Re: [S-R] RECORD OF BIRTHS and DEATHS circ. 1925-1930

  • Pat Galovich
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 10 7:52 PM
      John: More good information - thank you. If I have no success with my written
      queries, I will attempt to be patient and wait until next summer when my
      husband and I plan to visit Slovakia. We will be heading to Prague for some
      sightseeing and then off to Bratislava and finally to Poprad, where there are
      "collateral" family members still residing. We are not able to ask their
      assistance in this matter however, as they are presently undergoing a major
      family medical problem. We had hoped to have some detailed, extensive family
      history to show these people upon our arrival next year, and I will continue to
      perserve with my research at this end. You and Vladimir have helped in this
      regard considerably.

      Regards,
      Pat
      ________________

      "There are others on this list that have a much better command of the language.
      I agree on your choice. Vladimir gave a good explanation of the names of the
      different offices and how the system works. When I visited the Matricny Urad,
      I had a relative with me. He suggested we take a small box of chocolates to
      each office. He casually laid it on the counter with out mentioning it and
      then started discussing the records that we wanted with the clerks ( I believe
      their title is matrikara). They were very cooperative and I'm sure would have
      assisted us without a token of appreciation. The clerks do not Xerox or scan
      the records. They type up official documents containing the critical
      information from the birth, marriage and death records. We had to purchase a
      40 SKK stamp (about $1.00 US) for each of the documents. That was the only
      charge.
      John