Re: Ships & comments

  • Alice
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 1999
      Thanks Bob for your help however I have already tried that URL and my ships are
      not on it. I wonder if there is a 'mailing list' that deals with immigrant ships
      where someone can do a lookup. Does anyone have that information?
      Alice

    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 1999
        The biggest list for Ships information is TheShipsList which you can
        join by sending subscribe to TheShipsList-L-request@... or
        TheShipsList-D-request@... for digest ( which I would recommend
        as its a very large list with nearly 1700 people and generates about
        40-50 emails on a busy day).

        Remember tho that its highly unlikely that anyone can do a "lookup" in
        anything other than book or Cd indexes, which are full of omissions and
        mistakes. That's not opinion, that's fact. The best thing you can do is
        to search original records yourself if at all possible.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Alice
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
          Thanks Maura for the info, however, I must tell you that I was on a 'ships list'
          about a year or so ago when I was researching the other side of the family and they
          did lookups for anyone who asked, it was a matter of pride with them and perhaps a
          little competition on who could come up with the answer the quickest. The result was
          they found two of the ships we were looking for, and then, I was able to order the
          films and look at the manifest and photocopy it for posterity. Darn, I wish I could
          remember that URL. I have had nothing but positive results with my dealings with
          them, they were wonderful. So never say never!
          Alice
          PS: regarding the ongoing discussion re emigration patterns and the history behind it
          has been most enlightening. I have learned so much, thank you all.
          Alice

          > Message: 3
          > Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 18:11:04 -0500 (CDT)
          > From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
          > Subject: Re: Ships & comments
          >
          > The biggest list for Ships information is TheShipsList which you can
          > join by sending subscribe to TheShipsList-L-request@... or
          > TheShipsList-D-request@... for digest ( which I would recommend
          > as its a very large list with nearly 1700 people and generates about
          > 40-50 emails on a busy day).
          >
          > Remember tho that its highly unlikely that anyone can do a "lookup" in
          > anything other than book or Cd indexes, which are full of omissions and
          > mistakes. That's not opinion, that's fact. The best thing you can do is
          > to search original records yourself if at all possible.
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          > sabinov@...
        • Alice
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
            Thanks Maura for the info, however, I must tell you that I was on a 'ships list'
            about a year or so ago when I was researching the other side of the family and they
            did lookups for anyone who asked, it was a matter of pride with them and perhaps a
            little competition on who could come up with the answer the quickest. The result was
            they found two of the ships we were looking for, and then, I was able to order the
            films and look at the manifest and photocopy it for posterity. Darn, I wish I could
            remember that URL. I have had nothing but positive results in my dealings with them,

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
              Again, if anyone does lookups on ships it's in CDs or books, they
              certainly can't take the time to search actual records, i.e. if its not
              in a book or on a CD they won't find it.

              And if they do find something, you should do exactly what you did --
              verify it. Most indexes, especially _Germans to America_ and _Famine
              Immigrants_ are full of ommissions and errors, and that is according to
              those who put the books together.

              By the way, mailing lists have addresses, webpages have urls (which
              begin with http)

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 25, 1999
                Thanks for your response Maura.

                Message: 7
                Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:56:53 -0500 (CDT)
                From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
                Subject: Re: Re: Ships & comments

                Again, if anyone does lookups on ships it's in CDs or books, they
                certainly can't take the time to search actual records, i.e. if its not
                in a book or on a CD they won't find it.

                I never meant to infer that they did anything other than look up ships
                in reference books or CDs. I would never expect them to search actual
                records for me.

                And if they do find something, you should do exactly what you did --
                verify it. Most indexes, especially _Germans to America_ and _Famine
                Immigrants_ are full of ommissions and errors, and that is according to
                those who put the books together.

                Another bit of information that I found in my research of ship's
                manifests is that sometimes the parents register their children as being
                a few years younger than they truly are in order to avoid paying full
                fare.

                By the way, mailing lists have addresses, webpages have urls (which
                begin with http)

                Oops! I guess I slipped up there. I suppose I am trying to do too much
                at one time - as usual. But thanks for the reminder anyway.

                BTW, I agree with Andy V. to use the name as used and spelled in the
                particular language of the person. You can always make note in your
                research notes of the Latin and Hungarian, etc. spelling. Keep it
                simple I always say and you can't go wrong.
                Alice