Ellis Island etc.

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2002
      It pains me when I read someone is going on something they found from
      "the Ellis Island site" and no other information.

      Please remember that those transcriptions were done by humans, and even
      the people in charge readily admit it is full of mistakes.

      To search NY arrivals, the only sure way is to search the microfilms of
      arrivals yourself. There are guides to arrivals from 1820-1847 and a
      soundex for later 1903 (I think) to 1947, but from 1847 - 1903 there is
      no index. You have to narrow it down somehow or if you only know a year,
      search the entire year (I did this for 1865 looking for my
      gr/grandmother from Ireland, it took me nearly a year, but I did finally
      find her arrival)

      On the Helpful Hints page I have how to research NY arrivals.... please!
      If you "find someone" on the Ellis Island database, order the film for
      that date and search it yourself. It may not even be the right person -
      depending on how the transcriber interpreted handwriting.
      Plus you can see more details of the person on the film.

      I just hate when people only take data from sites online or othewise
      that they do not check out. That's a sure way to get mislead in your
      research.

      Maura

      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage