Re: [S-R] Looking for Pavlyik/Pavlik

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 7:21 PM
      The name is most likely Pavli'k (Pavlík) with an accent on the "i". Your friend is correct, a "y" or even "j" is not found in the spelling of Pavlik.

      You are probably correct about the spelling change, your ancestors pronounced the name "pahv leek" but it might have sounded like "leeyk" and the officials
      put a "Y" after the "L".

      Any records before 1920 will show their country as Austria or Hungary, from 1920 -1993 it would be recorded a Czechoslovakia, now it's either Czech Republic
      or Slovak Republic (Slovakia).

      Church funeral records may have the name of their town of origin, unfortunately Pavlik is a common name.

      Dr. "Q"