RE: [S-R] Plavec LDS records

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2002
      Susan,

      In my experience, I frequently found a date next to the cross which when I
      checked the death records, the death was recorded in the death list also.

      I believe that when the death followed soon (sometimes a year or more) after
      the birth, the custodian of the records went back to the birth record and
      added the information about the death just to add additional information.

      In my families, the parents wanted to insure that the father's and mother's
      first names were passed on to the next generation. Once a child was named,
      if that child died, the next child born of the same sex would then be given
      the same name. So there could be several sons with the same given name. If
      the cross was not added nor the death date provided, then it might be more
      difficult to understand which child named George survived and therefore is
      the George who later married.

      The next son could be born within a year. Since all of the records are not
      perfect if might be difficult to understand which George survived. The
      cross helps to know which ones did not.

      Frank R. Plichta
      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
      "Ja hl'adanie na celom svete za PLICHTA."
      "Das die Welt fuer PLICHTA suchen."
      "Je cherche le monde pour la famille PLICHTA."
      "Buscando el mundo por los PLICHTA."
      "Quaerere summa reum familia PLICHTA."
      I would appreciate receiving ANY information, about ANY Plichta, from ANY
      place, at ANY time in history.