Re: [S-R] KLESKEN MAGAN

  • Albert P. Dubnicka
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Irene,

      I know a Walter Wojcik that lives here in Palm Coast, FL. The last time I checked he was still not using a computer. He is in his 80's and claims Polish
      heritage.

      Al Dubnicka

      Irene Wojcik Gabon wrote:

      > iam researching KLESKEN and MAGAN families ancestors and descendants from
      > Predajna, Slovakia.
      > Am interested in hearing from anyone on list who has family there or has been
      > in Predajna.
      >
      > =====
      >
      > Irena Wojcik Gabon iagabon@...
      >
      > WOJCIK BARAN FROM PACANOW SLUPIA STOPNICA KIELCE

    • Irene Wojcik Gabon
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hello Al from a "Florida-ish" Mississauga.
        How kind of your to answer my email. I think re Walter WOjcik there HAD
        to have been ONE Wojcik originally, the name means Vojt or mayor
        something like that. My Wojciks are all from Kielce, now Swietokrzyskie
        Porvince from villages of Slupia and Pacanow. You never know..... 80 is not
        too late to get on line or his grandkids can do it for him!
        My husband Steve is of Slovak decent. His Gabon/Magan roots are in Dolna
        Lehota and Lopej I think it is east of Banska Bystrica. We have been there.
        But you know the first time you go to the old country -is a shock and
        eventually you leave them all these sheets of paper...... Hubby's maternal side
        is KLESKEN(y) AND MRAVEC and there are a lot of them in the U.S.A.
        But you wrote about Walter Wojcik............ I get carried away now
        that baseball is back.........
        Thanks for writing.
        --- "Albert P. Dubnicka" <dubytwo@...> wrote:
        > Hi Irene,
        >
        > I know a Walter Wojcik that lives here in Palm Coast, FL. The last time I
        > checked he was still not using a computer. He is in his 80's and claims Polish
        > heritage.
        >
        > Al Dubnicka
        >
        > Irene Wojcik Gabon wrote:
        >
        > > iam researching KLESKEN and MAGAN families ancestors and descendants
        > from
        > > Predajna, Slovakia.
        > > Am interested in hearing from anyone on list who has family there or has
        > been
        > > in Predajna.
        > >
        > > =====
        > >
        > > Irena Wojcik Gabon iagabon@...
        > >
        > > WOJCIK BARAN FROM PACANOW SLUPIA STOPNICA KIELCE

        =====

        Irena Wojcik Gabon iagabon@...

        WOJCIK BARAN FROM PACANOW SLUPIA STOPNICA KIELCE

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • squinch42
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
          For a helpful cheat-sheet, try
          www.bmi.net/jjase/Latin_Terms_and_Phrases.html. This will provide you
          with a Latin: English matrix. INQ or INQUILINUS means tenant farmer
          whereas COL or COLONUS refers to a farmer who owns land, according to
          this site's listing.

          You can also try using Goggle and searching for Latin dictionary. It
          will give you a window to insert full latin words and receive a
          litany of English variations on the word's meaning.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dorothy Finn <dorothy@t...> wrote:

          > Hi Folks,
          > I've been pouring over films of church record books of Baptisms and
          > Marriages written in Latin from the old Spis region.
          > There are notations that I haven't been able to find the meaning of
          in
          > the books that I have and was wondering if anyone on the list knows
          what
          > they are.
          > Beneath the parents names and sometimes under the godparents names
          is
          > written pl, ing, zing, serv or col. I think col. Is a farmer so
          these
          > must be abbreviations of occupations.
          >
          > Also sometimes beneath the given name of the person baptized is
          written
          > for example " Extr 3/12/1938 L.88" sometimes this is written in the
          > Observations column. What does this mean?
          >
          > I have looked in Shea & Hoffman's book Following The Paper Trail,
          > Cassell's Latin Dictionary and some Latin translation sites on the
          web.
          > I would appreciate any input as to what these notaions mean or other
          > places to look.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Dorothy
        • Dorothy Finn

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
              Hi Folks,
              I forgot to mention the notations found on the marriage records.
              Before the Grooms name is written HJ and before the Brides name is
              written HV.
              Does anyone know what these mean?
              Thanks
              Dorothy
            • Dorothy Finn
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                Hi Folks,
                I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes Babony and Maria
                Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                I have verified this information.
                However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document in Reading,PA
                listed her parents as
                Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.

                I know that these two are siblings because of family interaction in my
                lifetime. I have birth and baptismal
                document that says Maria Babon(Babony) has the same parents as Jozef.
                So why would she put down a different mother
                and different county on her marriage record? I have looked but maybe
                not well enough for a village of Fridman in Zemplin.
                So, my question is, does anyone know where I might find a detailed map
                showing villages in Zemplin in the 1880's?

                Thanks
                Dorothy
              • John M,
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                  At 11:05 10.09.2002 -0700, you wrote:

                  >Hi Folks,
                  >I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                  >My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes Babony and Maria
                  >Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                  >I have verified this information.
                  >However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document in Reading,PA
                  >listed her parents as
                  >Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.

                  I don't see a village listing for Fridman in either Spis or Zemplin in the
                  "Nazy Obci...1773-1997" which list all the towns and village names during
                  the 1773-1997 period. I did find :

                  GURCAK ...... Fridman ...... Spis ...... Paff ...... PA ......
                  1462 at http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrp-gh.html

                  John
                • mimi3_49
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dorothy Finn <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                    > Hi Folks,
                    > I've been pouring over films of church record books of
                    Baptisms and
                    > Marriages written in Latin from the old Spis region.
                    > There are notations that I haven't been able to find the
                    meaning of in
                    > the books that I have and was wondering if anyone on the list
                    knows what
                    > they are.
                    > Beneath the parents names and sometimes under the
                    godparents names is
                    > written pl, ing, zing, serv or col. I think col. Is a farmer so these
                    > must be abbreviations of occupations.
                    >
                    > Also sometimes beneath the given name of the person
                    baptized is written
                    > for example " Extr 3/12/1938 L.88" sometimes this is written in
                    the
                    > Observations column. What does this mean?
                    >
                    > I have looked in Shea & Hoffman's book Following The Paper
                    Trail,
                    > Cassell's Latin Dictionary and some Latin translation sites on
                    the web.
                    > I would appreciate any input as to what these notaions mean
                    or other
                    > places to look.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Dorothy

                    Dorothy,
                    "zing" may be short for "zingarius", a word meaning '"gypsy". I
                    don't know about the others.. The LDS website has a pretty good
                    and extensive Latin dictionary as well as ones in other
                    languages. You can print them out and take to FHC with you if
                    they don't have one there.
                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                      At 17:15 10.09.2002 +0000, you wrote:
                      >www.bmi.net/jjase/

                      The URL above kept taking me to the Walla Walla, WA page. Try:

                      http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/Latin_Terms_and_Phrases.html

                      John
                    • mimi3_49
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                        > At 11:05 10.09.2002 -0700, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >Hi Folks,
                        > >I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                        > >My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes
                        Babony and Maria
                        > >Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                        > >I have verified this information.
                        > >However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document
                        in Reading,PA
                        > >listed her parents as
                        > >Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.
                        >
                        > I don't see a village listing for Fridman in either Spis or
                        Zemplin in the
                        > "Nazy Obci...1773-1997" which list all the towns and village
                        names during
                        > the 1773-1997 period. I did find :
                        >
                        > GURCAK ...... Fridman ...... Spis ...... Paff ...... PA ......
                        > 1462 at http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrp-gh.html
                        >
                        > John

                        The sister may have had the same father, but a different mother.
                        Was the grandfather married before? Perhaps the first wife died
                        and then the son was born after he remarried making the sister,
                        Maria, his half sister. Most likely she was raised by the new wife
                        and considered her her mother. Confusing, I know , but the
                        same situation existed with my great-grandfather. As for
                        "Fridman", - the spelling may be off, but it may well have been a
                        German town. There existed several of them in Spis County. I
                        again encountered the same problem with finding the birth town
                        of my grandmother. The town had a german name when it was
                        inhabited by Germans, a Hungarian name when Hungary was in
                        power, and finally today a Slovak name.
                      • Dr. Joe Q
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 10, 2002
                          There was a "Jacob" Fridman (spelled Friedmann in the marriage records records) from house #3 Zsegra (Z^ehra = Žehra, Slovakia; born ~1859), who lived in
                          Körtvélyes (Spišský Hrušov), he married my great great aunt. There are grave markers in the Spišský Hrušov cemetery with the name Fridman that are from
                          deaths in the 1920's.

                          Spišský Hrušov is 38 km (24 miles) west of Prešov, 10 km (6 miles) east of Spišská Nová Ves, 46 km (29 miles) northwest of Košice, 12 km southeast of
                          Levoča, and 300 km (195 miles) northeast of Bratislava.

                          Žehra is 6 km east northeast of Spišský Hrušov and 3 km south southeast of Spišský hrad (you can see the castle from Zehra).

                          This is in Spis^.

                          Dr. "Q"

                          mimi3_49 wrote:

                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                          > > At 11:05 10.09.2002 -0700, you wrote:
                          > >
                          > > >Hi Folks,
                          > > >I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                          > > >My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes
                          > Babony and Maria
                          > > >Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                          > > >I have verified this information.
                          > > >However, his sister Maria Babon on her marriage document
                          > in Reading,PA
                          > > >listed her parents as
                          > > >Joannes Babon and Maria Pisarcik, Fridman, Zemplin.
                          > >
                          > > I don't see a village listing for Fridman in either Spis or
                          > Zemplin in the
                          > > "Nazy Obci...1773-1997" which list all the towns and village
                          > names during
                          > > the 1773-1997 period. I did find :
                          > >
                          > > GURCAK ...... Fridman ...... Spis ...... Paff ...... PA ......
                          > > 1462 at http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrp-gh.html
                          > >
                          > > John
                          >
                          > The sister may have had the same father, but a different mother.
                          > Was the grandfather married before? Perhaps the first wife died
                          > and then the son was born after he remarried making the sister,
                          > Maria, his half sister. Most likely she was raised by the new wife
                          > and considered her her mother. Confusing, I know , but the
                          > same situation existed with my great-grandfather. As for
                          > "Fridman", - the spelling may be off, but it may well have been a
                          > German town. There existed several of them in Spis County. I
                          > again encountered the same problem with finding the birth town
                          > of my grandmother. The town had a german name when it was
                          > inhabited by Germans, a Hungarian name when Hungary was in
                          > power, and finally today a Slovak name.
                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 11, 2002
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Dorothy Finn <dorothy@t...> wrote:

                            > Hi Folks,
                            > I have come across a situation that is puzzling.
                            > My gf Jozef Babon(Babony) listed his parents Joannes Babony and
                            Maria
                            > Vodzsak, Fridman, Spis (Spech).
                            > I have verified this information.

                            'Fridman' was probably a German settlement located in former
                            Szepes/S^pis/Zipser county (now Slovakia), rather than in old
                            Hungarian Zemplén megye.

                            http://www.feefhs.org/frl/czs/dg-gps.html
                            http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15761b.htm

                            http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.ub.uni-
                            bielefeld.de/zips/&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2BZips%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%2
                            6lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN