relatives already 2 years.
          > My grandmother was born in small village Dolne Oresany
          > in West Slovakia. Her maidem surname was JAKUBEC
          > (exactly) She had 3 brothers. Pavel (Paul),
          > Stefan (Steven ?? Stephen) and Ignac (????).
          > They have emigrated in USA.in 1910-1915.
          > I was looking in SSI, in Federal Census 1930,
          > in Nationalization Register, but always the information
          > was not correct enough.
          > Now I found in the St. Michael Archangel Church data
          > in Lansfort the correct information of the uncles of my mam.
          > I believe there are more informations about the JAKUBECs
          > from Dolne Oresany in Slovakia. Maybe there are some
          > persons with the surname Jakubec, or daugters or sons
          > of these persons.
          > All what I know is that all of these persons were born prior 1890.
          > They should live in Ohio, but this is not sure.
          > What I found is information about the naturalization, but again
          > I am not 100% sure that this Paul Jakubec is the same Jakubec
          > as the in the St. Michael Church.
          >
          > Jakubec Paul
          > Address: 2379 W. 7th St., Cleveland, Ohio
          > 1849079-Vol. 70, pg. 61 Court of Common Pleas, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland,
          Ohio
          > Born: Czechoslovakia Apr. 11, 1888
          > Date and Port: Mar. 21, 1914, Baltimore, Md.
          > Naturalized: Mar. 15, 1923
          > Witnesses: Andrew Loska, 3382 W. 44th St. John Lavdis, 2189 Professor Ave.
          > Notes: Soundex: J212
          > ???? Death:Jan. 1965
          >
          > Many thanks for any info or contact.
          >
          > Augustin Straka
          > Bratislava
          > Slovakia.

        • alice
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 9, 2002
            Dear Bonnie;

            I was very interested to read your email, since my father was also born in Oresany, his name was Maximilian Roth, he had a twin brother Samuel and a sister Rozsi (Rose )

            Regards

            Alice Hodan

            > Hi I am not related to you but was pleased to see a person from Slovak
            Republic on the mailing list. My husbands family are from Zavadka and
            Pohorela and we hope to go to Slovak Republic one day soon. Best of luck
            with your inquiry Sharon Hronsky PS. Our name was changed from GUTTMANN to
            HRONSKY in 1941. Quite often when we ask other HRONSKY people if they are
            related to us we find out that their name was changed also. Do you know the
            reason for this and why people choose the name HRONSKY? I know the name
            HRONSKY translates to 'from Hron', Hron being the main river in Slovak
            Republic.
            > xgusto wrote:Dear all there,
            >
            > Allow me to use the opposite service.
            > I know, that this forum is for the people looking ancestors
            > in previous Austrian-Hungarian Empire. But the amount
            > of information in this Discussion is much greater as
            > I can obtain in Slovakia.
            > I am looking for my family relatives already 2 years.
            > My grandmother was born in small village Dolne Oresany
            > in West Slovakia. Her maidem surname was JAKUBEC
            > (exactly) She had 3 brothers. Pavel (Paul),
            > Stefan (Steven ?? Stephen) and Ignac (????).
            > They have emigrated in USA.in 1910-1915.
            > I was looking in SSI, in Federal Census 1930,
            > in Nationalization Register, but always the information
            > was not correct enough.
            > Now I found in the St. Michael Archangel Church data
            > in Lansfort the correct information of the uncles of my mam.
            > I believe there are more informations about the JAKUBECs
            > from Dolne Oresany in Slovakia. Maybe there are some
            > persons with the surname Jakubec, or daugters or sons
            > of these persons.
            > All what I know is that all of these persons were born prior 1890.
            > They should live in Ohio, but this is not sure.
            > What I found is information about the naturalization, but again
            > I am not 100% sure that this Paul Jakubec is the same Jakubec
            > as the in the St. Michael Church.
            >
            > Jakubec Paul
            > Address: 2379 W. 7th St., Cleveland, Ohio
            > 1849079-Vol. 70, pg. 61 Court of Common Pleas, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland,
            Ohio
            > Born: Czechoslovakia Apr. 11, 1888
            > Date and Port: Mar. 21, 1914, Baltimore, Md.
            > Naturalized: Mar. 15, 1923
            > Witnesses: Andrew Loska, 3382 W. 44th St. John Lavdis, 2189 Professor Ave.
            > Notes: Soundex: J212
            > ???? Death:Jan. 1965
            >
            > Many thanks for any info or contact.
            >
            > Augustin Straka
            > Bratislava
            > Slovakia.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Bonnie Richards
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2002
              Aloha Alice,

