Re: [S-R] How do I find out where Paloncza, Hungary was in 1910?

  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2002
      Thanks very much. I had been to this site before, but overlooked the ability to open an enlarged version of the manifest. Also, I didn't realize that could be more than one page and one might have to go back and forth.
      "John M." wrote:At 06:58 PM 8/5/02 -0700, you wrote:

      >John,
      >Thank you so much for the information that you have given me. I'm not
      >quite sure how you found the extra information, e.g., my grandmother's
      >father's name Andras. Was it on the web sites that you cited below?

      It is in the Ellis Island Database:

      http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477643670080659424&FNM=Z&LNM=LINCSA&PLNM=LINCSA&RF=2&pID=101503120202&lookup=101503120202&show=G%3A%5CT715%2D1184%5CT715%2D11840403%2ETIF&origFN=G%3A%5CT715%2D1184%5CT715%2D11840402%2ETIF

      There are two pages to this manifest entry.

      >How do you find out who the male escort was who "picked up" the single
      >woman from Ellis Island?
      >Thanks again, Susan

      I'm not certain but it may be at the end of the ship's manifest. I think
      this information is entered there if she was detained until someone arrived
      to meet her. I didn't see any notes to indicate that she was detained.

      Maura wrote: "Fascinating stories on those manifests, particularly after
      1892 when at the end of each manifest they state who was detained, why and
      what happened to them (usually sent back)."

      John

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT