about info from Czech Archives

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2002
      I noticed something important while I was going through my info from my
      previous requests/reports from the Czech Archives on my Silhavy
      line..... and wondered if this had happened to anyone else.... and if
      not, I hope it helps someone (because I have no idea why this didn't
      occur to me before ).

      When you write to the Archives for info, the report you get back can
      either be in Czech (like my first report) or with English translation
      (as with my 2nd and 3rd reports, and I got the maps for $3 too that they
      offer).... and then the 4th time I finally asked for copies of the
      pages.

      They are from 1790-1818 period, and are in very fancy handwriting and
      difficult to read (nothing looks like any letters, more like old German
      script... which I guess makes sense for that area), and to be honest
      since I had the report in English I didn't give them more than a cursory
      glance. **Didn't bother to look at the columns for sponsors**, which is
      NOT included in the translation.

      So.... guess what I found when I finally looked?
      More Silhavy's that I have no info on listed as sponsors for both the
      marriage and 3 of the 4 children.... a Ludwig Silhavy for the children
      and an Antonius Silhavy for the marriage.
      I had asked the archives to look for siblings as the family story was
      there were 7 brothers,.... they did not list any, or tell me they looked
      actually. So now, I have more names to ask them to look into... as I'd
      bet these are brothers, or at least cousins.

      I never noticed that the translations didn't include sponsors, tho I use
      films from the Slovak Republic all the time and am always careful to
      note sponsors (which has given me so many clues to more family)... I
      cannot believe I actually never thought on those English typed reports
      "who were the sponsors"?

      So for the future I know what to -specifically- ask for....... anyone
      else had this happen?

      And I"m wondering if I should write back to those archives of the first
      3 reports with copies and ask for info on sponsors? I'm sure since the
      pages are listed it wouldn't be hard for them, and I'd pay for it (that
      would be required I'm sure).... maybe it would give me more names to
      investigate?

      Boy, do I wish those Czech records were filmed, there is no substitute
      for doing the research yourself, you can just find so many things that a
      paid researcher will not do. From what I hear from SLC tho, it doesn't
      look like that will happen.

      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching