New Member Introduction

  • John Krny
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 1999
      Hello Maura & listers...

      I am new to the list and looking forward learning more
      about Slovak genealogy searching from everyone. I am
      researching my ancesters in Slovakia.

      Surnames: KRNY from Vysoka nad Kysuce
      DRABIK from Velke Rovne
      PAZURIK from Makov
      GAZAK from Vysoka nad Kysuce
      LUCAN from Vysoka nad Kysuce

      All from Trencin county.

      I'm still relatively new at this..so all assistance from
      you seasoned researchers is appreciated. :-)

      I have read your posts tonight (just joined yesterday) and
      have enjoyed all the professionalism and helpful info and
      links.

      John Krny
      krny@...

      Get Visto! Groups, event calendars, email, and more...
      Check it out @ http://www.visto.com/info
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 1999
        Hi John,

        I've been going through the LDS microfilms for Makov, as my paternal
        grandfather's family is from there; grandma's family seems to be from down
        the road; and some of my relatives were in Vysoka. After spending many
        many hours reading these old church records (they begin in 1796), I'm
        convinced I'm related to most people in the area--they're all intermarried.
        Going through the old church records is amazing; I'd be skimming deaths
        and realize that at the end of a winter one year, village children were
        dropping like flies; a distant relative remembers her mother telling about
        it (her mother had two siblings die that month). Stuff like that.

        LDS microfilm numbers for Makov are 2003291 (first item on this roll is
        from another town, then it picks up Makov) and 2003292 (entire roll). If
        you do a location search on the LDS website for Vysoka, type in Vysoka nad
        Kysuce, if you just type in Vysoka you get another town.

        Some of my relatives married Krnys; but like I said, everyone seems to be
        related to everyone else. Likewise Lucan; I don't recognize Pazurik, are
        you sure you don't mean Pisarik/Piszarik (there are all sorts of variations
        in the records)? Half the area is surnamed Piszarik...!

        I wish there were an English history of Makov and area!

        Oh, as near as I can tell, for quite some time the folks in Vysoka used the
        parish in Makov; so for years not covered in Vysoka's own records
        (microfilm), check Makov. The Makov records include people from quite a
        number of villages (I assume they're villages!).

        I'm researching MICHUTKA, PAVLIK ( the other half of the town!), KUBATSKA,
        MORAVTSIK, KALICSAK; also GRECNAR and DOULAJ, which may be from Cadca. And
        of course, variations on the above! (The -cs- appears to be the Hungarian
        way of spelling our -ch-; my family name often appears in the records as
        Micsutka.)

        I only got hold of the Makov microfilms a month ago; we had so little
        information on my dad's family; I nearly wept when I started finding
        relatives. I've pushed grandpa's ancestry back 4 generations, to the
        earliest years of the records. It's pretty exciting! Unfortunately, our
        local LDS family history center closes for the summer; wish I could just
        purchase these two microfilms for myself, and read them at my convenience
        at my public library on the microfilm viewer there.

        Holler if I can help with anything else; I used to be a Latin teacher, so
        if you get digging in the records and find a note in Latin, I can probably
        help you.

        Good luck; feel free to let me know how it goes! One of these days I'll
        get to Makov myself!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • pi325@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 13 6:51 AM
          hello john;
          just want to tell you I was doing a research of my f-tree and my
          relatives' in usa f-tree in state local archive in Bytca and I saw
          the name Drabik in the old registers of Velke Rovne. You could ask
          those women who work there to do a f-tree for you. easy search is for
          2$/hour and more difficult search is for 3$/hour.

          a note that you mistake if you say that all the names you have
          mentioned are from Trencin county. it's a bullshit. now and ever it
          was Bytca county. a note to spelling...the right spelling is Vysoka
          nad Kysucou.

          write to me and i will give you contact to Bytca archive where the
          women make f-trees. if you need a help with translation into slovak
          or from slovak, write to me.

          i wish you a lot of luckyness;
          marek.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John Krny" <krny@... wrote:
          > Hello Maura & listers...
          >
          > I am new to the list and looking forward learning more
          > about Slovak genealogy searching from everyone. I am
          > researching my ancesters in Slovakia.
          >
          > Surnames: KRNY from Vysoka nad Kysuce
          > DRABIK from Velke Rovne
          > PAZURIK from Makov
          > GAZAK from Vysoka nad Kysuce
          > LUCAN from Vysoka nad Kysuce
          >
          > All from Trencin county.
          >
          > I'm still relatively new at this..so all assistance from
          > you seasoned researchers is appreciated. :-)
          >
          > I have read your posts tonight (just joined yesterday) and
          > have enjoyed all the professionalism and helpful info and
          > links.
          >
          > John Krny
          > krny@b...

          > Get Visto! Groups, event calendars, email, and more...
          > Check it out @ http://www.visto.com/info
        • Rosemary Bodien
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2007
            Hi!

            My name is Rosie and I coordinate the Czech/Slovak Interest group of
            Western WAshington. This is our website.
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~wacsig/ My roots are Bohemian
            and Moravian, but have found my Moravian roots come from VERY CLOSE to
            the Slovak border.

            We have started a series of Austrian Military Records workshops and I
            needed help on finding Slovak military personal records
            (Grundbuchblatter) in the LDS microfilms AND helps of finding with
            German to Slovak/Hungariam tpwn name websites. One member did write
            that I should check your archives since you discussed this before. I
            send out a "Tidbits" of genealogy information to members
            occassionally and want to have Slovak "Tidbits" to send, also.

            Happy Researching,
            Rosie
          • Carl Kotlarchik
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2007
              Hello Rosie and welcome to the group. I'm assuming that you are
              interested in older military records and not those after the 1st
              World War.

              The A-H Military records for the Slovaks are not as available as
              those for the Czechs. The Czech archives have cataloged and indexed
              by surname the soldiers who were in the Austrian army from the Czech
              regions. The records for Slovak soldiers prior to 1867 are still
              held in the Austrian War Archives (the Kriegs Archiv in Vienna). The
              LDS has filmed these records and you can find them in their catalog
              under the keyword search "grundbuchblatter". You have to know the
              type of soldier (infantry, cavalry etc) and the regiment the
              individual was in to find his military records. The films are
              cataloged by regimental number and then by the "Heft" or book
              number. The Heft numbers are in order of year of service which is
              typically around 20 years after birth. Unfortunately, the LDS
              catalog does not do a good job of showing the service years on the
              individual films. I have also found many mislabeled films. I have
              written to them and they have made corrections but they have not
              changed their index system which still just references "Heft" numbers
              instead of years covered on the films. After 1867 (or 1869 in some
              cases), the records for Slovak soldiers were kept by Hungary and most
              of these have been lost. Hungary was suppose to repatriate Slovak
              records after the 1st World War but it does not seem like that was
              done.

              There are other types of military records in Vienna (and on LDS
              films) such as the records for officers. You can confirm a man's
              officer status by finding him in the index of officers in the Militar-
              Schematismus on film at the LDS. One book was published every year.

              A typical officer got his commission when he was about 17 so start
              with the book for the year your ancestor turned 17. If he is already
              a 2nd or 1st lieutenant, you should go backwards through the books
              another year or two to see if he is ever listed as a Fahnen or
              Cadet.. If he was ever a cadet, that means he got his officer
              training in the equivalent of an active duty officer candidate school
              rather than by attending a military academy.

              The LDS has filmed the officers' records. They are in the catalog
              under the title: Qalifikationslisten der Offiziere. There are
              other officer's records, too. You will find all of the relevant
              titles with a Keyword search of the LDS Internet catalog using the
              word: Offiziere.

              The Qualifikationslisten films are sorted by surname alphabetically.
              There is a rule that restricts viewing a film that has records on it
              that are less than 100 years old even if those records are not
              relevant to your research. So you may find out that the LDS film you
              need does not circulate to local Family History Centers and you would
              have to go to Salt Lake City (SLC) to view it or hire someone to view
              it for you.

              Another set of records available on LDS films are the "Musterlisten
              und Standestrabellen" these are muster rolls and formation tables
              for all soldiers and officers during the period of 1740-1820.

              Finally, there are military church records available that show
              marriages and baptism of children of soldiers.

              Everything I have indicated here is for the regiments of the common A-
              H army. These were designated "Imperial and Royal" - kaiserlich und
              königlich or k.u.k. After 1867, both Austria and Hungary kept
              additional & separate forces known as the Landwehr in Austria and the
              Honved in Hungary. The records for these forces, if they still
              exist, are kept by the respective country.

