Ships & comments

  • Alice
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 22, 1999
      Does anyone know where I can find a ships list URL?

      Also, about the emigration of Slovaks and Rusyns to PA. Many of them just came
      over for a year to make some money and returned to SK. Some returned again and
      again and many stayed and sent for their families. I think this is what inspired
      the second wave of immigration at that is what happened in our family.
      Alice
    • BobHORGOS@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 1999
        You can find a list of Immigrant Passenger ships (including the listing of
        all the passengers) at: http://istg.rootsweb.com/

        The istg stands for: Immigrant Ships Transcriber Guild. ISTG Web site allows
        you to select ships by: (1) ship's name; (2) Point of Departure; (3) Point of
        Arrival; (4) alphabetical listing of all the passengers (for those ships that
        have been translated to date).
      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 1999
          It depends on why you want a url for ships lists..... there are many on
          line in different places, but searching the actual films is always
          better if you can do it. On line transcriptions, books , CDs etc have
          many errors and omissions.

          Check the section on Ships and Immigration on Cyndi's List at
          http://www.cyndislist.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 23, 1999
            Thanks Bob for your help however I have already tried that URL and my ships are
            not on it. I wonder if there is a 'mailing list' that deals with immigrant ships
            where someone can do a lookup. Does anyone have that information?
            Alice

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 23, 1999
              The biggest list for Ships information is TheShipsList which you can
              join by sending subscribe to TheShipsList-L-request@... or
              TheShipsList-D-request@... for digest ( which I would recommend
              as its a very large list with nearly 1700 people and generates about
              40-50 emails on a busy day).

              Remember tho that its highly unlikely that anyone can do a "lookup" in
              anything other than book or Cd indexes, which are full of omissions and
              mistakes. That's not opinion, that's fact. The best thing you can do is
              to search original records yourself if at all possible.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
              sabinov@...
              Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            • Alice
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
                Thanks Maura for the info, however, I must tell you that I was on a 'ships list'
                about a year or so ago when I was researching the other side of the family and they
                did lookups for anyone who asked, it was a matter of pride with them and perhaps a
                little competition on who could come up with the answer the quickest. The result was
                they found two of the ships we were looking for, and then, I was able to order the
                films and look at the manifest and photocopy it for posterity. Darn, I wish I could
                remember that URL. I have had nothing but positive results with my dealings with
                them, they were wonderful. So never say never!
                Alice
                PS: regarding the ongoing discussion re emigration patterns and the history behind it
                has been most enlightening. I have learned so much, thank you all.
                Alice

                > Message: 3
                > Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 18:11:04 -0500 (CDT)
                > From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
                > Subject: Re: Ships & comments
                >
                > The biggest list for Ships information is TheShipsList which you can
                > join by sending subscribe to TheShipsList-L-request@... or
                > TheShipsList-D-request@... for digest ( which I would recommend
                > as its a very large list with nearly 1700 people and generates about
                > 40-50 emails on a busy day).
                >
                > Remember tho that its highly unlikely that anyone can do a "lookup" in
                > anything other than book or Cd indexes, which are full of omissions and
                > mistakes. That's not opinion, that's fact. The best thing you can do is
                > to search original records yourself if at all possible.
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                > sabinov@...
              • Alice
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
                  Thanks Maura for the info, however, I must tell you that I was on a 'ships list'
                  about a year or so ago when I was researching the other side of the family and they
                  did lookups for anyone who asked, it was a matter of pride with them and perhaps a
                  little competition on who could come up with the answer the quickest. The result was
                  they found two of the ships we were looking for, and then, I was able to order the
                  films and look at the manifest and photocopy it for posterity. Darn, I wish I could
                  remember that URL. I have had nothing but positive results in my dealings with them,

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
                    Again, if anyone does lookups on ships it's in CDs or books, they
                    certainly can't take the time to search actual records, i.e. if its not
                    in a book or on a CD they won't find it.

                    And if they do find something, you should do exactly what you did --
                    verify it. Most indexes, especially _Germans to America_ and _Famine
                    Immigrants_ are full of ommissions and errors, and that is according to
                    those who put the books together.

                    By the way, mailing lists have addresses, webpages have urls (which
                    begin with http)

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 25, 1999
                      Thanks for your response Maura.

                      Message: 7
                      Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:56:53 -0500 (CDT)
                      From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
                      Subject: Re: Re: Ships & comments

                      Again, if anyone does lookups on ships it's in CDs or books, they
                      certainly can't take the time to search actual records, i.e. if its not
                      in a book or on a CD they won't find it.

                      I never meant to infer that they did anything other than look up ships
                      in reference books or CDs. I would never expect them to search actual
                      records for me.

                      And if they do find something, you should do exactly what you did --
                      verify it. Most indexes, especially _Germans to America_ and _Famine
                      Immigrants_ are full of ommissions and errors, and that is according to
                      those who put the books together.

                      Another bit of information that I found in my research of ship's
                      manifests is that sometimes the parents register their children as being
                      a few years younger than they truly are in order to avoid paying full
                      fare.

                      By the way, mailing lists have addresses, webpages have urls (which
                      begin with http)

                      Oops! I guess I slipped up there. I suppose I am trying to do too much
                      at one time - as usual. But thanks for the reminder anyway.

                      BTW, I agree with Andy V. to use the name as used and spelled in the
                      particular language of the person. You can always make note in your
                      research notes of the Latin and Hungarian, etc. spelling. Keep it
                      simple I always say and you can't go wrong.
                      Alice