Re: LDS films

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22 3:02 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "mimi3_49" <macheg@a...> wrote:
      > Although filming has been completed in all of Slovakia for some
      > time now, the records of western Slovakia have NOT been
      > indexed and put onto microfilm for us to borrow and view, yet. I
      > know because I am unable to get films for Holic, Kopcany, etc. in
      > Western Slovakia. I have been able to read films from the other
      > areas of Slovakia. LDS says it may take several years for the
      > records of western Slovakia to be put onto microfilm! The 1869
      > census of the Austrian-Hungarian is available on microfilm to
      > borrow from LDS for most of the areas, however and may be of
      > some help.

      What you wrote is not 100 % correct.

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed all the parish church records at only SIX
      of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

      They had finished filming at the Slovak State Archives at Bytc^a, but
      have not as yet filmed the Main Archives in Bratislava.

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      Holic^ is located 45 miles north of Bratislava and Kopc^any is located
      44 miles north of Bratislava.

      So parish church records do exist for Holic^ and Kopc^any, except the
      LDS-Mormons have not filmed them as yet.
      After filming it takes 2-3 years because the films are first sent to
      Germany for quality check.
      Only then are the master microfilms produced for distribution to the
      various LDS FHCs

      You would need to write the Main Archives (Archív hlavného
      mesta Bratislavy) to research your surname records.
      Their narrative research report will be written in Slovak, not
      English.
      If you don't know Slovak you would need to get their research report
      translated.

      There are three different rates.
      Clerical, the cheapest, the basic research, and the most difficult,
      the more expensive.
      They will do research you request then send you a bill which you must
      pay before they send the information.

      Slovak State Archives URLs

      http://www.netway.at/ihff/c.htm

      http://www.slovak.com/genealogy/adresy_na_slovensku.html

      The Czech Republic never permitted the LDS-Mormons to film parish
      church records because they wanted to keep the business for
      themeselves.
      Their narrative research report will be written in Czech, not English.
      If you don't know Czech you would need to get their research report
      translated.

      Have translated both Czech and Slovak research reports to English,
      and the Czechs do a better job than the Slovaks at their archives.

      To the best of my knowledge the 1869 Hungarian Census covered only
      Zemplén megye (county) in eastern Slovakia and part of Esztergom
      megye (5 reels)
      Believe 1869 Zemplén Census is on 169 reels of microfilm.

      I am surprised to learn that the LDS had filmed the other Hungarian
      counties in Slovakia.
      Of course, there never was a Hungarian census of Austria since parish
      church records were only local and (German) provinces (Kronlands)
      were the administrative units used.

      Frank Kurcina