Re: [S-R] Volkovoje and Ungordas

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2002
      Michael, you need to look in Ukraine, not Slovakia.

      Ungordas is Vovkove (in the official Ukrainian), Vovkovoje/Volkovoje in the
      local Rusyn language. It's just east of Uzhhorod, in the Zakarpatska
      (Transcarpathian) Oblast. The village is inhabited by Rusyns.

      See this map segment:
      http://lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg58.html

      Unfortunately, the village isn't marked, but it's just southwest of Serednje
      [looks like CepedHe], just east of Rus'ki Komarivci [looks like Pycbki
      KomapiBu,i].

      Information about Rusyns:
      www.carpatho-rusyn.org
      www.carpathorusynsociety.org
      www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc

      Information about Transcarpathia:
      http://www.carpathia.uzhgorod.ua/English/hstry-e.htm
      http://www.zakarpattja.westportal.net/index.html

      Good luck...

      Rich Custer

      p.s. There are also a lot of Spontaks from the village Dubrovka/Dubrivka,
      the southeast neighboring village from Vovkovoje.