Re: [S-R] RECORD OF BIRTHS and DEATHS circ. 1925-1930

  • Pat Galovich
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
      Vladimir: Yes, I will do that - thank you.
      Regards,
      Pat
      ________

      Konekta wrote:

      > Dear Pat,
      > I think, they have special forms for such queries. Contact them first by e-mail.
      > regards,
      > Vladimir

    • John M.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
        At 10:10 AM 7/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested
        >and send
        >my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
        >explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this
        >List.
        >(Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future
        >reference.)
        >
        >Regards,
        >Pat

        There are others on this list that have a much better command of the
        language. I agree on your choice. Vladimir gave a good explanation of the
        names of the different offices and how the system works. When I visited
        the Matricny Urad, I had a relative with me. He suggested we take a small
        box of chocolates to each office. He casually laid it on the counter with
        out mentioning it and then started discussing the records that we wanted
        with the clerks ( I believe their title is matrikara). They were very
        cooperative and I'm sure would have assisted us without a token of
        appreciation. The clerks do not Xerox or scan the records. They type up
        official documents containing the critical information from the birth,
        marriage and death records. We had to purchase a 40 SKK stamp (about $1.00
        US) for each of the documents. That was the only charge.

        John
      • Pat Galovich
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
          John: More good information - thank you. If I have no success with my written
          queries, I will attempt to be patient and wait until next summer when my
          husband and I plan to visit Slovakia. We will be heading to Prague for some
          sightseeing and then off to Bratislava and finally to Poprad, where there are
          "collateral" family members still residing. We are not able to ask their
          assistance in this matter however, as they are presently undergoing a major
          family medical problem. We had hoped to have some detailed, extensive family
          history to show these people upon our arrival next year, and I will continue to
          perserve with my research at this end. You and Vladimir have helped in this
          regard considerably.

          Regards,
          Pat