              There are various maps and charts available showing the military
              recruitment districts. These can help you determine the regiment of
              the soldier if that is not known.

              hope this helps,
              Carl

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Rosemary Bodien <rosie@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > My name is Rosie and I coordinate the Czech/Slovak Interest group
              of
              > Western WAshington. This is our website.
              > http://www.rootsweb.com/~wacsig/ My roots are
              Bohemian
              > and Moravian, but have found my Moravian roots come from VERY
              CLOSE to
              > the Slovak border.
              >
              > We have started a series of Austrian Military Records workshops
              and I
              > needed help on finding Slovak military personal records
              > (Grundbuchblatter) in the LDS microfilms AND helps of finding with
              > German to Slovak/Hungariam tpwn name websites. One member did
              write
              > that I should check your archives since you discussed this
              before. I
              > send out a "Tidbits" of genealogy information to members
              > occassionally and want to have Slovak "Tidbits" to send, also.
              >
              > Happy Researching,
              > Rosie

            • Carl Kotlarchik
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2007
                Rosie,
                It occured to me after my initial response that if you are new to the
                group, you may not be familiar with Bill Tarkulich's website. He has
                an excellent section on military records which I'm sure you will find
                helpful. You can find it at:
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military_records_in_upper_hungar.htm

                CK
              • christopher gajda
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007
                  My Grandfather, George Vasko (Juro, Jura, Jurai / Vaszko, Vasko) served as an officer (lieutenant) in the Austro-Hungarian army in WWI. He was born Sept 08, 1896, in the village of Dravci (Ungdarocz), Ung County near Uzhgorod. He left the Uzhgorod seminary to join the Army, but I don't know the year. I believe he was in the Cavalry.
                  If anyone is currently searching through the relevant LDS films, I would really, really, appreciate it if you could try to find any records about my Grandfather. I'm going through a long recovery from surgery, and can't get to an LDS center myself.
                  My grandfather also had a brother, Vincent, who also served in the A-H Army in WWI. He was captured and died in a POW camp in Italy. I don't know if he was an officer or enlisted man.
                  If no-one is currently searching among the appropriate records, any help or suggestions for what I can do later after recovery would be appreciated - thanks- Chris

                  wrote:

                  > Hi!
                  >
                  > My name is Rosie and I coordinate the Czech/Slovak Interest group
                  of
                  > Western WAshington. This is our website.
                  > http://www.rootsweb.com/~wacsig/ My roots are
                  Bohemian
                  > and Moravian, but have found my Moravian roots come from VERY
                  CLOSE to
                  > the Slovak border.
                  >
                  > We have started a series of Austrian Military Records workshops
                  and I
                  > needed help on finding Slovak military personal records
                  > (Grundbuchblatter) in the LDS microfilms AND helps of finding with
                  > German to Slovak/Hungariam tpwn name websites. One member did
                  write
                  > that I should check your archives since you discussed this
                  before. I
                  > send out a "Tidbits" of genealogy information to members
                  > occassionally and want to have Slovak "Tidbits" to send, also.
                  >
                  > Happy Researching,
                  > Rosie

                • Bardsapp
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                    I have just signed on and am beginning research for Pribula, although I'm
                    seeing spellings of Tusbula and Pudbuda. I remember my father pronouncing
                    something very close to the latter once and saying it translated along the
                    lines as "one with many children" so I'm buying that and I'm wondering if
                    the former is a difficulty of accents. What intrigues me, however, is that
                    this was reverted to in the 1930s in Pennsylvania, not on the shipping
                    records.

                    Right now I'm concentrating on Janos Pribula from Modor, Hungary born who
                    came to Chicago, Illinois at the age of 19, born March 9, 1889 as he
                    indicates at various times in either Austria-Hungary or Czech. I'm having
                    trouble reading his ship's papers to read his father's village of birth but
                    it appears to be different than the village he left. I'm having trouble
                    reading his father, Janos' birth place on the Ellis Island sheet. If anyone
                    can help me, it would help me find out where to search. I can give you
                    either the Ancestry.com link or the Ellis Island link.

                    When Janos arrived in New York, he was met by a sister who went by the name
                    of Suzanna. Can anyone suggest what this was an Americanization of in
                    Hungarian?

                    I was always told I was Czech but I see by the census that the census taker
                    in the early days put down Austria, then Hungary and then West Slovian or
                    Czechoslovakian. I'm assuming this is the changing political times. My
                    gfather was a minister in Slovak churches in Illinois and Pennsylvania.
                    However, my father was careful to say that he considered himself Czech and
                    of scholarly stock. I say this not to create separation but because I'm very
                    confused on where to look for the European ties. Or, does it matter?

                    I've read through some of the recently-posted messages and plan to start a
                    tree on www.rodokmen.com.

                    How do I find out where my local LDS history center is? What do I enter into
                    the Google search field?

                    Nice to meet you all.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                      Welcome,
                      It may be the same village, with different names. Villages sometimes had
                      as many as eight different names. For Slovakia, the most dramatic changes
                      were between Magyar and Slovak in 1920.

