Plavec records for Kanyuch

  • lacer55
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi,
      I have been researching my family in Plavec and I found my great
      great grandfathers birth in 1821. I have noticed that after his
      fathers surname of Kanyuch it has alias and another name. I see this
      for a few other Kanyuch's also. Can anyone give me any hints as to
      what this implies? Thanks
      Joeanna
      Joeanna@...
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 6:15 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "lacer55" <Joeanna@l...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I have been researching my family in Plavec and I found my great
        > great grandfathers birth in 1821. I have noticed that after his
        > fathers surname of Kanyuch it has alias and another name. I see
        this
        > for a few other Kanyuch's also. Can anyone give me any hints as to
        > what this implies? Thanks
        > Joeanna
        > Joeanna@l...

        In villages throughout Europe, where there were several or more
        surname bearers with the same first names, a system of binames or
        aliases evolved.
        Today, in much the same way a married woman might hyphenate her
        marrried and maiden names (Married-Maiden)

        Usually a nickname, or alias was given the second surname bearer to
        distinguish him from the first surname bearer.
        The name left of hyphen was the original surname and one to right
        was the alias.

        Over time some binames became branch surnames.
        Sometimes the names were reversed with the names exchanged from one
        side to the other.
        And sometimes the surname bearers were not related.
        Some such names were recycled over following generations in a
        village.
        In addition, some surname bearers used one surname when resident in
        their village of origin and another surname when traveling away from
        village.
        Very confusing.

        Binames (nicknames), or surnames were rare throughout Europe
        (800-1250 A.D.), and most names recorded during this period bear only
        a given name.
        The few individuals recorded with a biname bear a patronymic, formed
        from the father's first name.
        Between 1250-1526 Christian and saint's names became the standard.
        Binames or surnames included patronymics, but also the city of
        origin or residence.
        - those derived from the Christian name or profession of the father
        (patronymics)

        Why the 1526 cutoff ?
        This is the year that Croatia and Hungary fell to the Turks at the
        Battle of Mohacs, Hungary.
        The Hungarians ruled Slovakia for nearly a thousand years
        (906 A.D.-1918 A.D)

        Maly' Sulín (Slovak) Szulin (H) was established in 1600. It was
        part of the property of his lordship Plavec^ * and his own Croatian nobilit=
        y, who had established the neighboring village of Vel'ké Sulín (Sk) at the e=
        nd of the 16th century.

        Towns of Plavnica and Plavec^ were also part of the property of the
        Croatian nobility.
        * Plavnica, Plavec^ and nearby Plavec^ castle (Plavec^sky' hrad)

        The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
        of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

        The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1743-1895) for
        Plavec^ nad Popradom (Sabinov), Slovakia; formerly Palocsa (H),
        Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
        Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak.

        film #
        1793212-1793215

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
        Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
        Sobás^ení = Marriages
        Zomrelí = Deaths

        In Hungarian the matriky are titled
        anyakönyvek.
        Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

        In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
        Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
        Matricula Copulatorum = MarriageRecords
        Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

        The surnames Kanuk, Kanyik, and Kanuch also appear in Slovakia.