Re: Village Identification assistance needed

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "squinch42" <pvfezziwig@d...> wrote:
      > I have found my surname in Udol, Circ, Maly Lipnik and Orlov.
      > However, I traced my particular lineage entirely within the limits
      of
      > Orlov and/or Andrejovka. Now I find great-great grandfather Sztegena
      > and and at least one son citing a place I can't find on the Rusyn
      map
      > I purchased from the C-RS. Can anyone help to identify the town? I
      > have two spellings from an 1840 marraige record : Kofiulne and
      > Kofainen. The "f" script looks like it's the German "s" and the "iu"
      > might be "ai" as the letters appear to be open.
      >
      > This is the first and earliest instance where Orlov is not cited in
      > the church records for this surname. I hope someone can help.
      Thanks.

      Andrejovka and Orlov are located in the Stará L'ubovn^a region of
      eastern Slovakia.
      Interesting region.
      Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
      Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
      centuries.
      The German 'f' script letter can look like the German double ss
      letter.
      Expect Kossainen, or whatever is a German spelling, was some village
      located in this region ?

      The G.C. parish church records for Andrejovka are listed under Orlov.
      There is also a Andrejová located near Bradejov.

      But, Transcarpathia was called Zakarpat'ia (Ru) Zakarpattia (Uk)
      and was part of Czechoslovakia 1920-1938.
      Only in 1945 did Czechoslovakia's former province of Subcarpathian
      Rus' became part of the Soviet Union and later the Ukraine.