Re: [S-R] Re: City of Belova

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2002
      You have mentioned the names of several towns, with similar sounding names (some maybe incomplete) and similar spellings:

      Belovez^a (Belovezsa, Sáros "Hungary") is 8 km east of Bardejov (LDS films 1792049 and 1792004 - Greek Catholic).

      Haz^li'n is 3 km east of Belovez^a (LDS films 1792094 and 1792095 - Roman Catholic; 1792920 and 1792921 - Greek Catholic).

      Belejovce 12 km northeast of Haz^li'n, 7 km north of Svidni'k.

      As Frank pointed out below - Bellova Ves is about 25 km south east of Bratislava (about 350 km west southwest of Bardejov).

      Additionally Lesnica (LDS films 1739441 and 1739442 - Roman Catholic) is only 5 km northeast of Lechnica (LDS films 1739439 and 1739440 - Roman Catholic) both are about 40 km north of Levoc^a, 20 km north of Spis^ska' bela', and 66 km east northeast of Bardejov.

      A detailed map of Slovakia is very important when searching for "Americanized" town names, additionally Hungarian spellings are frequently interchanged with Slovak further confusing things. Some Hungarian town names bear very little resemblance to the Slovak name, e.g.
      Spis^ska' Nova' Ves = Iglo (Hungarian).

      Do you have any documents that could clarify this?

      Dr. "Q"

      patricia gavel wrote:

      > The Gavel's in Lesnica were Roman Catholic. Sveda were supposedly Greek Catholic. Someone referred me to the LDS films of Hazlin Hungary #1792095 to find my Sveda. I haven't found anyone on the films so I thought I must have the wrong ones. Trying to double check my cities.
      > After I find the city, can you advise what's the next step to connecting with some distant kin you are finding in the phone directory? I found email addresses to my Surname Slovakians but the server wouldn't deliver mail to them. Thanks. PGavel
      > frankly1us wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., patricia gavel <pgsister@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On a 1911 church document, my ggrandmother Anna Sveda is from
      > Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Trying to find the LDS film for this
      > area. I have found my ggrf GAVEL in Lesnica, Hungary LDS films.
      > >
      > > Thanks, Patricia

      > Will have to guess.
      > For 1911, you would be looking for a Hungarian spelling of a place
      > name located in now Slovakia.
      > If an American document the place name was written as it sounded to
      > the listener, not its actual spelling (which nobody checked in an
      > atlas)
      >
      > A Bellova Ves is located in western Slovakia, 19 miles ESE of
      > Bratislava so that can't be the place.
      >
      > According to the Hungarian Gazetteer, the only pre-WW I Hungarian
      > place name (Bel?) located in Sáros megye (county) would be
      > Belejóc
      > (H), now Belejovce (Sk) and located 219 miles ENE of Bratislava.
      >
      > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 2 surnames S^veda under
      > Svidník.
      > Svidník is located 5 miles distant from Belejovce.
      >
      > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 4 surnames under Bardejov.
      > Bardejov is located 14 miles from Bardejov.
      >
      > What was gGM's religion ?
    • Joan Hendershot
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
        I have a Maria Sveda married into one of my lines. She was from Olsavica,
        Spis, Hungary.

        Slovak Pride lists two Svedas. One from Bardejov and one from Livovska
        Huta.

        Dont know if that helps.

        Joan
      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
          Hello Patricia,
          There is no place called Belova, but you can try Beloveza.
          I was researching this area recently and have surname Sveda, found in the Gc parish of Ortutova.
          But, try Beloveza first. I am sure, you will find them there.
          Regards,
          Vladimir
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
            At 05:37 AM 11/10/2002 -0800, you wrote:

            >Hello All,
            >
            >On a baptism cert. 1911 from Penn., Anna Sveda was listed from the city of
            >Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Have been searching LDS films 1792049 &
            >1792004 Cirkerna matrika in Belejovce. Didn't find any Sveda's or even
            >close to the spelling. They were Greek Catholic and possible related to
            >Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look next?
            >
            >Thanks much, Patricia

            My mother's village is located a few miles southwest of Bardejov. Sveda
            and Karaffa are familiar names to me. There are a few towns over the hill
            from her village Livov, Livovska Hutta, Luko, and Valencia. If you look at
            the Ellis Island database you will find several Sveda and Karafa,Karaffa
            listing these towns (and variations of the town's spelling) as their home
            towns. It would take a bit of a stretch of imagination to come up with
            Belova but someone familiar with the language might see some
            possibilities. Was Belova in cursive on the certificate? If so could
            there be some possibility the town was misread? Was Sveda her maiden
            name? Where was she headed on arrival? Where in PA did she settle?

            John M.
          • Konekta
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
              Dear John M.,
              Of course, this Belova is a misspelling. As I already noted, there is and was no such place here.
              Most probably, there was no place to write the name in whole length, which would have been Beloveza.
              Vladimir
              At 05:37 AM 11/10/2002 -0800, you wrote:

              >Hello All,
              >
              >On a baptism cert. 1911 from Penn., Anna Sveda was listed from the city of
              >Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Have been searching LDS films 1792049 &
              >1792004 Cirkerna matrika in Belejovce. Didn't find any Sveda's or even
              >close to the spelling. They were Greek Catholic and possible related to
              >Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look next?
              >
              >Thanks much, Patricia

              My mother's village is located a few miles southwest of Bardejov. Sveda
              and Karaffa are familiar names to me. There are a few towns over the hill
              from her village Livov, Livovska Hutta, Luko, and Valencia. If you look at
              the Ellis Island database you will find several Sveda and Karafa,Karaffa
              listing these towns (and variations of the town's spelling) as their home
              towns. It would take a bit of a stretch of imagination to come up with
              Belova but someone familiar with the language might see some
              possibilities. Was Belova in cursive on the certificate? If so could
              there be some possibility the town was misread? Was Sveda her maiden
              name? Where was she headed on arrival? Where in PA did she settle?

              John M.

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                At 07:59 AM 11/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                >Dear John M.,
                >Of course, this Belova is a misspelling. As I already noted, there is and
                >was no such place here.
                >Most probably, there was no place to write the name in whole length, which
                >would have been Beloveza.
                >Vladimir

                Dear Vlad,
                I indicated it was misspelled from the beginning. On September 1st, I wrote:

                "There is a town called Bellova Ves but it is in the Bratislava area. You
                may be looking for Beloveza or Belejovce. Both are in what was S^aris
                Megye. Beloveza is a short distance to the east of Bardejov."

                Good theory Vlad but she said:

                "Have been searching LDS films 1792049 & 1792004 Cirkerna matrika in
                Belejovce." (error in naming the village)

                FHL INTL Film 1792049 , FHL INTL Film 1792004 are BELOVEZA films and she
                then said:

                "Didn't find any Sveda's or even close to the spelling. They were Greek
                Catholic and possible related to Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a
                suggestion where to look next?"

                One of the EIDB entries I found was for a family of 6 by the name of
                Karaffa. Their home village was spelled Libowa in 5 cases and a typo
                Lobowa for the 6th. There is no such town in Slovakia. I think they were
                referring to Livo, now known as Livov and, which had several Karaffa
                emigrees. Since you are fluent in Slovak, perhaps you can explain the
                ending given to the town name. There are a few towns that begin with Libo
                but none that end in "wa".

                John M.
              • Konekta
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                  Dear John,
                  It was something, that begins with Belo.So, if she checked the Beloveza already, then she should check Belejovce next. This is all the same general area and I know, the surnames were there.
                  The ending wa merely indicates female gender of the place name.
                  Philadelphia would be female and Boston would be male.
                  So are the places here too. And many other forms too.
                  Quite complicated to learn and understand for non Slovaks.
                  Some Examples;
                  Bardejov je (is)
                  Breznicka je (is)
                  Giraltovce su (is)
                  Hankovce su (is)
                  Zilina je (is)
                  Piestany su (is)
                  Kozany su (is)
                  Kosariska su (is)
                  Smolinske je (is)
                  Krajne je (is)
                  Krompachy su (is)
                  Cicmany su (is)
                  Gbely je (is)
                  and so on
                  Regards,
                  Vladimir

                  then said:

                  "Didn't find any Sveda's or even close to the spelling. They were Greek
                  Catholic and possible related to Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a
                  suggestion where to look next?"

                  One of the EIDB entries I found was for a family of 6 by the name of
                  Karaffa. Their home village was spelled Libowa in 5 cases and a typo
                  Lobowa for the 6th. There is no such town in Slovakia. I think they were
                  referring to Livo, now known as Livov and, which had several Karaffa
                  emigrees. Since you are fluent in Slovak, perhaps you can explain the
                  ending given to the town name. There are a few towns that begin with Libo
                  but none that end in "wa".

                  John M.

                • patricia gavel
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                    Hello Gentlemen,
                    You're expertise is appreciated because I'm not slovak and I'm trying desperately to learn all I can. Are you both in agreement that I should order FHL INTL Film 1794356 and 1794357 Belejoc in GC Vapenik records?
                    Patricia
                    Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear John,

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                      At 08:44 PM 11/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                      >Dear John,
                      >It was something, that begins with Belo.So, if she checked the Beloveza
                      >already, then she should check Belejovce next. This is all the same
                      >general area and I know, the surnames were there.

