Re: [S-R] WHAT COUNTRY?

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
      At 01:36 PM 8/7/02 -0700, you wrote:
      >Can someone tell me what country speaks SLAVISH? It is listed as TOUNGE
      >in the census. Thanks

      Slovakia is a likely candidate:

      "I imagine Slavish turns most people off. It has been somewhat archaic the
      last 50 years. I recall hearing it used by people from the turn of the
      century. Most of them are now long dead. I have read the local newspaper
      from 1900 up until the 1960's. The term Slavish was used most of the time
      up until the late 1930's. Slavonic was occasionally used up until 1919. The
      references were all to Slovaks.

      Ed Surkosky --- etsmred@..."
    • billsetnor
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
        Kayne,

        Slavish isn't a national language, as such.
        It was a term used by some Slovak/Hungarian/Slavic
        immigrants to describe the dialect that was spoken
        in the old homeland.

        Due to cross-cultural influences and geography,
        "pure" Slavic languages were subject to change.
        For example, in the Carpathians, you could find
        people speaking different dialects from one
        mountain area to the other. Most of the time,
        strangers from different areas could understand
        each other. But, with certain words or phrases,
        there could be problems.

        Hope this helps.

        Bill Setnor
        San Jose, California