Re: [S-R] just getting started

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
      <PRE>A good place to start would be death and birth certificates, if you can find
      them. Also, some census forms indicate whether or not one is a naturalized
      citizen and the date of immigration. With that year, you can figure out when
      they would have been eligible to apply for citizenship, and try to find their
      naturalization papers and Declaration of Intent. These should contain a lot
      of useful information. Remember also, that a lot of the area was at one time
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, so someone could say that they were
      Hungarian, but not be actually from Hungary. Do you have any relatives who
      might remember family stories? Also, once you have more information, you can
      start looking in more places. Ellis Island is a great source of information,
      but it is not always accurate. In my case, I found that what was listed as
      "place of origin" was actually just the town in which they were living when
      they left, NOT where they really came from. Good luck! Elizabeth
    • McKee June
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
        thanks, yeah my father is still living and cousins
        which have some stories of family. My dads parents
        died when he was young but he said that his parents
        were both from hungary and that his mother talked
        about it all the time. She talked of Munkacs. I will
        try what you say and see if I can come up with
        anything.

        thanks
        june

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
          At 05:39 AM 9/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Hi my name is June and I have just really gotten started on tracing
          >my family roots.
          >
          >My grandmother came from I believe Munkacs which I beleive is now in
          >the Ukraine.

          Munkacs is now Mukachevo, Ukraine. You might have better success trying
          the Ukrainian or Rusyn mailing lists. I'm not sure the LDS has microfilmed
          in that area. I couldn't find anything on the town in the FHLC but those
          more familiar with Ukraine might know.

          I found 12 Boldiz^ar listings in Kosice, 1 in Presov and 2 in Bratislava in
          the SK online directory.

          >I don't see his name on the manifest either. I do see other Kolinas
          >but not with his first name or at the right dates. I really don't
          >have a whole lot of information to go buy because I have no exact
          >years just aprox.

          What is his and her given name and what age and time period are you looking in?

          John
        • Jack VS
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
            Hello June:
            you might want to see if you have his naturalization certificate and then contact the court that is on the document and get his intent of citizenship it is a gold mine of information

            Jack

            thanks, yeah my father is still living and cousins
            which have some stories of family. My dads parents
            died when he was young but he said that his parents
            were both from hungary and that his mother talked
            about it all the time. She talked of Munkacs. I will
            try what you say and see if I can come up with
            anything.

            thanks
            june

            http://finance.yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • McKee June
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
              hi John,

              I am looking for Mary Boldizar time period is abt.
              1905 when she arrived at Ellis Island and she died
              around 1934. I did find several with her name but they
              can't be her because she died much eariler than they
              did.

              My grandfather was Joseph Kolina and I would think
              that he probably arrived around the same time period
              possibly a year or so eariler. He died in the
              seventies.

              thanks,
              June

              http://finance.yahoo.com
            • McKee June
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
                hi Jack,
                we don't have any papers at all. there was a trunk at
                one time but somehow got misplaced somewhere in my
                fathers family. Is there any other way of trying to
                track down naturalization papers? I wonder if I
                contacted the cemetaries if I would be able to find
                out anything that way. I havent had any luck in any of
                the sites. I am gonna make a trip to the lds on
                wednesday and maybe I can find out something.

                thanks
                june

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
                  how do I get into the sk directory? Also is there a
                  site for the ukrainian or Rusyn mailing list?
                  I have been noticing alot of mentioning of rusyn, I am
                  not familiar with who they are?

                  thanks
                  june

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002

                    http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

                    >Also is there a site for the ukrainian or Rusyn mailing list?

                    >I have been noticing alot of mentioning of rusyn, I am
                    >not familiar with who they are?

                    Try http://carpatho-rusyn.org/

                    John