Austria-Hungary

  • Deb Blabolil
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 15, 1999
      Hi-

      Does anyone know how to obtain records from Austria Hungary back from the
      late 1800's to early 1900's - I have several death certificates of family
      members that say either Austria-Hungary or Bohemia for where they were born.
      They were born or lived in Strakonice- anyone hear of it?

      Also, I have birth dates, death dates- can't find marriages because they
      were almost all married before coming to the US- now how to I find out what
      port they came to and what boat?? I have the date of naturalization/ when
      they came over from the 1900, 1920 New Jersey and New York census but
      nothing else to go on???
      what does the passenger lists have on it?

      And- has anyone ever heard of the Mt. Carmel Home in Manhattan, NY- it is
      now closed but it was a hospital or rest home- I had a relative live there
      and it is now a convent for wayward girls but Mt. Carmel existed in 1980
      and can't imagine where the heck it went.

      is there a 1910 census for NJ directory or do you have to search through
      all the streets- unlike the 1900, 1920 which tells you which page to look on.

      Searching BLABOLIL and now looking for VERA PELECH of IL and any HICKS
      family members in PA or NY

      Thanks

      Deb

      Deb Blabolil
      dlb14@...
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 15, 1999
        Deb,

        I just have some of the simpler stuff. Strakonice is in the Czech
        Republic near the German border. Depending on the European atlas you
        have, look for the town between Prague, Czechia and Passau Germany. It
        is on the road connecting the two at the last major intersection before
        the border. This is in the area of the Bohemian Forest and was
        considered part of the Sudetenland, heavily populated by
        German-Austrians before WW II.

        You can expect to run across records in Czech and German languages. The
        LDS film library is your best first bet, though hopefully others can
        give you better instructions. Some of the Czechia has not been filmed.

        Check out this URL along with your own searches:

        http://ihff.nwy.at/b.htm

        Good luck & have fun!

        Ron
        PS: If you have some good beer drinkers in the family it is quite
        understandable. Ceske Budejovice is SE a bit and is the home of the
        original (and only good) Budweiser beer. Plzn is a bit NE and is where
        they invented Pilsener beer!

        Deb Blabolil wrote:

        > From: Deb Blabolil <dlb14@...>
        >
        > Hi-
        >
        > Does anyone know how to obtain records from Austria Hungary back from the
        > late 1800's to early 1900's - I have several death certificates of family
        > members that say either Austria-Hungary or Bohemia for where they were born.
        > They were born or lived in Strakonice- anyone hear of it?
        >

        > Thanks
        >
        > Deb
        >
        > Deb Blabolil
        > dlb14@...
      • Karen Norton
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 16, 1999
          Dear Deb,
          I have used the records at the National Archives near me in Pittsfield, MA
          quite a bit. For most states, there is no index for the 1910 Census - don't
          know about NJ. The Archives has a web site (www.nara.gov). You can
          probably find out at their site or e-mail your question to them. Since you
          only have the year of arrival, you have to hope there is an index at the
          National Archives for the time period and port you are interested in. There
          is a huge gap, with no no indices, for about 30-40 years for NYC. I know, I
          have a grea-grandfather that came over in 1885 and have been going through
          about 12 rolls of microfilm, 1 by 1. Am only on film #4. From about 1903
          to present, the passenger lists are indexed for NYC. You should try to get
          a copy of the naturalization papers - they are also indexed at the National
          Archives for some courts. You can also try the courts in the areas where
          they lived. Karen Norton, Lee, MA

        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
            Hello Everyone

            After having successfully identified the city my grandmother was born in, I
            now need to come to a conclusion regarding my grandfather's place of birth.

            I have been looking at his marriage certificate daily for the past two weeks
            trying to decipher the letters of the town or village he was born in. I
            have come up with KOVIEC or KOVICE. Would anyone be able to help me with
            theis?

            Thanks!
            Kathi
            Cockeysville, MD
          • sunysa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
              Do you think it's possible that it might be Kosice?

              Paul Horvat

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2000
                Hi

                I thought it could be Kosice but comparing the letters with other words in
                the certificate it really doesn't seem so. But would Kosice already be
                called Kosice in 1907?

                Thank you!
                Kathi
              • Frank Kurchina
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
                  > Hello Everyone
                  >
                  > After having successfully identified the city my grandmother was
                  born in, I
                  > now need to come to a conclusion regarding my grandfather's place
                  of
                  birth.

                  > I have been looking at his marriage certificate daily for the past
                  two weeks
                  > trying to decipher the letters of the town or village he was born
                  in. I
                  > have come up with KOVIEC or KOVICE. Would anyone be able to help
                  me
                  with
                  > theis?

                  Kathi

                  Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
                  Kaschau (G),too.

                  If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
                  of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
                  Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
                  inverted over the letter s ?

                  Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
                  eastern Slovakia.
                  Yes ?

                  Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
                  Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
                  Slovakia.
                  Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

                  What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
                  Were they married pre-emigration ?
                  What was surname religion ?
                • kathiraisa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
                    In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time, frankur@...
                    writes:

                    << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H)
                    Kaschau (G),too.

                    If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
                    of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
                    Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
                    inverted over the letter s ?

                    Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located in
                    eastern Slovakia.
                    Yes ?

                    Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
                    Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from eastern
                    Slovakia.
                    Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.

                    What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
                    Were they married pre-emigration ?
                    What was surname religion ?

                    Hi Frank:

                    My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that they met
                    here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from what I have
                    figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
                    Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy Petrik,
                    which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
                    I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa Hamor.
                    The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa. Then the
                    marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an error,
                    maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
                    They were both roman Catholics.

                    Thanks for your help!
                    Kathi
                  • Frank Kurchina
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
                      > In a message dated 10/13/00 8:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      frankur@a...
                      > writes:
                      >
                      > << Lacking other evidence,would tend to go with Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa
                      (H)
                      > Kaschau (G),too.
                      >
                      > If your are relatively sure Ko ?ice (6 or 7 letters) only one
                      > of 8200 towns in Slovakia seems probable.
                      > Your letter v may be the Slovak diacritic s^ where the caret is
                      > inverted over the letter s ?
                      >
                      > Your GM was born in Lipany (Sv) Héthárs (H) which is located
                      in
                      > eastern Slovakia.
                      > Yes ?
                      >
                      > Your GF should have been from the same general area as GM.
                      > Don't think one was from western Slovakia and the other from
                      eastern
                      > Slovakia.
                      > Kos^ice < 33 miles > Lipany.
                      >
                      > What was GF's surname and GM's maiden name ?
                      > Were they married pre-emigration ?
                      > What was surname religion ?
                      > >>
                      > Hi Frank:
                      >
                      > My grandparents married in NYC in 1907. I have always assumed that
                      they met
                      > here in the US,as GF arrived in 1899 at the age of 17, and from
                      what
                      I have
                      > figured out GM arrive around 1894 at the age of 12.
                      > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
                      Petrik,
                      > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).
                      > I have an old form filled out by GF which states he was from Kassa
                      Hamor.
                      > The ship manifest says his "last place of residence" was Kassa.
                      Then the
                      > marriage certificate has that other name; of course it could be an
                      error,
                      > maybe the clerk couldn't understand the foreign name, who knows.
                      > They were both roman Catholics.
                      >
                      > Thanks for your help!
                      > Kathi

                      Very good Kathi !

                      That helped to localize the place names.
                      You have three different documents and place names in Hungarian and
                      Slovak languages.

                      Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) district with county seat located at Myslava,
                      Slovakia.
                      Formerly located in Hungarian Abaúj-Torna Megye (county)
                      NW of Kassa Béla (H) Kos^ická Belá (Sv)
                      Next to K. Folkmar (H) Vel'ky' Folkmar (Sv) is Kassa Hámor (H)
                      now Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)

                      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1750-1896) for Kassa
                      Hámor (H) Kos^ické Hámre (Sv)
                      Listed under Kos^ická Belá.
                      film #
                      1978934
                      1978935
                      1978936

                      So your GF was György (H) Juraj (Sv) Gregorius (L) George (E)

                      Good luck !
                    • Frank Kurchina
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 13, 2000
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:

                        > Hi Frank:

                        > Her name was Zofie Miko, which became Sofie and his name was Gyorgy
                        Petrik,
                        > which became George Petrick (the "c" was added many years later).

                        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 14 surname Miko and the
                        feminine version Miková of the surname under Lipany, Slovakia.

                        Directory also lists 24 surname Miko/Miková under Kos^ice.

                        The directory lists 88 surname Petrík/Petríková
                        under Kos^ice.
                      • kathiraisa@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 15, 2000
                          Frank