Re: Plavec records for Kanyuch[S-R] Digest Number 940

  • CPRAMUKA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      In a message dated 8/1/02 1:27:07 AM, SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I have been researching my family in Plavec and I found my great

      great grandfathers birth in 1821. I have noticed that after his

      fathers surname of Kanyuch it has alias and another name. I see this

      for a few other Kanyuch's also.>>

      Joeanna,

      I too have noticed the double names. I haven't found in my case any reason,
      but usually it has something to do with identifing one line of a surname from
      another. Sometimes it's a descriptive term or a maiden name somewhere in the
      line. Also be careful because sometimes the records drop one or the other
      surname, but it's still the same couple.

      Dee Taylor
      CPRAMUKA@...
    • Frank R. Plichta
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        I have found multiple surnames and when I asked my relatives in Slovakia
        they explained it this way:

        1. When a young couple married, if the man came from another village and no
        one in the bride's village knew him, they might go by the bride's maiden
        name so that local towns folks could refer to them and tell the postman
        where to deliver the mail.
        2. If the newlywed couple, not known in the village, moved in with another
        family, then they might be referred to by the surname of the family that
        they moved in with. The postman then knew where to deliver their mail.
        3. If the bride married a second time due to the lost of her first husband,
        people in the village might still refer to her and her second husband by the
        name of the first husband since everyone knew about him.

        Hope this helps.

        Frank R. Plichta
        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
        "Ja hl'adanie na celom svete za PLICHTA."
        "Das die Welt fuer PLICHTA suchen."
        "Je cherche le monde pour la famille PLICHTA."
        "Buscando el mundo por los PLICHTA."
        "Quaerere summa reum familia PLICHTA."
        I would appreciate receiving ANY information, about ANY Plichta, from ANY
        place, at ANY time in history.