Re: Hungarian Help needed

  • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
      Hi Andrea

      If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
      This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
      language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
      as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.

      And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
      commerce today!!!!

      mark
    • John Matsko
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
        At 08:51 PM 6/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: MJESKO@... (mark JESKO)
        >
        >Hi again
        >
        >DUCHODEK ROKU may mean confirmation year.

        Mark,

        Confirmation in Slovak is "birmovanie". I thought it might have something to
        do with death registerations but that is "zomrel�i". It may have something to
        do with the clergy:

        Slovensky Anglicky

        duchovensk� cleric
        duchovensk� cleric
        duchovensk� cleric
        duchovenstvo clergy
        duchovenstvo sacerdocy
        duchovenstvo ministry
        duchovia angels
        duchovn� pastorate
        duchovn� cleric
        duchovn� mor�lka spirit

        Czech = English

        duchod = income
        duchod = pension
        duchod = rent
        duchod (rocni) = annuity
        duchod (starobni) = old-age pension
        duchod (starobni, GB) = old age pension
        duchod (statni) = revenue
        duchodce = annuitant
        duchodce (penzista) = pensionary
        duchodce (penzista) = pensioner
        duchodova dan = assessment on income
        duchodovy urad = revenue
        duchody (penezni) = monetary incomes
        duchovensky = clerical
        duchovensky = ecclesiastical
        duchovenstvo = clergy
        duchovenstvo = ministry
        duchovni = Reverend
        duchovni = ecclesiastic
        duchovni = inward
        duchovni = priest
        duchovni = spiritual
        duchovni (hovor.) = parson
        duchovni (knez) = divine
        duchovni (nab.) = ghostly
        duchovni (nejnizsi, anglikansky, GB = deacon
        duchovni (obycejne anglikansky) = clergyman
        duchovni (presbytarianske neb nekon = minister
        duchovni (zkr.) = Rev. (Reverend)
        duchovni pece = cure
        duchovni urad = ministry
        duchovno = spirituality
        duchovnost = inwardness
        duchovnost = spirituality
        duchovy (netelesny) = unbodied
        duchovy (strasidelny) = spectral

        John

        >DUCH means spirit as in Holy Spirit and ROKU is a form of the word ROK
        >or year.
        >
        >Will talk with my Slovak friends and see what they suggest.
        >
        >mark

        >Who is the most visited e-mail list community Web Service?
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >ONElist.com - where more than 20 million e-mails are exchanged each day!

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
          No, the records are from the 18th century. They are mostly in Latin but I
          thought that I saw some Hungarian here and there, where the pastor wrote a
          longer note about something. There are also bits of Slovak. I have a lot
          more work to do on this microfilm so I can write down some of the text bits.

          > If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
          > This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
          > language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
          > as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.
          >
          > And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
          > commerce today!!!!
          >
          > mark

          > Who is the most visited e-mail list community Web Service?
          > http://www.onelist.com
          > ONElist.com - where more than 20 million e-mails are exchanged each day!

        • Joe Armata
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
            About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
            down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
            gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

            Joe Armata
            joe@...

            > From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
            >
            > In the course of browsing through the baptism records for Rankovce in the
            > 18th century I found a part of the book where there appeared to be some
            > other kind of list. The words used were Duchodek Roku -- come to think of
            > it, that sounds more Slovak than Magyar. I tried to find it on the
            > Hungarian Dictionary on-line page but no luck --- maybe it needs diacritical
            > marks? I can try the Slovak Dictionary, but does anyone have a suggestion?
            > There were columns of numbers and names.
            >
            > Thanks, Andrea

            > Attention ONElist list owners.
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option. See homepage.

          • John Matsko
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
              At 08:55 AM 6/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
              >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
              >
              >About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
              >down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
              >gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

              Hi Joe,

              Thanks for the definition. I wondered if it had something to do with it after
              finding the following in a Czech on-line dictionary:

              duchod = income
              duchod = pension
              duchod = rent
              duchod (rocni) = annuity