Re: [S-R] How do I find out where Paloncza, Hungary was in 1910?

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
      Dear Susan,
      Paloncza is Plavnica. It is the Hugarian spelling.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
        "John M." wrote:

        > At 12:55 AM 8/5/02 +0000, you wrote:
        >
        > >I did a cursory search of the Ellis Island records online and found
        > >that a person who could be my grandmother, Zusannna, or Zuzanna,
        > >Lincsa, entered Ellis Island twice; in 1909 & 1910.
        > >
        > > Her residence is listed as Paloncza, Hungary, both times. Her
        > >sister, Anna Lincsa, is listed to have come from Plavnica,(Slovakia
        > >is not mentioned),
        >
        > Plavnica, in what is northeast Slovakia now, was known as Palonca from
        > 1907-1913. Slovakia did not exist until after WWI. Prior to that, the
        > area was known as Upper Hungary and was part of Hungary for about 800 years.

        Plavnica ia 6 km southeast of Stara' L'ubovn^a, 36 km west of Bardejov, and 10
        km south of the Polish border.

        > >as did Zusanna's future second husband, Stefan Pruzinsky. I always assumed
        > >that my grandmother was also from Plavnica. However, she used to tell us
        > >that she had attended school in Budapest, so she may have not stayed in
        > >Plavnica.
        >
        > Budapest is quite some distance from Plavnica (about 120 air miles). The
        > manifest shows that her contact in Hungary was her father Andras who lived
        > in Paloncza, Saros (county) Hungary. If her family, lived in Budapest for a
        > time she might have attended school there. Otherwise, it might have been
        > more likely she attended a school in Plavnica where students were required
        > to be taught in Hungarian in an effort to Magyarize the population. Was
        > the family Roman or Greek Catholic? My B-I-L's father is from Plavnica.
        >
        > Also, if my grandmother is listed as coming through Ellis Island twice in a
        > year's time, could she have been sent back the first time?
        >
        > The 1909 Zuzana is shown going to her brother-in-law's in Johnsonburg(?),
        > Pa. There doesn't appear to be any indication of deportation. The 1910
        > Zuzana's original manifest is missing and would require a search
        > using http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html to find the
        > manifest for the SS President Grant to ascertain that the two Zuzana Lincsa
        > are the same. The EIDB lists it arriving 4/21/1910 but the Cimoreli site
        > http://www.cimorelli.com/ shows it arriving on 4/20/1910. I know that in
        > the case of one of my grandmothers, another child with the same name was
        > born in the same week of December but to two different father's with the
        > same surname.

        "Cute" - no??

        The same thing happened with my family, the brothers Matthew (1) and Michael (2)
        Karkniak both had daughters born in January 1790 and both named them Susanna - -
        - (1) 23 Jan 1790 and (2) 14 Jan 1790. One of the "Susanna" children died 18
        October 1792, the other is a grandparent but which one, I cannot determine.

        > John

        Dr. "Q"