Re: [S-R] just getting started

  • Jack VS
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hello June:
      I found a few things on boldizar -

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ancestorsearchresults.asp?last_name=boldizar

      Maybe that can help

      Jack

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: junemckee
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 1:39 AM
      Subject: [S-R] just getting started

      Hi my name is June and I have just really gotten started on tracing
      my family roots.

      My grandmother came from I believe Munkacs which I beleive is now in
      the Ukraine. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out any
      information on her? She ended up in New York by way of Ellis Island
      but is not on the manifest because she went to see America and
      couldnt get back because of the war breaking out. The name I am
      searching out is Boldizar if anyone could help me on what to do first.

      My grandfathers name is the one that I am having a really hard time
      finding anywhere. Our name is Kolina and I was always told that we
      are Hungarian. Well I don't see our name in any of the Hungarian
      surnames. Also he, so I was told but not sure came from Presov which
      I think is now Slovakia. I don't know how he ended up in New York but
      I don't see his name on the manifest either. I do see other Kolinas
      but not with his first name or at the right dates. I really don't
      have a whole lot of information to go buy because I have no exact
      years just aprox.

      I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me at all.

      thank,
      June McKee

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • EMSCRS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
        <PRE>A good place to start would be death and birth certificates, if you can find
        them. Also, some census forms indicate whether or not one is a naturalized
        citizen and the date of immigration. With that year, you can figure out when
        they would have been eligible to apply for citizenship, and try to find their
        naturalization papers and Declaration of Intent. These should contain a lot
        of useful information. Remember also, that a lot of the area was at one time
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, so someone could say that they were
        Hungarian, but not be actually from Hungary. Do you have any relatives who
        might remember family stories? Also, once you have more information, you can
        start looking in more places. Ellis Island is a great source of information,
        but it is not always accurate. In my case, I found that what was listed as
        "place of origin" was actually just the town in which they were living when
        they left, NOT where they really came from. Good luck! Elizabeth
      • McKee June
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
          thanks, yeah my father is still living and cousins
          which have some stories of family. My dads parents
          died when he was young but he said that his parents
          were both from hungary and that his mother talked
          about it all the time. She talked of Munkacs. I will
          try what you say and see if I can come up with
          anything.

          thanks
          june

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
            At 05:39 AM 9/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hi my name is June and I have just really gotten started on tracing
            >my family roots.
            >
            >My grandmother came from I believe Munkacs which I beleive is now in
            >the Ukraine.

            Munkacs is now Mukachevo, Ukraine. You might have better success trying
            the Ukrainian or Rusyn mailing lists. I'm not sure the LDS has microfilmed
            in that area. I couldn't find anything on the town in the FHLC but those
            more familiar with Ukraine might know.

            I found 12 Boldiz^ar listings in Kosice, 1 in Presov and 2 in Bratislava in
            the SK online directory.

            >I don't see his name on the manifest either. I do see other Kolinas
            >but not with his first name or at the right dates. I really don't
            >have a whole lot of information to go buy because I have no exact
            >years just aprox.

            What is his and her given name and what age and time period are you looking in?

            John
          • Jack VS
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2002
              Hello June:
              you might want to see if you have his naturalization certificate and then contact the court that is on the document and get his intent of citizenship it is a gold mine of information

              Jack

              thanks, yeah my father is still living and cousins
              which have some stories of family. My dads parents
              died when he was young but he said that his parents
              were both from hungary and that his mother talked
              about it all the time. She talked of Munkacs. I will
              try what you say and see if I can come up with
              anything.

              thanks
              june

              http://finance.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • McKee June
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
                hi John,

                I am looking for Mary Boldizar time period is abt.
                1905 when she arrived at Ellis Island and she died
                around 1934. I did find several with her name but they
                can't be her because she died much eariler than they
                did.

                My grandfather was Joseph Kolina and I would think
                that he probably arrived around the same time period
                possibly a year or so eariler. He died in the
                seventies.

                thanks,
                June

                http://finance.yahoo.com
              • McKee June
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
                  hi Jack,
                  we don't have any papers at all. there was a trunk at
                  one time but somehow got misplaced somewhere in my
                  fathers family. Is there any other way of trying to
                  track down naturalization papers? I wonder if I
                  contacted the cemetaries if I would be able to find
                  out anything that way. I havent had any luck in any of
                  the sites. I am gonna make a trip to the lds on
                  wednesday and maybe I can find out something.

                  thanks
                  june

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
                    how do I get into the sk directory? Also is there a
                    site for the ukrainian or Rusyn mailing list?
                    I have been noticing alot of mentioning of rusyn, I am
                    not familiar with who they are?

                    thanks
                    june

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002

                      http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

                      >Also is there a site for the ukrainian or Rusyn mailing list?

                      >I have been noticing alot of mentioning of rusyn, I am
                      >not familiar with who they are?

                      Try http://carpatho-rusyn.org/

                      John