WHAT COUNTRY?

  • Kayne Jason
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
      Can someone tell me what country speaks SLAVISH? It is listed as TOUNGE in the census. Thanks

    • John M.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
        At 01:36 PM 8/7/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >Can someone tell me what country speaks SLAVISH? It is listed as TOUNGE
        >in the census. Thanks

        Slovakia is a likely candidate:

        "I imagine Slavish turns most people off. It has been somewhat archaic the
        last 50 years. I recall hearing it used by people from the turn of the
        century. Most of them are now long dead. I have read the local newspaper
        from 1900 up until the 1960's. The term Slavish was used most of the time
        up until the late 1930's. Slavonic was occasionally used up until 1919. The
        references were all to Slovaks.

        Ed Surkosky --- etsmred@..."
      • billsetnor
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
          Kayne,

          Slavish isn't a national language, as such.
          It was a term used by some Slovak/Hungarian/Slavic
          immigrants to describe the dialect that was spoken
          in the old homeland.

          Due to cross-cultural influences and geography,
          "pure" Slavic languages were subject to change.
          For example, in the Carpathians, you could find
          people speaking different dialects from one
          mountain area to the other. Most of the time,
          strangers from different areas could understand
          each other. But, with certain words or phrases,
          there could be problems.

          Hope this helps.

          Bill Setnor
          San Jose, California