Re: How do I find out where Paloncza, Hungary was in 1910?

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "barclaypenn" <barclaypenn@y...> wrote:

      > I did a cursory search of the Ellis Island records online and found
      > that a person who could be my grandmother, Zusannna, or Zuzanna,
      > Lincsa, entered Ellis Island twice; in 1909 & 1910.
      >
      > Her residence is listed as Paloncza, Hungary, both times. Her
      > sister, Anna Lincsa, is listed to have come from Plavnica,(Slovakia
      > is not mentioned), as did Zusanna's future second husband, Stefan
      > Pruzinsky. I always assumed that my grandmother was also from
      > Plavnica. However, she used to tell us that she had attended school
      > in Budapest, so she may have not stayed in Plavnica.
      >
      > Paloncza does not appear on any of the modern maps I have of
      Slovakia
      > or Hungary. How could I locate this town?
      >
      > Also, if my grandmother is listed as coming through Ellis Island
      > twice in a year's time, could she have been sent back the first
      time?

      > Susan Friedhaber-Hard

      Plavec^ (Sk) was called Palocsa (H)
      Plavnica (Sk) was called Palonca/Paloncza (H)

      LDS-Mormons filmed :

      R.C. parish church records (1686-1924) for Plavnica.

      G.C. parish church records (1822-1903) for Plavnica are listed under
      S^ambron.

      Lutheran parish church records (1702-1895) for Plavnica are listed
      under Sabinov.
    • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
        John,
        Thank you so much for the information that you have given me. I'm not quite sure how you found the extra information, e.g., my grandmother's father's name Andras. Was it on the web sites that you cited below?
        My grandmother Zuzanna Lincsa was brought up Lutheran, according to what she told us. She married someone (maybe the name Sekelsky) who died of typhoid or diphtheria. Her marriage to my grandfather, Stefan Pruzinsky, was her 2nd marriage.
        As you mention two girls having the same name, I suspect that of my grandmother's sister, Anna Lincsa, who is listed as having entered Ellis Island twice in two years, 1900 & 1902, but being 16 years old in each case. That is the sister she visited in Johnsonburg, for I know that is where she settled and married Vincent Parana.
        How do you find out who the male escort was who "picked up" the single woman from Ellis Island?
        Thanks again, Susan

        "John M." wrote:At 12:55 AM 8/5/02 +0000, you wrote:

        >I did a cursory search of the Ellis Island records online and found
        >that a person who could be my grandmother, Zusannna, or Zuzanna,
        >Lincsa, entered Ellis Island twice; in 1909 & 1910.
        >
        > Her residence is listed as Paloncza, Hungary, both times. Her
        >sister, Anna Lincsa, is listed to have come from Plavnica,(Slovakia
        >is not mentioned),

        Plavnica, in what is northeast Slovakia now, was known as Palonca from
        1907-1913. Slovakia did not exist until after WWI. Prior to that, the
        area was known as Upper Hungary and was part of Hungary for about 800 years.

        >as did Zusanna's future second husband, Stefan Pruzinsky. I always assumed
        >that my grandmother was also from Plavnica. However, she used to tell us
        >that she had attended school in Budapest, so she may have not stayed in
        >Plavnica.

        Budapest is quite some distance from Plavnica (about 120 air miles). The
        manifest shows that her contact in Hungary was her father Andras who lived
        in Paloncza, Saros (county) Hungary. If her family, lived in Budapest for a
        time she might have attended school there. Otherwise, it might have been
        more likely she attended a school in Plavnica where students were required
        to be taught in Hungarian in an effort to Magyarize the population. Was
        the family Roman or Greek Catholic? My B-I-L's father is from Plavnica.

        Also, if my grandmother is listed as coming through Ellis Island twice in a
        year's time, could she have been sent back the first time?

        The 1909 Zuzana is shown going to her brother-in-law's in Johnsonburg(?),
        Pa. There doesn't appear to be any indication of deportation. The 1910
        Zuzana's original manifest is missing and would require a search
        using http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html to find the
        manifest for the SS President Grant to ascertain that the two Zuzana Lincsa
        are the same. The EIDB lists it arriving 4/21/1910 but the Cimoreli site
        http://www.cimorelli.com/ shows it arriving on 4/20/1910. I know that in
        the case of one of my grandmothers, another child with the same name was
        born in the same week of December but to two different father's with the
        same surname.

        John

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2002
          Thanks very much. I had been to this site before, but overlooked the ability to open an enlarged version of the manifest. Also, I didn't realize that could be more than one page and one might have to go back and forth.
          "John M." wrote:At 06:58 PM 8/5/02 -0700, you wrote:

          >John,
          >Thank you so much for the information that you have given me. I'm not
          >quite sure how you found the extra information, e.g., my grandmother's
          >father's name Andras. Was it on the web sites that you cited below?

          It is in the Ellis Island Database:

          http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477643670080659424&FNM=Z&LNM=LINCSA&PLNM=LINCSA&RF=2&pID=101503120202&lookup=101503120202&show=G%3A%5CT715%2D1184%5CT715%2D11840403%2ETIF&origFN=G%3A%5CT715%2D1184%5CT715%2D11840402%2ETIF

          There are two pages to this manifest entry.

          >How do you find out who the male escort was who "picked up" the single
          >woman from Ellis Island?
          >Thanks again, Susan

          I'm not certain but it may be at the end of the ship's manifest. I think
          this information is entered there if she was detained until someone arrived
          to meet her. I didn't see any notes to indicate that she was detained.

          Maura wrote: "Fascinating stories on those manifests, particularly after
          1892 when at the end of each manifest they state who was detained, why and
          what happened to them (usually sent back)."

          John

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • John M.
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2002