City of Belova

  • patricia gavel
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2002
      On a 1911 church document, my ggrandmother Anna Sveda is from Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Trying to find the LDS film for this area. I have found my ggrf GAVEL in Lesnica, Hungary LDS films.

      Thanks, Patricia

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2002
        At 06:57 AM 9/1/2002 -0700, you wrote:

        >On a 1911 church document, my ggrandmother Anna Sveda is from Belova,
        >Saris Megye Hungary. Trying to find the LDS film for this area. I have
        >found my ggrf GAVEL in Lesnica, Hungary LDS films.
        >
        >Thanks, Patricia
        There is a town called Bellova Ves but it is in the Bratislava area. You
        may be looking for Beloveza or Belejovce. Both are in what was S^aris
        Megye. Beloveza is a short distance to the east of Bardejov. I didn't
        find any Sveda listed in Beloveza or Belejovce but I did find 4 listed in
        Bardejov.

        John
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., patricia gavel <pgsister@y...> wrote:

          > On a 1911 church document, my ggrandmother Anna Sveda is from
          Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Trying to find the LDS film for this
          area. I have found my ggrf GAVEL in Lesnica, Hungary LDS films.

          > Thanks, Patricia

          Will have to guess.
          For 1911, you would be looking for a Hungarian spelling of a place
          name located in now Slovakia.
          If an American document the place name was written as it sounded to
          the listener, not its actual spelling (which nobody checked in an
          atlas)

          A Bellova Ves is located in western Slovakia, 19 miles ESE of
          Bratislava so that can't be the place.

          According to the Hungarian Gazetteer, the only pre-WW I Hungarian
          place name (Bel?) located in Sáros megye (county) would be
          Belejóc
          (H), now Belejovce (Sk) and located 219 miles ENE of Bratislava.

          The Slovakia telephone directory lists 2 surnames S^veda under
          Svidník.
          Svidník is located 5 miles distant from Belejovce.

          The Slovakia telephone directory lists 4 surnames under Bardejov.
          Bardejov is located 14 miles from Bardejov.

          What was gGM's religion ?
        • patricia gavel
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 2002
            The Gavel's in Lesnica were Roman Catholic. Sveda were supposedly Greek Catholic. Someone referred me to the LDS films of Hazlin Hungary #1792095 to find my Sveda. I haven't found anyone on the films so I thought I must have the wrong ones. Trying to double check my cities.
            After I find the city, can you advise what's the next step to connecting with some distant kin you are finding in the phone directory? I found email addresses to my Surname Slovakians but the server wouldn't deliver mail to them. Thanks. PGavel
            frankly1us wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., patricia gavel <pgsister@y...> wrote:

            > On a 1911 church document, my ggrandmother Anna Sveda is from
            Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Trying to find the LDS film for this
            area. I have found my ggrf GAVEL in Lesnica, Hungary LDS films.

            > Thanks, Patricia

            Will have to guess.
            For 1911, you would be looking for a Hungarian spelling of a place
            name located in now Slovakia.
            If an American document the place name was written as it sounded to
            the listener, not its actual spelling (which nobody checked in an
            atlas)

            A Bellova Ves is located in western Slovakia, 19 miles ESE of
            Bratislava so that can't be the place.

            According to the Hungarian Gazetteer, the only pre-WW I Hungarian
            place name (Bel?) located in S�ros megye (county) would be
            Belej�c
            (H), now Belejovce (Sk) and located 219 miles ENE of Bratislava.

            The Slovakia telephone directory lists 2 surnames S^veda under
            Svidn�k.
            Svidn�k is located 5 miles distant from Belejovce.

            The Slovakia telephone directory lists 4 surnames under Bardejov.
            Bardejov is located 14 miles from Bardejov.

            What was gGM's religion ?

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2, 2002
              You have mentioned the names of several towns, with similar sounding names (some maybe incomplete) and similar spellings:

              Belovez^a (Belovezsa, Sáros "Hungary") is 8 km east of Bardejov (LDS films 1792049 and 1792004 - Greek Catholic).

              Haz^li'n is 3 km east of Belovez^a (LDS films 1792094 and 1792095 - Roman Catholic; 1792920 and 1792921 - Greek Catholic).