                      I believe she is doing that.

                      > The ending wa merely indicates female gender of the place name.
                      > Philadelphia would be female and Boston would be male. So are the places
                      > here too. And many other forms too. Quite complicated to learn and
                      > understand for non Slovaks.

                      Thanks. It has been 40 years since I spoke Rusyn on an infrequent and
                      imperfect basis with my parents but I have a hazy recollection of their
                      using the term Livova. I think it would be used in a case where they would
                      say "Ona je od Livova" which I hope is the correct way of saying "She is
                      from Livov".

                      The reason I mentioned the Karaffas from Libowa is that I believe they were
                      from Livo(v). They were going to Toronto, Ohio which is an Ohio River town
                      near Pittsburgh. Many of the villagers from Livov and surrounding villages
                      emigrated to Toronto, Empire, and Stratton Ohio. These towns are clustered
                      together on the Ohio River. Others went to the Braddock, Homestead,
                      Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area. There is an Anna Sveda from Luko (ancestral
                      village of actor Robert Urich (1946-2002)) going to the Pittsburgh area and
                      several other Svedas from Livov, and Livovska Hutta going to the same area
                      in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have been unable to change Livova to
                      Belova but the EIDB does show a lot of Karaffa and Sveda emigrating from
                      that area.

                      John M.
                    • Konekta
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                        Yes, Patricia. Vapeni Gc. But, you will not have much fun. The records are only 1862-1895.
                        If you then check the census for 1869 , you can find persons there, that were born before 1862.
                        =====
                        Interestingly, nobody reacted on place names I gave.
                        Example;
                        Bardejov je daleko. Bardejov is far. Here the "is" is correct.
                        A foreigner would always use "is" in english, whic is, of course not always correct.
                        Here are now the correct english spellings for the examples;
                        Breznicka is far.
                        Giraltovce are far.
                        Hankovce are far.
                        Zilina is far.
                        Piestany are far.
                        Kozany are far.
                        Kosariska are far.
                        Smolinske is / are far. Not sure myself.
                        Krajne is far.
                        Krompachy are far.
                        Cicmany are far.
                        Gbely is far.

                        Vladimir

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                          Vladimir,
                          Is the census located on the same films? Not familiar. Christina Anna Sveda was born 5-3-1887. Her death cert. said her father was John Sveda. I'm going this afternoon to order these film. thanks,
                          Patricia
                          Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Yes, Patricia. Vapeni Gc. But, you will not have much fun. The records are only 1862-1895.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                            At 01:38 PM 11/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:

                            >Vladimir,
                            >Is the census located on the same films? Not familiar. Christina Anna
                            >Sveda was born 5-3-1887. Her death cert. said her father was John
                            >Sveda. I'm going this afternoon to order these film. thanks,
                            >Patricia

                            No. The census is on - Belejócz (Belejovce) - FHL INTL Film [ 2150628
                            Item 9 ]

                            John M.
                          • Dr. Joe Q
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                              The name Karaffa was in Livov at least until 1980. It is the name of my great great grandfather (Andrej [about 1832 - 1935] who was married Anna Molc^an
                              [12 Aug 1824 - ?), their daughter Anna Karaffa married Michael Pi'llar (also from Livov).

                              Dr. "Q"

                              "John M," wrote:

                              > At 08:44 PM 11/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                              > >Dear John,
                              > >It was something, that begins with Belo.So, if she checked the Beloveza
                              > >already, then she should check Belejovce next. This is all the same
                              > >general area and I know, the surnames were there.
                              >
                              > I believe she is doing that.
                              >
                              > > The ending wa merely indicates female gender of the place name.
                              > > Philadelphia would be female and Boston would be male. So are the places
                              > > here too. And many other forms too. Quite complicated to learn and
                              > > understand for non Slovaks.
                              >
                              > Thanks. It has been 40 years since I spoke Rusyn on an infrequent and
                              > imperfect basis with my parents but I have a hazy recollection of their
                              > using the term Livova. I think it would be used in a case where they would
                              > say "Ona je od Livova" which I hope is the correct way of saying "She is
                              > from Livov".
                              >
                              > The reason I mentioned the Karaffas from Libowa is that I believe they were
                              > from Livo(v). They were going to Toronto, Ohio which is an Ohio River town
                              > near Pittsburgh. Many of the villagers from Livov and surrounding villages
                              > emigrated to Toronto, Empire, and Stratton Ohio. These towns are clustered
                              > together on the Ohio River. Others went to the Braddock, Homestead,
                              > Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area. There is an Anna Sveda from Luko (ancestral
                              > village of actor Robert Urich (1946-2002)) going to the Pittsburgh area and
                              > several other Svedas from Livov, and Livovska Hutta going to the same area
                              > in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have been unable to change Livova to
                              > Belova but the EIDB does show a lot of Karaffa and Sveda emigrating from
                              > that area.
                              >
                              > John M.
                            • patricia gavel
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                                "Dr. Joe Q" <drq@...> wrote:
                                On the marriage license for my ggrandmother Anna Sveda 20yr married 1907 Jakob Gavel 23yr. Above her name ^ Karaffa as an inserted name. Noone has heard of this name but it must have been in the family somewhere. Oh, they married in Penn.

