Re: Hungarian Help needed

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
      I think that is a very good guess. It was a list of names and numbers, in
      columns. I will look at it more carefully and see if that makes sense. It
      is interesting that the Lutheran pastor wrote that bit in Slovak when he was
      so careful to write everything else in church Latin or Hungarian. There are
      extended bits of commentary in the baptismal records here and there, as if
      some unusual situation required explanation, or perhaps because some local
      landowner or official had a baby and the names of the important people in
      attendance were recorded. Well, I just got my introductory Slovak textbook,
      so some of the fog will lift eventually.

      Andrea

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
        Hi Andrea

        If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
        This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
        language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
        as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.

        And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
        commerce today!!!!

        mark
      • John Matsko
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
          At 08:51 PM 6/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >From: MJESKO@... (mark JESKO)
          >
          >Hi again
          >
          >DUCHODEK ROKU may mean confirmation year.

          Mark,

          Confirmation in Slovak is "birmovanie". I thought it might have something to
          do with death registerations but that is "zomrel�i". It may have something to
          do with the clergy:

          Slovensky Anglicky

          duchovensk� cleric
          duchovensk� cleric
          duchovensk� cleric
          duchovenstvo clergy
          duchovenstvo sacerdocy
          duchovenstvo ministry
          duchovia angels
          duchovn� pastorate
          duchovn� cleric
          duchovn� mor�lka spirit

          Czech = English

          duchod = income
          duchod = pension
          duchod = rent
          duchod (rocni) = annuity
          duchod (starobni) = old-age pension
          duchod (starobni, GB) = old age pension
          duchod (statni) = revenue
          duchodce = annuitant
          duchodce (penzista) = pensionary
          duchodce (penzista) = pensioner
          duchodova dan = assessment on income
          duchodovy urad = revenue
          duchody (penezni) = monetary incomes
          duchovensky = clerical
          duchovensky = ecclesiastical
          duchovenstvo = clergy
          duchovenstvo = ministry
          duchovni = Reverend
          duchovni = ecclesiastic
          duchovni = inward
          duchovni = priest
          duchovni = spiritual
          duchovni (hovor.) = parson
          duchovni (knez) = divine
          duchovni (nab.) = ghostly
          duchovni (nejnizsi, anglikansky, GB = deacon
          duchovni (obycejne anglikansky) = clergyman
          duchovni (presbytarianske neb nekon = minister
          duchovni (zkr.) = Rev. (Reverend)
          duchovni pece = cure
          duchovni urad = ministry
          duchovno = spirituality
          duchovnost = inwardness
          duchovnost = spirituality
          duchovy (netelesny) = unbodied
          duchovy (strasidelny) = spectral

          John

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
            No, the records are from the 18th century. They are mostly in Latin but I
            thought that I saw some Hungarian here and there, where the pastor wrote a
            longer note about something. There are also bits of Slovak. I have a lot
            more work to do on this microfilm so I can write down some of the text bits.

            > If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
            > This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
            > language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
            > as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.
            >
            > And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
            > commerce today!!!!
            >
            > mark

            > Who is the most visited e-mail list community Web Service?
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > ONElist.com - where more than 20 million e-mails are exchanged each day!

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
              About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
              down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
              gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

              Joe Armata
              joe@...

              > From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
              >
              > In the course of browsing through the baptism records for Rankovce in the
              > 18th century I found a part of the book where there appeared to be some
              > other kind of list. The words used were Duchodek Roku -- come to think of
              > it, that sounds more Slovak than Magyar. I tried to find it on the
              > Hungarian Dictionary on-line page but no luck --- maybe it needs diacritical
              > marks? I can try the Slovak Dictionary, but does anyone have a suggestion?
              > There were columns of numbers and names.
              >
              > Thanks, Andrea

              > Attention ONElist list owners.
              > http://www.onelist.com
              > Check out the new "DEFAULT MODERATED STATUS" option. See homepage.

            • John Matsko
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
                At 08:55 AM 6/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
                >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
                >
                >About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
                >down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
                >gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

                Hi Joe,

                Thanks for the definition. I wondered if it had something to do with it after
                finding the following in a Czech on-line dictionary:

                duchod = income
                duchod = pension
                duchod = rent
                duchod (rocni) = annuity