Re: [S-R] KLESKEN MAGAN

  • Irene Wojcik Gabon
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hello Al from a "Florida-ish" Mississauga.
      How kind of your to answer my email. I think re Walter WOjcik there HAD
      to have been ONE Wojcik originally, the name means Vojt or mayor
      something like that. My Wojciks are all from Kielce, now Swietokrzyskie
      Porvince from villages of Slupia and Pacanow. You never know..... 80 is not
      too late to get on line or his grandkids can do it for him!
      My husband Steve is of Slovak decent. His Gabon/Magan roots are in Dolna
      Lehota and Lopej I think it is east of Banska Bystrica. We have been there.
      But you know the first time you go to the old country -is a shock and
      eventually you leave them all these sheets of paper...... Hubby's maternal side
      is KLESKEN(y) AND MRAVEC and there are a lot of them in the U.S.A.
      But you wrote about Walter Wojcik............ I get carried away now
      that baseball is back.........
      Thanks for writing.

      =====

      Irena Wojcik Gabon iagabon@...

      WOJCIK BARAN FROM PACANOW SLUPIA STOPNICA KIELCE

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • squinch42
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
        For a helpful cheat-sheet, try
        www.bmi.net/jjase/Latin_Terms_and_Phrases.html. This will provide you
        with a Latin: English matrix. INQ or INQUILINUS means tenant farmer
        whereas COL or COLONUS refers to a farmer who owns land, according to
        this site's listing.

        You can also try using Goggle and searching for Latin dictionary. It
        will give you a window to insert full latin words and receive a
        litany of English variations on the word's meaning.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dorothy Finn <dorothy@t...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        > I've been pouring over films of church record books of Baptisms and
        > Marriages written in Latin from the old Spis region.
        > There are notations that I haven't been able to find the meaning of
        in
        > the books that I have and was wondering if anyone on the list knows
        what
        > they are.
        > Beneath the parents names and sometimes under the godparents names
        is
        > written pl, ing, zing, serv or col. I think col. Is a farmer so
        these
        > must be abbreviations of occupations.
        >
        > Also sometimes beneath the given name of the person baptized is
        written
        > for example " Extr 3/12/1938 L.88" sometimes this is written in the
        > Observations column. What does this mean?
        >
        > I have looked in Shea & Hoffman's book Following The Paper Trail,
        > Cassell's Latin Dictionary and some Latin translation sites on the
        web.
        > I would appreciate any input as to what these notaions mean or other
        > places to look.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dorothy
      • Dorothy Finn

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
            Hi Folks,
            I forgot to mention the notations found on the marriage records.
            Before the Grooms name is written HJ and before the Brides name is
            written HV.
            Does anyone know what these mean?
            Thanks
            Dorothy
          • Dorothy Finn
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
              Hi Folks,
              I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
              My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes Babony and Maria
              Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
              I have verified this information.
              However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document in Reading,PA
              listed her parents as
              Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.

              I know that these two are siblings because of family interaction in my
              lifetime. I have birth and baptismal
              document that says Maria Babon(Babony) has the same parents as Jozef.
              So why would she put down a different mother
              and different county on her marriage record? I have looked but maybe
              not well enough for a village of Fridman in Zemplin.
              So, my question is, does anyone know where I might find a detailed map
              showing villages in Zemplin in the 1880's?

              Thanks
              Dorothy
            • John M,
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                At 11:05 10.09.2002 -0700, you wrote:

                >Hi Folks,
                >I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                >My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes Babony and Maria
                >Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                >I have verified this information.
                >However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document in Reading,PA
                >listed her parents as
                >Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.

                I don't see a village listing for Fridman in either Spis or Zemplin in the
                "Nazy Obci...1773-1997" which list all the towns and village names during
                the 1773-1997 period. I did find :

                GURCAK ...... Fridman ...... Spis ...... Paff ...... PA ......
                1462 at http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrp-gh.html

                John
              • mimi3_49
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dorothy Finn <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                  > Hi Folks,
                  > I've been pouring over films of church record books of
                  Baptisms and
                  > Marriages written in Latin from the old Spis region.
                  > There are notations that I haven't been able to find the
                  meaning of in
                  > the books that I have and was wondering if anyone on the list
                  knows what
                  > they are.
                  > Beneath the parents names and sometimes under the
                  godparents names is
                  > written pl, ing, zing, serv or col. I think col. Is a farmer so these
                  > must be abbreviations of occupations.
                  >
                  > Also sometimes beneath the given name of the person
                  baptized is written
                  > for example " Extr 3/12/1938 L.88" sometimes this is written in
                  the
                  > Observations column. What does this mean?
                  >
                  > I have looked in Shea & Hoffman's book Following The Paper
                  Trail,
                  > Cassell's Latin Dictionary and some Latin translation sites on
                  the web.
                  > I would appreciate any input as to what these notaions mean
                  or other
                  > places to look.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Dorothy