              Belejovce 12 km northeast of Haz^li'n, 7 km north of Svidni'k.

              As Frank pointed out below - Bellova Ves is about 25 km south east of Bratislava (about 350 km west southwest of Bardejov).

              Additionally Lesnica (LDS films 1739441 and 1739442 - Roman Catholic) is only 5 km northeast of Lechnica (LDS films 1739439 and 1739440 - Roman Catholic) both are about 40 km north of Levoc^a, 20 km north of Spis^ska' bela', and 66 km east northeast of Bardejov.

              A detailed map of Slovakia is very important when searching for "Americanized" town names, additionally Hungarian spellings are frequently interchanged with Slovak further confusing things. Some Hungarian town names bear very little resemblance to the Slovak name, e.g.
              Spis^ska' Nova' Ves = Iglo (Hungarian).

              Do you have any documents that could clarify this?

              Dr. "Q"

              patricia gavel wrote:

              > The Gavel's in Lesnica were Roman Catholic. Sveda were supposedly Greek Catholic. Someone referred me to the LDS films of Hazlin Hungary #1792095 to find my Sveda. I haven't found anyone on the films so I thought I must have the wrong ones. Trying to double check my cities.
              > After I find the city, can you advise what's the next step to connecting with some distant kin you are finding in the phone directory? I found email addresses to my Surname Slovakians but the server wouldn't deliver mail to them. Thanks. PGavel
              > frankly1us wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., patricia gavel <pgsister@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > On a 1911 church document, my ggrandmother Anna Sveda is from
              > Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Trying to find the LDS film for this
              > area. I have found my ggrf GAVEL in Lesnica, Hungary LDS films.
              > >
              > > Thanks, Patricia

              > Will have to guess.
              > For 1911, you would be looking for a Hungarian spelling of a place
              > name located in now Slovakia.
              > If an American document the place name was written as it sounded to
              > the listener, not its actual spelling (which nobody checked in an
              > atlas)
              >
              > A Bellova Ves is located in western Slovakia, 19 miles ESE of
              > Bratislava so that can't be the place.
              >
              > According to the Hungarian Gazetteer, the only pre-WW I Hungarian
              > place name (Bel?) located in Sáros megye (county) would be
              > Belejóc
              > (H), now Belejovce (Sk) and located 219 miles ENE of Bratislava.
              >
              > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 2 surnames S^veda under
              > Svidník.
              > Svidník is located 5 miles distant from Belejovce.
              >
              > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 4 surnames under Bardejov.
              > Bardejov is located 14 miles from Bardejov.
              >
              > What was gGM's religion ?
            • Joan Hendershot
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
                I have a Maria Sveda married into one of my lines. She was from Olsavica,
                Spis, Hungary.

                Slovak Pride lists two Svedas. One from Bardejov and one from Livovska
                Huta.

                Dont know if that helps.

                Joan
              • Konekta
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
                  Hello Patricia,
                  There is no place called Belova, but you can try Beloveza.
                  I was researching this area recently and have surname Sveda, found in the Gc parish of Ortutova.
                  But, try Beloveza first. I am sure, you will find them there.
                  Regards,
                  Vladimir
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
                    At 05:37 AM 11/10/2002 -0800, you wrote:

                    >Hello All,
                    >
                    >On a baptism cert. 1911 from Penn., Anna Sveda was listed from the city of
                    >Belova, Saris Megye Hungary. Have been searching LDS films 1792049 &
                    >1792004 Cirkerna matrika in Belejovce. Didn't find any Sveda's or even
                    >close to the spelling. They were Greek Catholic and possible related to
                    >Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look next?
                    >
                    >Thanks much, Patricia

                    My mother's village is located a few miles southwest of Bardejov. Sveda
                    and Karaffa are familiar names to me. There are a few towns over the hill
                    from her village Livov, Livovska Hutta, Luko, and Valencia. If you look at
                    the Ellis Island database you will find several Sveda and Karafa,Karaffa
                    listing these towns (and variations of the town's spelling) as their home
                    towns. It would take a bit of a stretch of imagination to come up with
                    Belova but someone familiar with the language might see some
                    possibilities. Was Belova in cursive on the certificate? If so could
                    there be some possibility the town was misread? Was Sveda her maiden
                    name? Where was she headed on arrival? Where in PA did she settle?

                    John M.
                  • Konekta
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 10, 2002
                      Dear John M.,
                      Of course, this Belova is a misspelling. As I already noted, there is and was no such place here.
                      Most probably, there was no place to write the name in whole length, which would have been Beloveza.
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                        At 07:59 AM 11/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                        >Dear John M.,
                        >Of course, this Belova is a misspelling. As I already noted, there is and
                        >was no such place here.
                        >Most probably, there was no place to write the name in whole length, which
                        >would have been Beloveza.
                        >Vladimir

                        Dear Vlad,

                        Good theory Vlad but she said:

                        "Have been searching LDS films 1792049 & 1792004 Cirkerna matrika in
                        Belejovce." (error in naming the village)

                        FHL INTL Film 1792049 , FHL INTL Film 1792004 are BELOVEZA films and she
                        then said:

                        "Didn't find any Sveda's or even close to the spelling. They were Greek
                        Catholic and possible related to Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a
                        suggestion where to look next?"

                        One of the EIDB entries I found was for a family of 6 by the name of
                        Karaffa. Their home village was spelled Libowa in 5 cases and a typo
                        Lobowa for the 6th. There is no such town in Slovakia. I think they were
                        referring to Livo, now known as Livov and, which had several Karaffa
                        emigrees. Since you are fluent in Slovak, perhaps you can explain the
                        ending given to the town name. There are a few towns that begin with Libo
                        but none that end in "wa".

                        John M.
                      • Konekta
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                          Dear John,
                          It was something, that begins with Belo.So, if she checked the Beloveza already, then she should check Belejovce next. This is all the same general area and I know, the surnames were there.
                          The ending wa merely indicates female gender of the place name.
                          Philadelphia would be female and Boston would be male.
                          So are the places here too. And many other forms too.
                          Quite complicated to learn and understand for non Slovaks.
                          Some Examples;
                          Bardejov je (is)
                          Breznicka je (is)
                          Giraltovce su (is)
                          Hankovce su (is)
                          Zilina je (is)
                          Piestany su (is)
                          Kozany su (is)
                          Kosariska su (is)
                          Smolinske je (is)
                          Krajne je (is)
                          Krompachy su (is)
                          Cicmany su (is)
                          Gbely je (is)
                          and so on
                          Regards,
                          Vladimir

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                            Hello Gentlemen,
                            You're expertise is appreciated because I'm not slovak and I'm trying desperately to learn all I can. Are you both in agreement that I should order FHL INTL Film 1794356 and 1794357 Belejoc in GC Vapenik records?
                            Patricia
                            Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear John,

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 11, 2002
                              At 08:44 PM 11/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                              >Dear John,
                              >It was something, that begins with Belo.So, if she checked the Beloveza
                              >already, then she should check Belejovce next. This is all the same
                              >general area and I know, the surnames were there.

                              I believe she is doing that.

                              > The ending wa merely indicates female gender of the place name.
                              > Philadelphia would be female and Boston would be male. So are the places
                              > here too. And many other forms too. Quite complicated to learn and
                              > understand for non Slovaks.

                              Thanks. It has been 40 years since I spoke Rusyn on an infrequent and
                              imperfect basis with my parents but I have a hazy recollection of their
                              using the term Livova. I think it would be used in a case where they would
                              say "Ona je od Livova" which I hope is the correct way of saying "She is
                              from Livov".

                              The reason I mentioned the Karaffas from Libowa is that I believe they were
                              from Livo(v). They were going to Toronto, Ohio which is an Ohio River town
                              near Pittsburgh. Many of the villagers from Livov and surrounding villages
                              emigrated to Toronto, Empire, and Stratton Ohio. These towns are clustered
                              together on the Ohio River. Others went to the Braddock, Homestead,
                              Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area. There is an Anna Sveda from Luko (ancestral
                              village of actor Robert Urich (1946-2002)) going to the Pittsburgh area and
                              several other Svedas from Livov, and Livovska Hutta going to the same area
                              in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have been unable to change Livova to
                              Belova but the EIDB does show a lot of Karaffa and Sveda emigrating from
                              that area.