              I just joined Slovak Roots but am wondering about the message you sent. Is
              Oresany the name of the county in the Republic of Slovakia? that was once
              Zemplen in Hungary? My gggrandmother was from Szilvas-Ujfalu, the Benyak
              family and her mothers parents were Kalinyak. I don't know the birthplace
              for Maria Kalinyak before she married Janos Benyak. But I do know that they
              lived in Szilvas in their later years and their daughter married an Ivanco
              and were there in 1912 when my grandmother visited them. Please let me know
              if I wrote something that confused you in my last post.

              Regards from Hawaii,
              Valerie (Bonnie)

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • alice
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 13, 2002
                Hi Bonnie;

                Oresany, is or was a village in Slovakia. It was nowhere near to the places you write about. Unless there was another one by the same name.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 15, 2002
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Bonnie Richards" <richardsi001@h...> wrote:
                  > Aloha Alice,
                  >
                  > I just joined Slovak Roots but am wondering about the message you
                  sent. Is
                  > Oresany the name of the county in the Republic of Slovakia? that was
                  once
                  > Zemplen in Hungary? My gggrandmother was from Szilvas-Ujfalu, the
                  Benyak
                  > family and her mothers parents were Kalinyak. I don't know the
                  birthplace
                  > for Maria Kalinyak before she married Janos Benyak. But I do know
                  that they
                  > lived in Szilvas in their later years and their daughter married an
                  Ivanco
                  > and were there in 1912 when my grandmother visited them. Please let
                  me know
                  > if I wrote something that confused you in my last post.
                  >
                  > Regards from Hawaii,
                  > Valerie (Bonnie)

                  Szilvasújfalu means Silvester's new village in Hungarian.
                  It is now called Slivník in Slovak and is located 205 miles
                  east of Bratislava and SW of Trebis^ov.
                  The LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1744-1919)

                  Kolbas (Brezina) is located 206 miles east of Bratislava.
                  The LDS-Mormons have filmed the G.C. parish church records (1826-1897)
                  for Brezina, Slovakia, formerly Kolbászó, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
                  Text in Hungarian, Latin and Ruthenian.

                  film #
                  1920841
                  1920842

                  >> We believe that the family are Rusyn-Hungarians from
                  the
                  > > Sub-Carpathian region. I am still learning about the former
                  Hungarian
                  > > districts and their history and struggling as well with the
                  language,
                  > let
                  > > alone the confusion of the Ukranian language and now Slovakian.
                  I have
                  > > cousins in Bratislava, and they consider themselves Czech of
                  course.
                  > One of
                  > > my cousins here thinks we are Czechoslovakian because after the
                  war,
                  > some
                  > > ended up in that region. How easy to forget our heritage.
                  > Nevertheless, I
                  > > have hit a dead end because myggggrandparents from the 1840's
                  appear to
                  > have
                  > > emmigrated in from somewhere else. We might not even be
                  Hungarians
                  > after
                  > > all!
                  > >
                  > > Regarding your comments on the name change. Insight in the case
                  of my
                  > > family may shed some light. In order to Hungarianize the family
                  name,
                  > my
                  > > ggrandfather from Ung who was a Village official and Educator
                  changed
                  > from
                  > > Szuchar to Halasz (a very common Hungarian name) in order to be
                  > considered
                  > > more Hungarian and politically acceptable. One can have
                  allegiance to
                  > their
                  > > country and be a devoted national, but carry the ethnic heritage
                  from
                  > > another region or country. The same was so with the
                  ggrandparents on my
                  > > mother's grandfather's side from Tes, Veszprem.
                  > > We found the record of a name altered on a parish recording of
                  birth.
                  > The
                  > > German name Hohenberger in 1860 was crossed out and the
                  Hungarian
                  > equivalent
                  > > Magashegyi (of the high mountain) was replaced. Needless to
                  say, we are
                  > > having quite a time tracing our roots!
                  > >
                  > > I hope your searching goes steadily and successfully forward.
                  Thanks
                  > for
                  > > your interest and comments
                  > >
                  > > Aloha,
                  > > Valerie

                  Service.

                  email to
                  > > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...
                  > > >
                  > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  > > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  email to
                  > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...

                  Service.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 15, 2002
                    Frank,

                    Thank-you for the update. My Granny said that Szilvas-Ujfalu meant plums,
                    new village or sometning like a common garden snake. Does any of this sound
                    right?

                    Aloha,
                    Bonnie
                    > I just joined Slovak Roots but am wondering about the message you
                    sent. Is
                    > Oresany the name of the county in the Republic of Slovakia? that was
                    once
                    > Zemplen in Hungary? My gggrandmother was from Szilvas-Ujfalu, the
                    Benyak
                    > family and her mothers parents were Kalinyak. I don't know the
                    birthplace
                    > for Maria Kalinyak before she married Janos Benyak. But I do know
                    that they
                    > lived in Szilvas in their later years and their daughter married an
                    Ivanco
                    > and were there in 1912 when my grandmother visited them. Please let
                    me know
                    > if I wrote something that confused you in my last post.
                    >
                    > Regards from Hawaii,
                    > Valerie (Bonnie)

                    Szilvasújfalu means Silvester's new village in Hungarian.
                    It is now called Slivník in Slovak and is located 205 miles
                    east of Bratislava and SW of Trebis^ov.
                    The LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1744-1919)

                    Service.

                    email to
                    > > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...
                    > > >
                    > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    > > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    email to
                    > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...

                    Service.

                    email to
                    > SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@y...
                    > >
                    > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 16, 2002
                      At 07:15 PM 10/15/2002 -1000, you wrote:
                      >Frank,
                      >
                      >Thank-you for the update. My Granny said that Szilvas-Ujfalu meant plums,
                      >new village or sometning like a common garden snake. Does any of this sound
                      >right?
                      >
                      >Aloha,
                      >Bonnie

                      Slivka or sliva is the word for plum in Slovak and szilva is Hungarian for
                      plum. I believe Frank meant that "uj (new)falu (village)" is
                      Hungarian. Siklo is a Hungarian word for chicken snake and visisiklo for
                      common snake.

                      John
                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 16, 2002
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Bonnie Richards" <richardsi001@h...> wrote:
                        > Frank,
                        >
                        > Thank-you for the update. My Granny said that Szilvas-Ujfalu meant
                        plums,
                        > new village or sometning like a common garden snake. Does any of
                        this sound
                        > right?
                        >
                        > Aloha,
                        > Bonnie

                        Thought I had replied to the above but I don't see my message.
                        Will try again.

                        Before WW I villages in Slovakia and elsewhere in Hungary had
                        Hungarian places names.

                        A common place name ending was új meaning 'new' and falu/falva
                        meaning 'village'.
                        Equivalent to 'new town' in English.
                        After WW I the Magyar place names in Slovakia were converted to Slovak
                        names.
                        Some in a word for word conversion and some with new place names.

                        Many villages used Hungarian given names as identifiers.
                        For example, Jakabujfalu (Jacob's new village)
                        I just selected the closest first name to word the Szlivas (i.e.,
                        Szilvi,Szilvike)

                        In Hungarian 'szilva' means plum.
                        Slivka (damson plum) and sliva (plum) in Slovak and slíva in Czech.
                        Expect your GM was correct.
                        Szilvásújfalu meant new village (which probably grew) plums.
                        Hence Slivník in Slovak.

                        Slivovitz/slivovic is a colorless but potent Eastern European brandy
                        made from plums derived from the word s^ljiva (plum)
                        In Slovak 'slivovica' means slivovitz.
                        The languages change but the ethnic tastes remain the same.

                        Incidentally , while its church was R.C., in 1806 Slivník was a
                        Carpatho-Rusyn village (G.C.)
                      • Konekta
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 17, 2002
                          I just like to add, that both, personal names and place names, in use among ordinary people, were slovak.
                          Only for the official use, these names were in hungarian.
                          I see no good reason to continue with magyarisation now, so I always use the slovak spelling for slovak names.
                          Only when researching Ellis Island records, one has to take account of this.
                          If a person named Stefan Krajci was coming from the Austrian part of the empire, his name was Stefan or Stephan Krajci. But, if he was coming from the hungarian part, he was Istvan Krajcsi.
                          Of course, in the Church Records, we find names in all variations; slovak, latin, hungarian and german.
                          But, Slovaks were always Slovaks.
                          Although, this term is a very wide one.
                          The current population of Slovakia are descendants of;
                          ancient Slovaks or Slavs, Germans, Czech,Poles, Jews,Russians, Rusyns,Ukrainians, Romanians, Hungarians,Gipsies, Croats, Serbs,Swiss,British, Italian, French,(and one Slovene) to name just the most important ones.
                          I have seen records of all those ethnics in the old Church Records.
                          The common denominator for most of them (not all), that found themselves on the territory of present Slovakia (there was a lot of migration in all directions in all times), was the slovak language, that was adopted by those, who came from other places.Although, they were living in a hungarian state.
                          This was the base for the Slovak Nation. The language.
                          Now, to tell, who is an ethnic Slovak, and who not....., I haven't seen this yet.
                          So, Slovakia is as multi ethnic as US, in a way. What can we learn from US in this respect?

                          Well, sorry, it wasn't meant this way, but it turned out this way.
                          I find this quite a fascinating challenge.

                          Regards,
                          Vladimir

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 17, 2002
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
                            > I just like to add, that both, personal names and place names, in
                            use among ordinary people, were slovak.
                            > Only for the official use, these names were in hungarian.
                            > I see no good reason to continue with magyarisation now, so I always
                            use the slovak spelling for slovak names.
                            > Only when researching Ellis Island records, one has to take account
                            of this.
                            > If a person named Stefan Krajci was coming from the Austrian part of
                            the empire, his name was Stefan or Stephan Krajci. But, if he was
                            coming from the hungarian part, he was Istvan Krajcsi.
                            > Of course, in the Church Records, we find names in all variations;
                            slovak, latin, hungarian and german.
                            > But, Slovaks were always Slovaks.
                            > Although, this term is a very wide one.
                            > The current population of Slovakia are descendants of;
                            > ancient Slovaks or Slavs, Germans, Czech,Poles, Jews,Russians,
                            Rusyns,Ukrainians, Romanians, Hungarians,Gipsies, Croats,
                            Serbs,Swiss,British, Italian, French,(and one Slovene) to name just
                            the most important ones.
                            > I have seen records of all those ethnics in the old Church Records.
                            > The common denominator for most of them (not all), that found
                            themselves on the territory of present Slovakia (there was a lot of
                            migration in all directions in all times), was the slovak language,
                            that was adopted by those, who came from other places.Although, they
                            were living in a hungarian state.
                            > This was the base for the Slovak Nation. The language.
                            > Now, to tell, who is an ethnic Slovak, and who not....., I haven't
                            seen this yet.
                            > So, Slovakia is as multi ethnic as US, in a way. What can we learn
                            from US in this respect?

                            > Well, sorry, it wasn't meant this way, but it turned out this way.
                            > I find this quite a fascinating challenge.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Vladimir

                            You make a number of good points.
                            But, it depends in which country the researcher is a resident.

                            The Slovaks were the first nation to establish an independent state
                            in Central Europe about 624 A.D.

                            The territory of Slovakia was once ruled by Slovak Kings.
                            The Czechs were under the rule of the Slovaks from about 889 A.D.
                            to 894 A.D.
                            In the 10th c the Slovak Kingdom was destroyed by an alliance of
                            Magyars, Czechs and Germans.
                            (The Czechs and the Magyars both deny that there were ever any Slovak
                            kings or Slovak nation)
                            Nevertheless, the Magyars ruled Slovakia from 906 A.D. to 1918 A.D.,
                            nearly a thousand years !

                            Most Americans use the LDS-Mormons microfilms of the parish church
                            records to research their surnames.
                            These were written in Latin and Hungarian.
                            Sometimes in German or Ruthenian.
                            (Usually only the film headers are written in Slovak)

                            So regardless of the social reality, the place names and personal
                            names tend to be in Hungarian.
                            And in the emigrant ship manifests many Slovak first names/ surnames
                            are listed under their Hungarian spellings rather than the Slovak
                            versions (even after the introduction of diacritic letters to the
                            Slovak language in the mid 1800s)

                            Service.