                      It does not surprise me that the name was changed after arrival. It was
                      often done by the immigrant himself to aid in pronunciation, assimilation
                      or other reasons. Changing names at ellis island is a myth, simple as
                      that.

                      I strongly encourage you to write to the Homeland Security/BCIS to get a
                      copy of his immigration file.

                      Bill

                      On Mon, May 24, 2010 4:17 pm, Bardsapp wrote:
                      > I have just signed on and am beginning research for Pribula, although I'm
                      > seeing spellings of Tusbula and Pudbuda. I remember my father pronouncing
                      > something very close to the latter once and saying it translated along the
                      > lines as "one with many children" so I'm buying that and I'm wondering if
                      > the former is a difficulty of accents. What intrigues me, however, is that
                      > this was reverted to in the 1930s in Pennsylvania, not on the shipping
                      > records.
                      >

                      > Right now I'm concentrating on Janos Pribula from Modor, Hungary born who
                      > came to Chicago, Illinois at the age of 19, born March 9, 1889 as he
                      > indicates at various times in either Austria-Hungary or Czech. I'm having
                      > trouble reading his ship's papers to read his father's village of birth
                      > but
                      > it appears to be different than the village he left. I'm having trouble
                      > reading his father, Janos' birth place on the Ellis Island sheet. If
                      > anyone
                      > can help me, it would help me find out where to search. I can give you
                      > either the Ancestry.com link or the Ellis Island link.
                      >

                      > When Janos arrived in New York, he was met by a sister who went by the
                      > name
                      > of Suzanna. Can anyone suggest what this was an Americanization of in
                      > Hungarian?
                      >

                      > I was always told I was Czech but I see by the census that the census
                      > taker
                      > in the early days put down Austria, then Hungary and then West Slovian or
                      > Czechoslovakian. I'm assuming this is the changing political times. My
                      > gfather was a minister in Slovak churches in Illinois and Pennsylvania.
                      > However, my father was careful to say that he considered himself Czech and
                      > of scholarly stock. I say this not to create separation but because I'm
                      > very
                      > confused on where to look for the European ties. Or, does it matter?
                      >

                      > I've read through some of the recently-posted messages and plan to start a
                      > tree on www.rodokmen.com.
                      >

                      > How do I find out where my local LDS history center is? What do I enter
                      > into
                      > the Google search field?
                      >

                      > Nice to meet you all.

                      Bill Tarkulich
                      http://www.iabsi.com
                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                        I can answer two of those questions:
                        http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp?PAGE=library_fhc_find.asp
                        that's to locate the Family History Library nearest you.

                        and try ZUSANA for the european/Slav version of the name Suzanna.
                        Welcome!

                        Caye

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                          Hi Cat, and welcome!

                          You'll be getting more responses I'm sure, but I can give you the
                          Hungarian spelling of Susanna: Zsuzsanna. The "zs" is pronounced like
                          the z in azure. (In contrast, the Hungarian combination of "sz" is
                          pronounced like the English s.

                          I'd be happy to look at the links you mention when I'm online next if
                          you send them to us. Other members usually prefer to look at a scan
                          that you post somewhere as instructed by Yahoo (I haven't done that
                          yet).

                          Elaine Powell

                          Sent from my iPhone

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                            Welcome to our group - when i checked the Slovak Pride data base for your surname I found 7 listings for Pribula - but the one that made me smile was a Pribula from Modra Bratislava County and it was submitted by a man named Cech which could sure sound like Czech.

                            helene

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 28, 2010
                              I've never heard of writing to Homeland Security/BCIS. What is BCIS?

                              Bill Tarkulich
                              http://www.iabsi.com

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 28, 2010
                                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm

                                Bill

> [...]

                                > of Suzanna. Can anyone suggest what this was an Americanization of in
                                > Hungarian?
                                >

                                > I was always told I was Czech but I see by the census that the census
                                > taker
                                > in the early days put down Austria, then Hungary and then West Slovian or
                                > Czechoslovakian. I'm assuming this is the changing political times. My
                                > gfather was a minister in Slovak churches in Illinois and Pennsylvania.
                                > However, my father was careful to say that he considered himself Czech and
                                > of scholarly stock. I say this not to create separation but because I'm
                                > very
                                > confused on where to look for the European ties. Or, does it matter?
                                >

                                > I've read through some of the recently-posted messages and plan to start a
                                > tree on www.rodokmen.com.
                                >

                                > How do I find out where my local LDS history center is? What do I enter

                                Bill Tarkulich
                                http://www.iabsi.com