Re: How do I find out where Paloncza, Hungary was in 1910?[S-R] Digest Number 94

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2002
      At 05:51 AM 8/5/02 -0400, you wrote:
      >Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 00:55:29 -0000
      >Susan,
      >
      >You wrote: "Her residence is listed as Paloncza, Hungary"
      >
      >Paloncza is Plavec not Plavnica.

      Plavec was known as Palocsa from 1863 to 1913 and not Paloncza. My name
      Maczko (Hungarian is spelled Macko in Slovak so the "cz" (pronounced "ts")
      in Paloncza could be written as "c" or Palonca in Slovak, which was the
      name of Plavnica from 1907-1913 the period in question. As a result, I'd
      say the manifest refers to Plavnica and not Plavec.

      John