                              John M.
                            • Konekta
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                                Yes, Patricia. Vapeni Gc. But, you will not have much fun. The records are only 1862-1895.
                                If you then check the census for 1869 , you can find persons there, that were born before 1862.
                                =====
                                Interestingly, nobody reacted on place names I gave.
                                Example;
                                Bardejov je daleko. Bardejov is far. Here the "is" is correct.
                                A foreigner would always use "is" in english, whic is, of course not always correct.
                                Here are now the correct english spellings for the examples;
                                Breznicka is far.
                                Giraltovce are far.
                                Hankovce are far.
                                Zilina is far.
                                Piestany are far.
                                Kozany are far.
                                Kosariska are far.
                                Smolinske is / are far. Not sure myself.
                                Krajne is far.
                                Krompachy are far.
                                Cicmany are far.
                                Gbely is far.

                                Vladimir

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                                  Vladimir,
                                  Is the census located on the same films? Not familiar. Christina Anna Sveda was born 5-3-1887. Her death cert. said her father was John Sveda. I'm going this afternoon to order these film. thanks,
                                  Patricia
                                  Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Yes, Patricia. Vapeni Gc. But, you will not have much fun. The records are only 1862-1895.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                                    At 01:38 PM 11/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:

                                    >Vladimir,
                                    >Is the census located on the same films? Not familiar. Christina Anna
                                    >Sveda was born 5-3-1887. Her death cert. said her father was John
                                    >Sveda. I'm going this afternoon to order these film. thanks,
                                    >Patricia

                                    No. The census is on - Belejócz (Belejovce) - FHL INTL Film [ 2150628
                                    Item 9 ]

                                    John M.
                                  • Dr. Joe Q
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                                      The name Karaffa was in Livov at least until 1980. It is the name of my great great grandfather (Andrej [about 1832 - 1935] who was married Anna Molc^an
                                      [12 Aug 1824 - ?), their daughter Anna Karaffa married Michael Pi'llar (also from Livov).

                                      Dr. "Q"

                                      "John M," wrote:

                                      > At 08:44 PM 11/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                      > >Dear John,
                                      > >It was something, that begins with Belo.So, if she checked the Beloveza
                                      > >already, then she should check Belejovce next. This is all the same
                                      > >general area and I know, the surnames were there.
                                      >
                                      > I believe she is doing that.
                                      >
                                      > > The ending wa merely indicates female gender of the place name.
                                      > > Philadelphia would be female and Boston would be male. So are the places
                                      > > here too. And many other forms too. Quite complicated to learn and
                                      > > understand for non Slovaks.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks. It has been 40 years since I spoke Rusyn on an infrequent and
                                      > imperfect basis with my parents but I have a hazy recollection of their
                                      > using the term Livova. I think it would be used in a case where they would
                                      > say "Ona je od Livova" which I hope is the correct way of saying "She is
                                      > from Livov".
                                      >
                                      > The reason I mentioned the Karaffas from Libowa is that I believe they were
                                      > from Livo(v). They were going to Toronto, Ohio which is an Ohio River town
                                      > near Pittsburgh. Many of the villagers from Livov and surrounding villages
                                      > emigrated to Toronto, Empire, and Stratton Ohio. These towns are clustered
                                      > together on the Ohio River. Others went to the Braddock, Homestead,
                                      > Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area. There is an Anna Sveda from Luko (ancestral
                                      > village of actor Robert Urich (1946-2002)) going to the Pittsburgh area and
                                      > several other Svedas from Livov, and Livovska Hutta going to the same area
                                      > in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have been unable to change Livova to
                                      > Belova but the EIDB does show a lot of Karaffa and Sveda emigrating from
                                      > that area.
                                      >
                                      > John M.
                                    • patricia gavel
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002
                                        "Dr. Joe Q" <drq@...> wrote:
                                        On the marriage license for my ggrandmother Anna Sveda 20yr married 1907 Jakob Gavel 23yr. Above her name ^ Karaffa as an inserted name. Noone has heard of this name but it must have been in the family somewhere. Oh, they married in Penn.

                                        Patricia

                                        The name Karaffa was in Livov at least until 1980. It is the name of my great great grandfather (Andrej [about 1832 - 1935] who was married Anna Molc^an
                                        [12 Aug 1824 - ?), their daughter Anna Karaffa married Michael Pi'llar (also from Livov).

                                        Dr. "Q"
                                        .

                                      • Frank
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 12, 2002

                                          I wrote:

                                          > "There is a town called Bellova Ves but it is in the Bratislava
                                          area. You
                                          > may be looking for Beloveza or Belejovce. Both are in what was
                                          S^aris
                                          > Megye. Beloveza is a short distance to the east of Bardejov."
                                          >
                                          > Good theory Vlad but she said:
                                          >
                                          > "Have been searching LDS films 1792049 & 1792004 Cirkerna matrika in
                                          > Belejovce." (error in naming the village)
                                          >
                                          > FHL INTL Film 1792049 , FHL INTL Film 1792004 are BELOVEZA films
                                          and she
                                          > then said:
                                          >
                                          > "Didn't find any Sveda's or even close to the spelling. They were
                                          Greek
                                          > Catholic and possible related to Karaffa surname. Does anyone have a
                                          > suggestion where to look next?"
                                          >
                                          > One of the EIDB entries I found was for a family of 6 by the name of
                                          > Karaffa. Their home village was spelled Libowa in 5 cases and a
                                          typo
                                          > Lobowa for the 6th. There is no such town in Slovakia. I think
                                          they were
                                          > referring to Livo, now known as Livov and, which had several Karaffa
                                          > emigrees. Since you are fluent in Slovak, perhaps you can explain
                                          the
                                          > ending given to the town name. There are a few towns that begin
                                          with Libo
                                          > but none that end in "wa".
                                          >
                                          > John M.

                                          Libowa isn't Lipowa, but you can use it by way of analogy.

                                          In Slovak, letter v is pron. v and letter v (ending) is pron. w
                                          In Polish, letter w is pron. v.
                                          In German, letter v is pron. f,v and letter w is pron. v.

                                          (There are 8 place names Lipowa located in Poland)

                                          Livo' (H)
                                          Livov (Sk)
                                          Livivi (Rusyn)

                                          Belejovce (Sk) is Belejivci in Rusyn.
                                          Belovez^a (Sk) is Biloveza in Rusyn.

                                          Some names for towns or villages are plural in Slovak.
                                          Often they end in -ice (feminine gender) or -any (masculine gender)

                                          Pies^t'any (m)
                                          Topol'c^any (m)

                                          Kos^ice (f)
                                          Madunice (f)

                                          When Cyrillic alphabet is transliterated into Roman (Latin)
                                          alphabet, 5-6 different spellings are possible - all correct because
                                          there is no standard.
                                          Depends upon which European language the names were transliterated to
                                          last.

                                          Lvov (E) is located 468 km west of Kiev, Ukraine.
                                          Lwów (P)
                                          Lvóv, Lvyv
                                          J| b B i B (Uk)
                                          J| b B O B (Ru)
                                          Leopolis (L)
                                          Lemberg (G)

                                          Or, Kiev (E)
                                          K | | B (Cyrillic)
                                          K i i v
                                          Kief
                                          Kiew
                                          Kijew
                                          Kijow
                                          Kiyev
                                          Kyyi

                                          As for typos in EIR, I found my related surnames under 11 different
                                          place name spellings, which were actually 3 different place names
                                          under Upper Hungary (Slovakia) misspelled.
                                          Sometimes you need to know both the Slovak and Magyar place names so
                                          you can identify the actual village.
                                        • Konekta
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 13, 2002
                                            Dear Frank,
                                            Excellent. Thank you.
                                            Always, when I have a problem, identifying the place of one spouse, I try so called " genealogical triangulation".
                                            I use the place of the wife , which should not be far away, if not the same.Have solved couple ud hopeless cases in this way.
                                            Of course, this is not always possible.
                                            Regards,
                                            Vladimir