MATAY, MECHRINA, MICHRINA, MARSHEMKO, EURAKO, YURECHKO

  • dukebb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2002
      Hello All. I am relatively new to genealogy - and of course, my ancestors
      aren't making this easy. I am searching for the following surnames: MATAY,
      MECHRINA, MICHRINA, MARSHEMKO, EURAKO, YURECHKO. I had started this
      previously and ran into a number of brick walls. This has now taken on a
      much greater importance. I have an aunt that has just been diagnosed with
      cancer and I really want to be able to give her a scrapbook - to include
      whatever family history that I can. Anyway, my paternal grandparents were
      STEPHEN MATAY ( May 3, 1893 - May 25,1966) and ANNA MECHRINA MATAY ( December
      24, 1899 - July 4, 1937). For most of their time in the US they resided in
      Throop, PA. I have been told that they also lived in Barnesboro,PA or
      Spangler, PA (where apparently 2 of their children were born). I have no
      idea when they came over, if they came over together, etc. I was extremely
      lucky and found the my grandfathers sister, SUSAN MATAY SMERCAK resided in
      Sleepy Hollow, NY (North Tarrytown, NY), but unfortunately she died in 1939
      and her two daughters, ANNA SMERCAK BENUSCAK (1911-1977) and MARY SMERCAK
      BUCCI (1914-1995) have since passed away, so they are dead ends for me also.
      I have some other limited information if anyone thinks that will help. Any
      leads, suggestions etc would be GREATLY appreciated. I am very interested in
      my ancestors culture and have even done some preliminary research on taking a
      trip there next summer but want to make the trip worthwhile and woule like to
      know where they are from.

      Thank you,
      Debra Matay dukebb@...