Re: [S-R] How do I find out where Paloncza, Hungary was in 1910?

  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
      John,
      Thank you so much for the information that you have given me. I'm not quite sure how you found the extra information, e.g., my grandmother's father's name Andras. Was it on the web sites that you cited below?
      My grandmother Zuzanna Lincsa was brought up Lutheran, according to what she told us. She married someone (maybe the name Sekelsky) who died of typhoid or diphtheria. Her marriage to my grandfather, Stefan Pruzinsky, was her 2nd marriage.
      As you mention two girls having the same name, I suspect that of my grandmother's sister, Anna Lincsa, who is listed as having entered Ellis Island twice in two years, 1900 & 1902, but being 16 years old in each case. That is the sister she visited in Johnsonburg, for I know that is where she settled and married Vincent Parana.
      How do you find out who the male escort was who "picked up" the single woman from Ellis Island?
      Thanks again, Susan

      "John M." wrote:At 12:55 AM 8/5/02 +0000, you wrote:

      >I did a cursory search of the Ellis Island records online and found
      >that a person who could be my grandmother, Zusannna, or Zuzanna,
      >Lincsa, entered Ellis Island twice; in 1909 & 1910.
      >
      > Her residence is listed as Paloncza, Hungary, both times. Her
      >sister, Anna Lincsa, is listed to have come from Plavnica,(Slovakia
      >is not mentioned),

      Plavnica, in what is northeast Slovakia now, was known as Palonca from
      1907-1913. Slovakia did not exist until after WWI. Prior to that, the
      area was known as Upper Hungary and was part of Hungary for about 800 years.

      >as did Zusanna's future second husband, Stefan Pruzinsky. I always assumed
      >that my grandmother was also from Plavnica. However, she used to tell us
      >that she had attended school in Budapest, so she may have not stayed in
      >Plavnica.

      Budapest is quite some distance from Plavnica (about 120 air miles). The
      manifest shows that her contact in Hungary was her father Andras who lived
      in Paloncza, Saros (county) Hungary. If her family, lived in Budapest for a
      time she might have attended school there. Otherwise, it might have been
      more likely she attended a school in Plavnica where students were required
      to be taught in Hungarian in an effort to Magyarize the population. Was
      the family Roman or Greek Catholic? My B-I-L's father is from Plavnica.

      Also, if my grandmother is listed as coming through Ellis Island twice in a
      year's time, could she have been sent back the first time?

      The 1909 Zuzana is shown going to her brother-in-law's in Johnsonburg(?),
      Pa. There doesn't appear to be any indication of deportation. The 1910
      Zuzana's original manifest is missing and would require a search
      using http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html to find the
      manifest for the SS President Grant to ascertain that the two Zuzana Lincsa
      are the same. The EIDB lists it arriving 4/21/1910 but the Cimoreli site
      http://www.cimorelli.com/ shows it arriving on 4/20/1910. I know that in
      the case of one of my grandmothers, another child with the same name was
      born in the same week of December but to two different father's with the
      same surname.

      John

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2002
        Thanks very much. I had been to this site before, but overlooked the ability to open an enlarged version of the manifest. Also, I didn't realize that could be more than one page and one might have to go back and forth.
        "John M." wrote:At 06:58 PM 8/5/02 -0700, you wrote:

        >John,
        >Thank you so much for the information that you have given me. I'm not
        >quite sure how you found the extra information, e.g., my grandmother's
        >father's name Andras. Was it on the web sites that you cited below?

        It is in the Ellis Island Database:

        http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477643670080659424&FNM=Z&LNM=LINCSA&PLNM=LINCSA&RF=2&pID=101503120202&lookup=101503120202&show=G%3A%5CT715%2D1184%5CT715%2D11840403%2ETIF&origFN=G%3A%5CT715%2D1184%5CT715%2D11840402%2ETIF

        There are two pages to this manifest entry.

        >How do you find out who the male escort was who "picked up" the single
        >woman from Ellis Island?
        >Thanks again, Susan

        I'm not certain but it may be at the end of the ship's manifest. I think
        this information is entered there if she was detained until someone arrived
        to meet her. I didn't see any notes to indicate that she was detained.

        Maura wrote: "Fascinating stories on those manifests, particularly after
        1892 when at the end of each manifest they state who was detained, why and
        what happened to them (usually sent back)."

        John

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • John M.
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2002