Re: Advice About Getting Church Records

  • ELEANOR M. HENRY
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 1999
      Diane!

      I'm glad you asked advice about convincing reluctant church officials to share
      information with you. Are there any other success stories about getting
      records unlocked, dusted off and shared?

      Here's how I approached the priest to get information from the books they
      called their "sacramental records", which sounds like what they have. Remember
      to be nice - they have something that you want.

      I called the archdiocese of Philadelphia (got their number from the web) and
      asked the person who answered the phone at the main switchboard where the
      records of St. John Nepomucene church in Philadelphia - long closed - were
      kept. After several transfers - I ALWAYS said I was calling long distance
      - someone informed me that the records had been transferred to St. Agnes
      parish.

      I called long distance from Baltimore to Philadelphia to St. Agnes and asked
      to speak with the PRIEST - not the housekeeper. (My experience is that
      priests are often more sympathetic to these causes.) He wasn't home, so I
      found out when he was expected back. I called HIM back when he was available.
      I found I was more likely to get help if I did the calling, and I strongly
      advise you not to tell your story to anyone but the priest.

      I explained to the priest that I was looking for information on my deceased
      Great Grandfather who was a founding member of the parish. I explained that I
      would be willing to make a $$donation$$ to their parish fund if I could see
      their "sacramental records", and asked if I could made an appointment to see
      him. He said yes, and I was on my way. (OK, OK: call it a bribe!!!)

      I kept my appointment, and was rewarded by seeing complete records in Latin of
      the marriages of my grandfather HENDRICHOVSKY and grandmother HUDAK, which
      included information on where both sets of parents were born and their
      mothers' maiden names. I saw baptismal records from the ZOLOVCIC side of my
      family, too: my grandmother (now 93) and all her brothers and sister, complete
      with the names of their godparents. It gives me goosebumps just to remember
      it. I did indeed give a donation to the priest for spending 2 hours with me.
      And it was well worth it. Of course, that set up a whole new set of
      investigations.

      And along the way I got a lot of information about the history of the parish
      and the area. He even drove me back to the train station.

      Best wishes,
      Ele
      Eleanor M. Henry, PhD .....................ehenry@...
      Institutional and Public Policy
      Specializing in Health Issues
      .............................. 410-243-8003 (voice)
      .............................. 410-243-1453 (fax)

    • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 1999
        Hello!

        I agree there are sympathetic priests out there.

        We never knew the name of the village my father's parents came from in
        Slovakia. We did know that my grandmother had a brother and a sister
        living in Monesson, Pa. south of Pittsburgh and we knew the names of her
        daughter and son-in-law.

        I called the Greek Catholic church in Monesson, explained to the priest
        that I was researching my family roots and who I was looking for. At
        that point, he told me they had been in church that morning for Liturgy
        and gave me their home phone number.

        The Lord works in mysterious ways!

        Hope to see everyone at the Slovak Festival in Baltimore!

        Mark

        "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
      • MickTully@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 1999
          When is the Slovak festival in Baltimore?