Ship's Manifests-special circumstances

  • Mebjwb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi,

      Thank all of you again for the very informative, helpful information you
      have donated. I am sure you have helped many of us to search through the
      difficult mystery of Slovak genealogy.

      My maternal grandparents came to the U.S. between 1898 and 1900, although I
      have not been able to locate them as yet on any Manifest lists or Census
      lists. I thought about working backwards from the years 1903/1904. My
      Grandparents had been residing in PA for several years when my Grandmother
      went back to care for her dying Mother. Unknown to her, she was pregnant at
      the time. When she tried to return to the U.S. she was denied entry because
      she was pregnant. I remember being told, as a child, that "they" sent her
      back. My Uncle was born two days out to sea on that return trip to Europe.

      My question is this: What resources did a very young woman who spoke very
      little English, had just given birth, and probably had very little money,
      have in that situation? Who could help her? Are there any records available
      for that type of problem?

      She eventually got back to PA., but is there any way I can use this
      information for a search for her and her infant son on the final return trip
      back to the U.S.?

      Marge Bonifield