Re: Hungarian Help needed

  • John Matsko
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
      At 08:51 PM 6/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: MJESKO@... (mark JESKO)
      >
      >Hi again
      >
      >DUCHODEK ROKU may mean confirmation year.

      Mark,

      Confirmation in Slovak is "birmovanie". I thought it might have something to
      do with death registerations but that is "zomrel�i". It may have something to
      do with the clergy:

      Slovensky Anglicky

      duchovensk� cleric
      duchovensk� cleric
      duchovensk� cleric
      duchovenstvo clergy
      duchovenstvo sacerdocy
      duchovenstvo ministry
      duchovia angels
      duchovn� pastorate
      duchovn� cleric
      duchovn� mor�lka spirit

      Czech = English

      duchod = income
      duchod = pension
      duchod = rent
      duchod (rocni) = annuity
      duchod (starobni) = old-age pension
      duchod (starobni, GB) = old age pension
      duchod (statni) = revenue
      duchodce = annuitant
      duchodce (penzista) = pensionary
      duchodce (penzista) = pensioner
      duchodova dan = assessment on income
      duchodovy urad = revenue
      duchody (penezni) = monetary incomes
      duchovensky = clerical
      duchovensky = ecclesiastical
      duchovenstvo = clergy
      duchovenstvo = ministry
      duchovni = Reverend
      duchovni = ecclesiastic
      duchovni = inward
      duchovni = priest
      duchovni = spiritual
      duchovni (hovor.) = parson
      duchovni (knez) = divine
      duchovni (nab.) = ghostly
      duchovni (nejnizsi, anglikansky, GB = deacon
      duchovni (obycejne anglikansky) = clergyman
      duchovni (presbytarianske neb nekon = minister
      duchovni (zkr.) = Rev. (Reverend)
      duchovni pece = cure
      duchovni urad = ministry
      duchovno = spirituality
      duchovnost = inwardness
      duchovnost = spirituality
      duchovy (netelesny) = unbodied
      duchovy (strasidelny) = spectral

      John

      >DUCH means spirit as in Holy Spirit and ROKU is a form of the word ROK
      >or year.
      >
      >Will talk with my Slovak friends and see what they suggest.
      >
      >mark

      >Who is the most visited e-mail list community Web Service?
      >http://www.onelist.com
      >ONElist.com - where more than 20 million e-mails are exchanged each day!

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
        No, the records are from the 18th century. They are mostly in Latin but I
        thought that I saw some Hungarian here and there, where the pastor wrote a
        longer note about something. There are also bits of Slovak. I have a lot
        more work to do on this microfilm so I can write down some of the text bits.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
          About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
          down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
          gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

          Joe Armata
          joe@...

          > From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
          >
          > In the course of browsing through the baptism records for Rankovce in the
          > 18th century I found a part of the book where there appeared to be some
          > other kind of list. The words used were Duchodek Roku -- come to think of
          > it, that sounds more Slovak than Magyar. I tried to find it on the
          > Hungarian Dictionary on-line page but no luck --- maybe it needs diacritical
          > marks? I can try the Slovak Dictionary, but does anyone have a suggestion?
          > There were columns of numbers and names.
          >
          > Thanks, Andrea

          > Attention ONElist list owners.
          > http://www.onelist.com
          > Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option. See homepage.

        • John Matsko
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
            At 08:55 AM 6/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
            >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
            >
            >About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
            >down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
            >gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

            Hi Joe,

            Thanks for the definition. I wondered if it had something to do with it after
            finding the following in a Czech on-line dictionary:

            duchod = income
            duchod = pension
            duchod = rent
            duchod (rocni) = annuity