Looking for Pavlyik/Pavlik

  • Mebjwb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2002
      Hi,

      I'm new to this group, and I am looking for some good advice. I am a novice
      at this, so please excuse my obvious ignorance about researching for this
      particular material.

      I am trying to locate information about my maternal grandparents. Their name
      was listed as Pavlyik or Pavlik. I have made a recent friend of a young lady
      from The Czech Republic, and she tells me Pavlyik is grammatically incorrect,
      in fact just wrong. My grandparents always used the spelling, "Pavlik",
      however a corrected SS-5 record (OOAN-7003) changes the spelling to conform
      to "citizenship" papers. Could this have been a spelling used by an
      Immigration Officer? Both of my Grandparents were well-read and wrote
      proficiently in their native language.

      I cannot find them on the 1900, 1910, or 1920 Census for either PA or OHIO
      (where they lived during those years). However the 1930 Census shows their
      Country of Origin as Czechoslovakia.

      I have very little information: an OOAN-7003 form showing Josef Pavlyik,
      Father John, Mother Anna Yacub/Yacul. Place of birth: Austria-Hungary. No
      other information. I never did receive the SS-5 form I originally requested.

      My Grandmother's name was Theresa Oshowski/Ulsowski (received from my
      Mother's baptism records. I see from the spelling that it is Polish,
      although she always told me they were both Slovak. I was 10 years old when
      Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia. Both my Grandparents were visibly upset, and
      said this was their original Homeland. I have checked the District Courts
      in Allegheny County, PA, and the Federal Records in Philadelphia, Maryland
      and Chicago. No "Citizenship" papers.

      I have checked the passengers' arrival list at the local National Archives
      for Ellis Island for the period from 1896-1900. There are many Joseph
      Pavliks. How to tell which one? No Theresa.

      Will someone please advise me if there is any real hope of finding anything
      with so little information to go on? What are the Ellis Island records your
      members keep referring to? Can anyone point me in the right direction, or
      suggest a good starting point?

      Any answers to my above questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      Marge Bonifield
      Mebjwb@...