Re: Ports of Departure and Arrival

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Mebjwb@a... wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I cannot find Grandmother on same Ellis Island list as Grandfather,
      or any
      > other Ellis Passenger List. Might be wrong Grandfather. I have
      three
      > questions:
      >
      > #1 Were there other common departure ports used by Slovaks leaving
      the
      > Austro-Hungarian Empire around 1900?
      >
      > #2 What might be the favored ports of arrival for passengers
      planning to
      > travel
      > to find work in the steel mills of western PA?
      >
      > #3 How can I locate indexed passenger lists for arrival ports
      other
      than
      > Ellis Island, i.e. Philadelphia or other NY ports?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Marge Bonifield

      Migration from Hungary to the U.S.
      by European Ports of Departure
      (Slovaks 40% of totals in 1900 and 20% in 1906)

      Austria
      Fiume
      1899 0
      1900 0
      1901 0
      1902 0
      1903 0
      1904 22,000
      1905 36,000
      1906 49,000

      Austria
      Trieste
      1899 0
      1900 0
      1901 0
      1902 0
      1903 0
      1904 0
      1905 900
      1906 3,600

      Germany
      Hamburg
      1899 4,800
      1900 9,700
      1901 13,000
      1902 21,000
      1903 23,000
      1904 13,000
      1905 27,000
      1906 27,000

      Germany
      Bremen
      1899 28,000
      1900 31,000
      1901 42,000
      1902 48,000
      1903 70,000
      1904 37,000
      1905 77,000
      1906 73,000

      Belgium
      Antwerp
      1899 900
      1900 9,700
      1901 11,000
      1902 14,000
      1903 18,000
      1904 11,000
      1905 14,000
      1906 14,000

      Holland
      Rotterdam
      1899 2,300
      1900 3,000
      1901 4,500
      1902 8,000
      1903 8,400
      1904 4,400
      1905 8,800
      1906 6,600

      probable U.S. ports of entry for PA
      Ellis Island (NYC)
      Philadelphia PA
      Baltimore MD

      only Ellis Island is online
      for Philadelphia and Baltimore you need to
      go to local LDS Family History Center (FHC) and
      order Index to Passenger Lists for your surnames
      by Soundex Code
      If you locate surnames in Index , then you must order
      the microfilm for their ship manifest

      http://www.genealogy.com/genealogy/8_mgpal.html

      I had surnames emigrate to Pittsburgh in SW PA
      They used ports of Antwerp, Bremen, and Hamburg to exit
      And Ellis Island, Philadelphia, and Baltimore to enter U.S.
      The one who emigrated via Antwerp entered via Philadelphia and
      went to address of brother-in-law Pavlik in NE PA, who I never
      located.
      Surname disappeared in 1900 U.S. Census, so assume he went back to
      Slovakia which was not uncommon.