Re: [S-R] Birth Record

  • Konekta
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
      Dear Doris,
      Column headings can be in latin, slovak or hungarian.
      Vladimir
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
        Vladimir:

        I would be looking for Slovak. I have translations for baptism, marriage
        and death, but nothing for birth records.

        Doris
      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2002
          Dear Doris,
          This is not so easy as it may seem. I mean, on distance without seeing the record or knowing, what the columns' titles are.
          The records do vary very much, depending on time they were written and place.
          The records of one parish may look quite different that from the other.
          One thing is sure; the so called "Birth records" are actually not birth records but baptismal records.
          Always.The church did not have the responsibility for birth.
          So, if there is one date there, it's a baptismal date. Having no other date, such date is being taken as birth date.
          If there are two like 6/9, then the first is the date of birth, the second is baptism.
          Some records have item number before that, as first column. But the older they are, less of this you will find.
          Then, usually the name of the child comes.
          Then whether male/female, legitimate/illegitimate
          Then parents sometimes with their occupation and address or residence.
          Then godparents
          Then the name of the priest
          and Remarks.
          This is a general scheme, which can vary substantially.But, based on the information it contains, one can figure out, which of the above it is, even if not being able to read column titles.
          There are often very important remarks like when the person died or when and whom married and alike.
          Alste there can be a remark saying that child was born prior to marriage and was declared legitimate afterwards. It is quite important to know, what the remarks say, otherwise they wouldn't be there.
          Some older records are quite scarse on information. They even do not give the full name of the mother.
          This is then tricky, since it can easily be, that there are two or even more couples, that could fit those names.
          If you have concrete records, either try to write down the titles or send me a copy.
          I must also warn you, that the surnames, especially female ones, may also vary in their spellings. This usually confuses many. It is because there was not a unified way, how to spell a female surname.
          If the husband was Minar, for example, the female variations can be;
          - Minarech
          - Minarova
          - Minareje
          If he was Gulis
          - Gulisech
          - Guliska
          - Gulisova
          If he was Pekar
          - Pekarovic
          - Pekarech
          - Pekarovicova
          And so on. So, this is something one has to bear in mind too. The priest himself was not sure, how to write in some cases.
          And, with time, a surname can have some alias attached and then the alias is being used as a surname.
          I have numerous such cases.
          Sincerely,
          Vladimir

          -