Re: [S-R] What country?

  • N. L. Hagen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2002
      Most folk at that time that wrote down the census and for many other
      records, just wrote what they heard and that is how they did their spelling.
      I have a grandmother whose name was Jean and she was put as "Gene" on a
      birth certificate and had a granddaughter named after her with that
      spelling-My grandmother was highly educated for a woman of her time and that
      is not how she spelled her name. Things were different then. Takes some
      imagination sometimes to put all the pieces together!
      Peace & Joy,
      Nancy
      Don't be discouraged, Moses was a basket case at one time.

      > It has been my experience that most census takers could not spell.
      Elizabeth

    • Kayne Jason

        > It has been my experience that most census takers could not spell.
        Elizabeth

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT