Re: [S-R] finding my Gombar relatives

  • lacer55
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2002
      Vladimir,
      Anna Halkowicz was my great grandmother and I'm not sure where she
      came from in Czechoslovakia. She married Michael A. Gombar somewhere
      in Pennsylvania. The story goes that my grandfather was working in
      the coal mines and asked his friend if he knew anyone back home he
      could marry. They sent for Anna--so I don't know if the friend was
      from the same town as my gr-grandfather--Zemplinska like family lore
      has it or just probably the county of Zemplin. A newspaper article
      of their 50th wedding anniversary says they lived in Mt. Carmel Pa
      before moving to Connecticut. I found a baptism record of their
      first child in Mt. Carmel PA but no marriage info. Her name was
      spelled Halkowicz on the baptism paper for her son. On her death
      certificate her father is listed as John Halkovic and mother Anna
      Ryzak of unknown Czechoslovakia. She was born March 28, 1867 in
      Czechoslovakia and died April 2, 1941 in Bridgeport CT.
      Joeanna

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
      > Dear Joanna,
      > Can you please tell me whom , where and when did Anna Halkowicz
      marry?
      > As much as you know.
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir
      >
      > a + means, that the person died, probably as infant, but not
      exclusively.If it was baptized ( it is recorded in the Baptism
      records, not Birth records!), so it did not die at birth.
      > Need to find its death in death records, if there. May have died
      in unknown place at ynknown date (as a soldier etc.)

      I'll
      > keep trying. Trying to find his wife--Anna Halkowicz has also
      been
      > difficult.
      > Joeanna

      Service.