Village Location

  • gcostel64@attbi.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
      I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
      record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
      and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
      was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
      cannot find it on a map anywhere.

      Thanks!
      Gary
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2002
        At 08:36 PM 7/10/02 +0000, you wrote:
        >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
        >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
        >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
        >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
        >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
        >
        >Thanks!
        >Gary

        It is currently known as Kladzany and is located in Eastern Slovakia a few
        miles east of Vranov Nad Topl'ou. It was in the former Zemplin county.

        John
      • Adrienne Sowards
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
          I found a Kladzany Slovakia on www.maps.expedia.com

          >From: gcostel64@...
          >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [S-R] Village Location
          >Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:36:08 +0000
          >
          >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
          >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
          >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
          >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
          >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >Gary

        • Konekta
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
            I would strongly suggest everyone, who is involved in genealogy, to buy a decent map of the area.
            For as much as the genealogy is about people, it is also about places and without having a good map one is lost and will place questions on and on.
            Regards,
            Vladimir Bohinc
            www.konekta.sk
            >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
            >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
            >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
            >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
            >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
            >
            >Thanks!
            >Gary

          • R D Gale
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
              >I recently found my great-grandmothers Ellis Island
              >record from 1904. Her nationality is listed as Slovak,
              >and the ship manifest lists the place that she came from
              >was Kladsan. Does anybody know where Kladsan is/was? I
              >cannot find it on a map anywhere.
              >
              >Thanks!
              >Gary

            • John M.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2002
                An excellent map resource for Slovakia is the"Podrobny Auto Atlas,
                Slovenska Republika".

                http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/65-9588.htm :
                "Slovakia--Autoatlas of the Slovenska Republika (Podrobny Auto Atlas
                Slovensk√° Republika). 1:100,000. Vokensky Kartograficky Ustav. An excellent
                spiral-bound road atlas produced from the military mapping of the country.
                The maps are shaded relief maps with road and tourist information,
                distances between intersections, and more. A multilingual legend and
                detailed index is included. In Slovak. Size is 12-3/;4 x 9-1/2". ISBN
                80-85510-57-X."

                http://pages.prodigy.net/daniel.kisha/_wsn/page3.html

                http://www.jupo.sk/offer/index.html

                John