                                Patricia

                                The name Karaffa was in Livov at least until 1980. It is the name of my great great grandfather (Andrej [about 1832 - 1935] who was married Anna Molc^an
                                [12 Aug 1824 - ?), their daughter Anna Karaffa married Michael Pi'llar (also from Livov).

                                Dr. "Q"
                                .

                              • Frank
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002

                                  I wrote:

                                  > "There is a town called Bellova Ves but it is in the Bratislava
                                  area. You
                                  > may be looking for Beloveza or Belejovce. Both are in what was
                                  S^aris
                                  > Megye. Beloveza is a short distance to the east of Bardejov."
                                  >
                                  > Good theory Vlad but she said:
                                  >
                                  > "Have been searching LDS films 1792049 & 1792004 Cirkerna matrika in
                                  > Belejovce." (error in naming the village)
                                  >
                                  > FHL INTL Film 1792049 , FHL INTL Film 1792004 are BELOVEZA films
                                  and she
                                  > then said:
                                  >
                                  > "Didn't find any Sveda's or even close to the spelling. They were
                                  Greek
                                  > Catholic and possible related to Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a
                                  > suggestion where to look next?"
                                  >
                                  > One of the EIDB entries I found was for a family of 6 by the name of
                                  > Karaffa. Their home village was spelled Libowa in 5 cases and a
                                  typo
                                  > Lobowa for the 6th. There is no such town in Slovakia. I think
                                  they were
                                  > referring to Livo, now known as Livov and, which had several Karaffa
                                  > emigrees. Since you are fluent in Slovak, perhaps you can explain
                                  the
                                  > ending given to the town name. There are a few towns that begin
                                  with Libo
                                  > but none that end in "wa".
                                  >
                                  > John M.

                                  Libowa isn't Lipowa, but you can use it by way of analogy.

                                  In Slovak, letter v is pron. v and letter v (ending) is pron. w
                                  In Polish, letter w is pron. v.
                                  In German, letter v is pron. f,v and letter w is pron. v.

                                  (There are 8 place names Lipowa located in Poland)

                                  Livo' (H)
                                  Livov (Sk)
                                  Livivi (Rusyn)

                                  Belejovce (Sk) is Belejivci in Rusyn.
                                  Belovez^a (Sk) is Biloveza in Rusyn.

                                  Some names for towns or villages are plural in Slovak.
                                  Often they end in -ice (feminine gender) or -any (masculine gender)

                                  Pies^t'any (m)
                                  Topol'c^any (m)

                                  Kos^ice (f)
                                  Madunice (f)

                                  When Cyrillic alphabet is transliterated into Roman (Latin)
                                  alphabet, 5-6 different spellings are possible - all correct because
                                  there is no standard.
                                  Depends upon which European language the names were transliterated to
                                  last.

                                  Lvov (E) is located 468 km west of Kiev, Ukraine.
                                  Lwów (P)
                                  Lvóv, Lvyv
                                  J| b B i B (Uk)
                                  J| b B O B (Ru)
                                  Leopolis (L)
                                  Lemberg (G)

                                  Or, Kiev (E)
                                  K | | B (Cyrillic)
                                  K i i v
                                  Kief
                                  Kiew
                                  Kijew
                                  Kijow
                                  Kiyev
                                  Kyyi

                                  As for typos in EIR, I found my related surnames under 11 different
                                  place name spellings, which were actually 3 different place names
                                  under Upper Hungary (Slovakia) misspelled.
                                  Sometimes you need to know both the Slovak and Magyar place names so
                                  you can identify the actual village.
                                • Konekta
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 13, 2002
                                    Dear Frank,
                                    Excellent. Thank you.
                                    Always, when I have a problem, identifying the place of one spouse, I try so called " genealogical triangulation".
                                    I use the place of the wife , which should not be far away, if not the same.Have solved couple ud hopeless cases in this way.
                                    Of course, this is not always possible.
                                    Regards,
                                    Vladimir