Re: [S-R] RECORD OF BIRTHS and DEATHS circ. 1925-1930

  • Konekta
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
      Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
      Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
      Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
      Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
      I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
      The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
      Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
      Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
      Regards,
      Vladimir
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
        At 09:58 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
        >"Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to
        >put it
        >another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
        >"matrika" should be used in place of matricny?
        >
        >I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.

        I defer to Vladimir on the spelling since I'm not fluent in Slovak or know
        it's grammar. Although matrika is correct, the grammar may call for the
        change from "k" to"c". I believe the "ny" ending is a possessive
        form. Obec is the word for village and I think the "ny" ending would make
        it read like the "Village's Office" or the office of the village (in our
        parlance, town hall).

        My experience was that in Bardejov, a larger town, the Obecny Urad and
        Matricny Urad were in two different locations. The two other Matricny Urad
        I visited were in smaller towns or villages. In both these cases, the
        Matricny and Obecny Urad were in the same building.

        John
        John
      • Pat Galovich
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
          John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested and send
          my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
          explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this List.
          (Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future reference.)

          Regards,
          Pat
          _____________________
          "John M." wrote:

          > At 09:58 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
          > >John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
          > >"Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to
          > >put it
          > >another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
          > >"matrika" should be used in place of matricny?
          > >
          > >I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.
          >
          > I defer to Vladimir on the spelling since I'm not fluent in Slovak or know
          > it's grammar. Although matrika is correct, the grammar may call for the
          > change from "k" to"c". I believe the "ny" ending is a possessive
          > form. Obec is the word for village and I think the "ny" ending would make
          > it read like the "Village's Office" or the office of the village (in our
          > parlance, town hall).
          >
          > My experience was that in Bardejov, a larger town, the Obecny Urad and
          > Matricny Urad were in two different locations. The two other Matricny Urad
          > I visited were in smaller towns or villages. In both these cases, the
          > Matricny and Obecny Urad were in the same building.
          > John
        • Pat Galovich
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
            Vladimir: Thank you for your most informative email. I will do as you suggest and send my query to the Slovak Embassy offices, here in Vancouver. I am very grateful for
            your time and expertise.

            Regards,
            Pat
            _____________

            Konekta wrote:

            > Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
            > Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
            > Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
            > Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
            > I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
            > The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
            > Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
            > Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
            > Regards,
            > Vladimir

          • Konekta
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
              Dear Pat,
              I think, they have special forms for such queries. Contact them first by e-mail.
              regards,
              Vladimir

              Konekta wrote:

              > Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
              > Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
              > Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
              > Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
              > I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
              > The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
              > Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
              > Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
              > Regards,
              > Vladimir

            • Pat Galovich
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                Vladimir: Yes, I will do that - thank you.
                Regards,
                Pat
                ________

                Konekta wrote:

                > Dear Pat,
                > I think, they have special forms for such queries. Contact them first by e-mail.
                > regards,
                > Vladimir

              • John M.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                  At 10:10 AM 7/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
                  >John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested
                  >and send
                  >my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
                  >explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this
                  >List.
                  >(Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future
                  >reference.)
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >Pat

                  There are others on this list that have a much better command of the
                  language. I agree on your choice. Vladimir gave a good explanation of the
                  names of the different offices and how the system works. When I visited
                  the Matricny Urad, I had a relative with me. He suggested we take a small
                  box of chocolates to each office. He casually laid it on the counter with
                  out mentioning it and then started discussing the records that we wanted
                  with the clerks ( I believe their title is matrikara). They were very
                  cooperative and I'm sure would have assisted us without a token of
                  appreciation. The clerks do not Xerox or scan the records. They type up
                  official documents containing the critical information from the birth,
                  marriage and death records. We had to purchase a 40 SKK stamp (about $1.00
                  US) for each of the documents. That was the only charge.

                  John
                • Pat Galovich
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                    John: More good information - thank you. If I have no success with my written
                    queries, I will attempt to be patient and wait until next summer when my
                    husband and I plan to visit Slovakia. We will be heading to Prague for some
                    sightseeing and then off to Bratislava and finally to Poprad, where there are
                    "collateral" family members still residing. We are not able to ask their
                    assistance in this matter however, as they are presently undergoing a major
                    family medical problem. We had hoped to have some detailed, extensive family
                    history to show these people upon our arrival next year, and I will continue to
                    perserve with my research at this end. You and Vladimir have helped in this
                    regard considerably.

                    Regards,
                    Pat