Re: [S-R] Slovak Selkas

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "djdarrin" <dbartlett@m...> wrote:
      > THanks, Tim. But the mystery on my end is the extreme difference in
      > time between when Joszef came over (1910) and the markings (1939).
      > It would be strange if he waited 19 years to be naturalized, since I
      > know his brother was in WWI as a U.S. citizen in 1917.

      Some emigrants never became American citizens even after 20 years residence.

      WW I began in August 1914.
      The U.S. didn't declare war until April 1917.
      There was an Alien Registration Act.
      As a result some emigrants hurried to become citizens.

      WW II began in September 1939.
      The U.S. entered the war in December 1941.
      However, many emigrants rushed to become American citizens
      1939-1941 even after 40+ years residence in the U.S.

      Some ship manifests list emigrants who were already U.S. citizens separately from those that were entering the country for the first time.
      The number, place, and date of their naturalization were listed at top of or at right side of surname on the ship manifest.

      http://www.cimorelli.com/pie/faq/emigfaqi.htm