Re: [S-R] RECORD OF BIRTHS and DEATHS circ. 1925-1930

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
      At 10:10 AM 7/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
      >John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested
      >and send
      >my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
      >explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this
      >List.
      >(Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future
      >reference.)
      >
      >Regards,
      >Pat

      There are others on this list that have a much better command of the
      language. I agree on your choice. Vladimir gave a good explanation of the
      names of the different offices and how the system works. When I visited
      the Matricny Urad, I had a relative with me. He suggested we take a small
      box of chocolates to each office. He casually laid it on the counter with
      out mentioning it and then started discussing the records that we wanted
      with the clerks ( I believe their title is matrikara). They were very
      cooperative and I'm sure would have assisted us without a token of
      appreciation. The clerks do not Xerox or scan the records. They type up
      official documents containing the critical information from the birth,
      marriage and death records. We had to purchase a 40 SKK stamp (about $1.00
      US) for each of the documents. That was the only charge.

      John
    • Pat Galovich
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
        John: More good information - thank you. If I have no success with my written
        queries, I will attempt to be patient and wait until next summer when my
        husband and I plan to visit Slovakia. We will be heading to Prague for some
        sightseeing and then off to Bratislava and finally to Poprad, where there are
        "collateral" family members still residing. We are not able to ask their
        assistance in this matter however, as they are presently undergoing a major
        family medical problem. We had hoped to have some detailed, extensive family
        history to show these people upon our arrival next year, and I will continue to
        perserve with my research at this end. You and Vladimir have helped in this
        regard considerably.

        Regards,
        Pat