Re: Austria-Hungary etc

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 1999
      Deb,

      To get records from "Austria-Hungary" you have to figure out where the
      town/village is now.... records for most of the Slovak Republic are
      filmed and can be accessed via FHCs, records for the Czech Republic are
      not filmed and you must deal with their archives. If the place is now in
      Hungary or Poland or some other place you'll have to see if the record
      is filmed by LDS, or deal with their archives also.

      As for passenger lists, the information given on them depends on the
      year of the manifest. The US did not require detailed information until
      1892, when the passenger had to give place of origin in Europe, name and
      address of who they were going to etc. Before then all the US required
      was name, age , occupation and usually port of embarkation; any other
      info such as place of residence was only written down if the ship line
      asked for it. I've searched NY arrivals fairly extensively, and I can
      say that many of the ships coming from Liverpool/Queenstown gave extra
      information, the ones from Germany (where the Slovaks would usually
      embark) did not.

      For NJ census info, see the section on US Census on my Hints page for a
      list of the states that have 1910 soundexes.

      For information on that home in Manhattan, I would suggest joining and
      asking on the NYC list, send subscribe to
      NYC-ROOTS-L-request@...

      Hope this helps you.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...