                  Dorothy,
                  "zing" may be short for "zingarius", a word meaning '"gypsy". I
                  don't know about the others.. The LDS website has a pretty good
                  and extensive Latin dictionary as well as ones in other
                  languages. You can print them out and take to FHC with you if
                  they don't have one there.
                • John M,
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                    At 17:15 10.09.2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    >www.bmi.net/jjase/

                    The URL above kept taking me to the Walla Walla, WA page. Try:

                    http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/Latin_Terms_and_Phrases.html

                    John
                  • mimi3_49
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                      > At 11:05 10.09.2002 -0700, you wrote:
                      >
                      > >Hi Folks,
                      > >I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                      > >My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes
                      Babony and Maria
                      > >Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                      > >I have verified this information.
                      > >However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document
                      in Reading,PA
                      > >listed her parents as
                      > >Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.
                      >
                      > I don't see a village listing for Fridman in either Spis or
                      Zemplin in the
                      > "Nazy Obci...1773-1997" which list all the towns and village
                      names during
                      > the 1773-1997 period. I did find :
                      >
                      > GURCAK ...... Fridman ...... Spis ...... Paff ...... PA ......
                      > 1462 at http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrp-gh.html
                      >
                      > John

                      The sister may have had the same father, but a different mother.
                      Was the grandfather married before? Perhaps the first wife died
                      and then the son was born after he remarried making the sister,
                      Maria, his half sister. Most likely she was raised by the new wife
                      and considered her her mother. Confusing, I know , but the
                      same situation existed with my great-grandfather. As for
                      "Fridman", - the spelling may be off, but it may well have been a
                      German town. There existed several of them in Spis County. I
                      again encountered the same problem with finding the birth town
                      of my grandmother. The town had a german name when it was
                      inhabited by Germans, a Hungarian name when Hungary was in
                      power, and finally today a Slovak name.
                    • Dr. Joe Q
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                        There was a "Jacob" Fridman (spelled Friedmann in the marriage records records) from house #3 Zsegra (Z^ehra = Žehra, Slovakia; born ~1859), who lived in
                        Körtvélyes (Spišský Hrušov), he married my great great aunt. There are grave markers in the Spišský Hrušov cemetery with the name Fridman that are from
                        deaths in the 1920's.

                        Spišský Hrušov is 38 km (24 miles) west of Prešov, 10 km (6 miles) east of Spišská Nová Ves, 46 km (29 miles) northwest of Košice, 12 km southeast of
                        Levoča, and 300 km (195 miles) northeast of Bratislava.

                        Žehra is 6 km east northeast of Spišský Hrušov and 3 km south southeast of Spišský hrad (you can see the castle from Zehra).

                        This is in Spis^.

                        Dr. "Q"

                        mimi3_49 wrote:

                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                        > > At 11:05 10.09.2002 -0700, you wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >Hi Folks,
                        > > >I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                        > > >My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes
                        > Babony and Maria
                        > > >Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                        > > >I have verified this information.
                        > > >However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document
                        > in Reading,PA
                        > > >listed her parents as
                        > > >Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.
                        > >
                        > > I don't see a village listing for Fridman in either Spis or
                        > Zemplin in the
                        > > "Nazy Obci...1773-1997" which list all the towns and village
                        > names during
                        > > the 1773-1997 period. I did find :
                        > >
                        > > GURCAK ...... Fridman ...... Spis ...... Paff ...... PA ......
                        > > 1462 at http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrp-gh.html
                        > >
                        > > John
                        >
                        > The sister may have had the same father, but a different mother.
                        > Was the grandfather married before? Perhaps the first wife died
                        > and then the son was born after he remarried making the sister,
                        > Maria, his half sister. Most likely she was raised by the new wife
                        > and considered her her mother. Confusing, I know , but the
                        > same situation existed with my great-grandfather. As for
                        > "Fridman", - the spelling may be off, but it may well have been a
                        > German town. There existed several of them in Spis County. I
                        > again encountered the same problem with finding the birth town
                        > of my grandmother. The town had a german name when it was
                        > inhabited by Germans, a Hungarian name when Hungary was in
                        > power, and finally today a Slovak name.
                      • Frank
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 11, 2002
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dorothy Finn <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                          > Hi Folks,
                          > I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                          > My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes Babony and
                          Maria
                          > Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                          > I have verified this information.

                          'Fridman' was probably a German settlement located in former
                          Szepes/S^pis/Zipser county (now Slovakia), rather than in old
                          Hungarian Zemplén megye.

                          http://www.feefhs.org/frl/czs/dg-gps.html
                          http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15761b.htm

                          http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.ub.uni-
                          bielefeld.de/zips/&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2BZips%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%2
                          6lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN