Re: [S-R] Village Location

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10 4:02 PM
      At 08:36 PM 7/10/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
      >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
      >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
      >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
      >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >Gary

      It is currently known as Kladzany and is located in Eastern Slovakia a few
      miles east of Vranov Nad Topl'ou. It was in the former Zemplin county.

      John
    • Adrienne Sowards
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11 7:56 AM
        I found a Kladzany Slovakia on www.maps.expedia.com

        >From: gcostel64@...
        >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [S-R] Village Location
        >Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:36:08 +0000
        >
        >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
        >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
        >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
        >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
        >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
        >
        >Thanks!
        >Gary

      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11 8:16 AM
          I would strongly suggest everyone, who is involved in genealogy, to buy a decent map of the area.
          For as much as the genealogy is about people, it is also about places and without having a good map one is lost and will place questions on and on.
          Regards,
          Vladimir Bohinc
          www.konekta.sk
          >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
          >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
          >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
          >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
          >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >Gary

        • R D Gale
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11 7:50 PM
            >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
            >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
            >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
            >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
            >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
            >
            >Thanks!
            >Gary

          • John M.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11 9:08 PM
              An excellent map resource for Slovakia is the"Podrobny Auto Atlas,
              Slovenska Republika".

              http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/65-9588.htm :
              "Slovakia--Autoatlas of the Slovenska Republika (Podrobny Auto Atlas
              Slovensk√° Republika). 1:100,000. Vokensky Kartograficky Ustav. An excellent
              spiral-bound road atlas produced from the military mapping of the country.
              The maps are shaded relief maps with road and tourist information,
              distances between intersections, and more. A multilingual legend and
              detailed index is included. In Slovak. Size is 12-3/;4 x 9-1/2". ISBN
              80-85510-57-X."

              http://pages.prodigy.net/daniel.kisha/_wsn/page3.html

              http://www.jupo.sk/offer/index.html

              John